Sign in to follow this  

2016 Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

Very good season opener, I can't remember one like that in a long time!

I think Vettel probably did deserve the win, shame about the strategy but that's what happens sometimes, they thought they could make it work.

Grosjean was fantastic today. He obviously lucked in to a few places with the red flag, but you have to remember that he comfortably held off Force India, Williams and Toro Rosso for a good 20 laps or so. That car has got the speed!

Certainly the best debut for a brand new team in a very long time.

I'm going to say it and it hurts me to say it, Rosberg drove better than Hamilton today. Red flag helped the Mercs. The Alonso crash gave me flashbacks of Brundle, really glad he's ok, and in general the McLarens look a lot better than they did last year. The struggled even with DRS to overtake last year, also Renault engine looks like it's improved a bit.

Glad Alonso is okay that was scary. 

Ferrari messed up big time, that was Vettel's race. And of course Raikkonen's car would break. 

Hamilton got very lucky I think. He drove like crap, couldn't pass a teenager in a TR? I know those kids are good and the TR is fast but seriously? Certianly didn't deserve second. 

But it awesome for Grosjean and Haas. Hopefully it's not a one off. 

good race have to say that made up for the mess that was qualifying. Glad they're going back to the old system for the next race though.

I voted Grosjean.

Rosberg only won that race through lucky strategy, both Vettel and Hamilton were better than him today. Good race though, the new tyre rules have helped mix things up and it was just a simple change. They should take note of that fact for quality.
I agree that Rosberg was fortunate, but Hamilton made a terrible start and spent most of the race unable to pass a Toro Rosso. What exactly was it that he did "better" than Rosberg?

VetteIfan said:
I voted Grosjean.

Rosberg only won that race through lucky strategy, both Vettel and Hamilton were better than him today. Good race though, the new tyre rules have helped mix things up and it was just a simple change. They should take note of that fact for quality.
I agree that Rosberg was fortunate, but Hamilton made a terrible start and spent most of the race unable to pass a Toro Rosso. What exactly was it that he did "better" than Rosberg?
Just off the top of my head, when he wasn't stuck behind a TR, his lap times were always quicker than Rosberg. Rosberg lucked out on the strategy side, Hamilton having a bad getaway, and not getting a puncture when he closed the door into T1.

Not arguing about Vettel though are you? :p 

Drivers of the day for me were definitely Grosjean, Vettel and Palmer. Rosberg did deserve that win though, sure Ferrari messed up but just the fact Rosberg kept up with Vettel on the slower tyre showed it was probably a matter of when rather than if he passed him. No doubt Nico did the better job of the Merc's today. Sure Lewis was unlucky but it was his own bad start and he just didn't seem his usual attacking self today.
Glad to hear Alonso's okay. A shame as he probably could have got some points. Button probably could too if Mclaren didn't make the same mistake as Ferrari at the red flag.
And good to see Sainz stand his ground this time and give Max a taste of his own medicine. Max would have done exactly the same so why not. Palmer impressed me with how mature he was as well as aggressive. Showing he fully deserves that seat.

VetteIfan said:
I voted Grosjean.

Just off the top of my head, when he wasn't stuck behind a TR, his lap times were always quicker than Rosberg. Rosberg lucked out on the strategy side, Hamilton having a bad getaway, and not getting a puncture when he closed the door into T1.

You mean in the final part of the race when he was 10+ seconds behind? Surely I don't need to explain how that isn't an accurate pace comparison :p

I don't think it's unfair to say that Lewis was unusually average today, at best. If you swapped Hamilton and Rosberg's performance today I guarantee you wouldn't be saying that Rosberg was better than Lewis :p

It was close, but I do believe Rosberg had the edge over Lewis today. Yes Hamilton was quick once he got into clean air, but at the end Rosberg easily had an answer for him and remained a good distance ahead.

And to be honest, Lewis lost his own race today. His start just put him on the back foot straight away and to be honest I think he was very lucky to come away with 2nd, considering he struggled to pass the Toro Rossos, and Vettel and Raikkonen.

Without his retirement and the red flag mucking up Vettel's strategy, I doubt Lewis would have made the podium quite honestly.

VetteIfan said:
VetteIfan said:
I voted Grosjean.

You mean in the final part of the race when he was 10+ seconds behind? Surely I don't need to explain how that isn't an accurate pace comparison :p

I don't think it's unfair to say that Lewis was unusually average today, at best. If you swapped Hamilton and Rosberg's performance today I guarantee you wouldn't be saying that Rosberg was better than Lewis :p
And if you swapped Hamilton and Vettel's performance I bet you wouldn't be saying he was unusually average ;) And nope, but the thing is, Rosberg may have flashes where he can win, but overall, he isn't as good as Hamilton.

Well, as someone who isn't branded as being obviously biased, I thought both Rosberg and Hamilton were extremely average and Vettel was much better than the both of them. Which makes the actual result that much more depressing.

VetteIfan said:
VetteIfan said:
I voted Grosjean.

And if you swapped Hamilton and Vettel's performance I bet you wouldn't be saying he was unusually average ;) And nope, but the thing is, Rosberg may have flashes where he can win, but overall, he isn't as good as Hamilton.
I don't know why you keep bringing Vettel in to it seen as I've not even mentioned him once, but now you're just changing the topic. I've never denied that Hamilton is the better overall driver, but we were talking about today (or yesterday now), and yesterday Rosberg had a better race than Hamilton, no question. 

VetteIfan said:
VetteIfan said:
VetteIfan said:
I voted Grosjean.

I don't know why you keep bringing Vettel in to it seen as I've not even mentioned him once, but now you're just changing the topic. I've never denied that Hamilton is the better overall driver, but we were talking about today (or yesterday now), and yesterday Rosberg had a better race than Hamilton, no question. 
Rosberg had a better start, and a better strategy, no question :p There's no use saying he drove better when he's the inferior driver of the two. (And I'm not saying you said that before you jump on it!)

I think both their races were so fundamentally different that it's almost impossible to judge who was faster. Seeing by how much Lewis was able to close down the gap to Nico once he got past Ricciardo I think it's not completely out of question that he might have been a tad quicker. Then again, Nico was probably just cruising. Although that doesn't explain why his tyres were done and the team expected them to go off with 5 laps to go.

Rosberg closing the door on Hamilton at the start is hopefully a good sign that he's up for the fight this year.

Glad Alonso is ok. While I want gravel traps to exist to punish mistakes/stop drivers from ignorint the track, its clear why they're a danger during a crash. Scary moment but a good demonstration of how safe the cars are these days.

I think both their races were so fundamentally different that it's almost impossible to judge who was faster. Seeing by how much Lewis was able to close down the gap to Nico once he got past Ricciardo I think it's not completely out of question that he might have been a tad quicker. Then again, Nico was probably just cruising. Although that doesn't explain why his tyres were done and the team expected them to go off with 5 laps to go.
I can amen to that

I'm not religious, but I'll go with what GC said :p 

Pretty happy with this, even though it doesn't really mean a whole lot it went to the right person I'd say!

https://twitter.com/F1/status/711957099924697088

You know though that in actual fact, Rio Haryanto won the vote...

Someone shared an image on Twitter of the scores and he had 22,000 votes, compared to 13,000 for Grosjean who was next.

It shows how much of a huge following he has in Indonesia, so they had to take him out of the vote as so many from there voted for him just because they like him.

I can see that happening at every race to be honest, kinda annoying really.

Drivers of the day for me were definitely Grosjean, Vettel and Palmer. Rosberg did deserve that win though, sure Ferrari messed up but just the fact Rosberg kept up with Vettel on the slower tyre showed it was probably a matter of when rather than if he passed him. No doubt Nico did the better job of the Merc's today. Sure Lewis was unlucky but it was his own bad start and he just didn't seem his usual attacking self today.
Glad to hear Alonso's okay. A shame as he probably could have got some points. Button probably could too if Mclaren didn't make the same mistake as Ferrari at the red flag.
And good to see Sainz stand his ground this time and give Max a taste of his own medicine. Max would have done exactly the same so why not. Palmer impressed me with how mature he was as well as aggressive. Showing he fully deserves that seat.
yeah Grosjean would be mine as well to be able to score points in a car that is in effect racing it's debut race is quite some achievement.

MBKF1 said:
You know though that in actual fact, Rio Haryanto won the vote...

Someone shared an image on Twitter of the scores and he had 22,000 votes, compared to 13,000 for Grosjean who was next.

It shows how much of a huge following he has in Indonesia, so they had to take him out of the vote as so many from there voted for him just because they like him.

I can see that happening at every race to be honest, kinda annoying really.
Yeah I saw the 'real' poll too. But I don't find it annoying, just freaking hilarious. Poor Haryanto, he could put in the drive of the decade but it's not gonna matter because all of his votes are going to get excluded every week. 

Also worth pointing out that Kvyat finished 12th despite not even starting the race. Effort.

What exactly is the point in a driver of the day poll if they're going to decide what votes do and don't count based on a drivers popularity? Limiting someone to only one vote is good, discounting the votes someone has because they have a lot of fans is ridiculous.