Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

So, no force feedback, really?

Britpoint said:
I'm not going to go into this too much as I can't change how the FFB in GRID: Autosport feels to you - if you don't like it then you don't like it. It's a fair criticism and we'll take your feelings on it on board in the future.

However, the accusation that the Force Feedback has been stripped out since GRID 2 is simply inaccurate. The system that was in GRID 2 is also there in Autosport. Some tweaks have been made to make it suit the new handling (how successful or otherwise those tweaks were is of course up to you to decide), but it is still there. I'm not sure what rotation your wheel is set to, but we mostly worked at about 270 degrees. If you're higher than that perhaps try bringing it down and see if that feels any better to you.

Thx for the answer and you are right. I just tested it. 

Got in grid 2 and hit the car in the wall (fastest and easiest way to do a wheel turn by itself) the wheel turned to about a 35º position. 

Then i got in grid autosport and did the same the wheel did indeed apply force and turn but far lower. 

So i humbly apologise for my accusation, i tought so cause the options section was renamed from "vibration & feedback" to vibration. And while in game i can hardly feel anything in GA.

But still it is REALLY weak, i have everything maxed and the wheel barely moved when hiting the wall sideways. there is any other way out of the game to make it more aggressive? All my options in game are already at 100% lol

Thx for the answer and sorry for getting angry without being fair. 

NOW I AM ANGRY CAUSE THE FORCEFEEDBACK IS TOO WEAK! (but its already a beggining!) LOL 

You said earlier in the thread you were using a DFGT on PC didn't you? In that case have a look at your Logitech profiler settings. If you go to Global Device Settings (or profile specific settings if you have set up a separate Autosport profile) you can push the Overall Effects Strength up past 100%. Give that a go and see if it helps. You can also try reducing it which seems counter intuitive but could help if you are suffering from 'clipping' (where the wheel receives a signal too strong for it to handle).

In the Logitech Profiler our FFB was set up with the following settings in mind:

Overall Effects Strength: 100% (<- This should be the one you try boosting past 100%)
Spring Effect Strength: 100%
Damper Effect Strength: 100%
(You may also wish to try setting spring and damper effect to 0%. Many games run with that. I find having them at 100% gives a sense of weight that suits GRID but may dull some of the more subtle feedback)

Enable Centering Spring: Disabled

Degrees of rotation: 270.

You may need to untick 'Allow game to adjust settings'.

Let me know how you get on.

Britpoint said:
You said earlier in the thread you were using a DFGT on PC didn't you? In that case have a look at your Logitech profiler settings. If you go to Global Device Settings (or profile specific settings if you have set up a separate Autosport profile) you can push the Overall Effects Strength up past 100%. Give that a go and see if it helps. You can also try reducing it which seems counter intuitive but could help if you are suffering from 'clipping' (where the wheel receives a signal too strong for it to handle).

In the Logitech Profiler our FFB was set up with the following settings in mind:

Overall Effects Strength: 100% (<- This should be the one you try boosting past 100%)
Spring Effect Strength: 100%
Damper Effect Strength: 100%
(You may also wish to try setting spring and damper effect to 0%. Many games run with that. I find having them at 100% gives a sense of weight that suits GRID but may dull some of the more subtle feedback)

Enable Centering Spring: Disabled

Degrees of rotation: 270.

You may need to untick 'Allow game to adjust settings'.

Let me know how you get on.

You are the best sir! 

I did  just set the overall strength to 125% and it GOT THE FEELING! In the test race (in hard) i already set the fastest laptime in race at openwheel

So i removed the in game control and put to 125 in profiler and it comes in my face!!! Really felt like grid 2 FF that i love so much, now going for 150% to try it! :D I guess it will be even better!!! 

I apologise for this tread, shame on me, now you guys are entitled to close this tread, ban me from forum, punch me in the face and burn my house. (humn... ok, maibe not THAT much but you got the point). 

Ok, set it to 150% and it is GREAT now. Thank you very much! 

One single complain remain, i still don't feel the wheel losing its weight when losing traction thats how a car behave in real life and it is great to feel that way, but overall game improved 150% to me (got it? HA!). 

my speedwheel rumbles like crazy when at 100 percent vib...i love it

I thought it was a tad weak at first, but after adjusting the setting in the in-game options menu and picking it up to 75% (It was at default 50%) Seems good now.

i wasn't complaining about the vibration, just about the actual feedback (wheel applying lateral force when supposed to in real life) it did get far better, still i found grid 2 feedback far better, but for sure it is subjective. i wish there was an option of "grid 2 mode" for feedback. 

In Grid 2 you always can feel before the car loses traction, with those alterations here i now SOMETIMES can feel it. but even when the car do lose grip the wheel don't lose weight as it used in grid 2. Not a HUGE deal, but i personally miss it. :( 

Its all about perception. I use a Fanatec CSR wheel on Xbox360 and I'm very satisfied with the force feedback. If you aren't getting any force feedback I would call tech support because it's there. 

Its all about perception. I use a Fanatec CSR wheel on Xbox360 and I'm very satisfied with the force feedback. If you aren't getting any force feedback I would call tech support because it's there. 
it is, now i got it insanelly strong, but the overall FFB effects TO ME PERSONAL TASTE (always good to be clear on that point) are not as good as in grid 2, but with the settings at 150% the overal strength is close to what it was at 100% in grid 2, and yes, i like a heavy wheel and i like when it tries to run from under my hand when cornering or hiting the escape area. but i do understand that this is personal taste. still i like the realist way. In grid 2 even with the handling not being any real the feedback felt so real that it made up for me. :D 

Purple44 said:
I like 150% for my DFGT wheel, but have not got to test GRID Autosport yet.

Hi, plz what exactly does the centering spring? i put it out. Am i missing something? 

Centering spring should be the force the wheel uses to return to center. You probably want to turn that down if you have to use quick steering ie Rear Wheel Drive cars 

Turn enable centering spring off. Well, unless you like the feel of it of course. But all it is is a spring that attempts to push the wheel back to centre. It is not a force feedback effect dictated by the software and is designed to give you a sense of resistance when you are playing a game without force feedback.

its off here, by now the driving got really better and some cars have that feeling that i was talking about when losing traction, for instance the category A from touring (that in my lists seens to be everybody favorite). 

I am brazilian i never really cared with brazilian stock car, but after feeling how awesome is the car that those guys drive i will begin to watch it ALWAYS. :D 

Bigamo said:

Hi, plz what exactly does the centering spring? i put it out. Am i missing something? 

Centering spring should be the force the wheel uses to return to center. You probably want to turn that down if you have to use quick steering ie Rear Wheel Drive cars 
It like when you let go of a wheel in a car, it will try and go back to center.

I like this with my wheel, but don't want it to strong, cause then you may be fighting the center spring when turning the wheel. Come in useful when derby racing with GRID. ;)

I get my 243 rotation from when I had a MOMO wheel. MOMO wheel would turn all the way to 8 o'clock position to the left and would turn all the way to 4 o'clock position to the right ( 240 degrees ). Using a side camera, you see car's wheels were fully turn left at 9 o'clock and car's wheels were fully turn right at 3 o'clock. With using 243 degrees with the 900 degree DFGT wheel, I know I only need to turn my wheel half way to get a full turn left or right.

I know some players that like around 200 degree rotation, but I find that make my wheel to sensitive, making me over steer.

Bigamo said:
I get a lot of FFB with wheel centering, load effects, tyre slip, rumble strips and camber, back end twitch and breakaway, under/over steer feel.

Maybe your wheel is not on the list of supported wheels, I am using a G25 and it is great!

I got good feedback in Grid 2 as well which actually showed me how bad the handling was, maybe you are just expecting too much slide and squeal, this game is not like that, if you get the lines right the wheel should be fairly even as you are not upsetting the car like Grid 2.

You cannot compare the car feel in Grid 2 to this, 'This is racing'

Man... i am geting tired of explain :( 

Make the test yourself, geting your car to the grass, or hit something or do ANYTHING. and see if the wheel you push to ANY side, it will NOT, cause it is DEAD! For God sake! 

THERE IS NO FORCE FEEDBACK AT ALL. I needed to show it to my friends in a race room for then understand too, and they got the same reaction as i did when i finally understood that.

Disapointment, its depressing! 

Your wheel will NOT push to any side that is not the center. Go to a inclined track indianapolis for intance. Press the gas and watch your car just go straight.

THIS IS NOT a Car reaction, and you have NOT UNDERSTEER AND OVERSTEER FEEL. you have VIBRATION and thats it. 

Even in the options where it says "vibration and feedback" in Grid 2, in Grid AutoSport says only "Vibration". 

And they HIDE it from us as you see there was a acusation that the game would NOT support force feedback and Codemasters said NOTHING about it. 

I never really cared about the non inside cam thing, but no force feedback is a MAJOR FLAW. deal braker completely, it is the kind of thing that you don't even ask, cause "who would make a game without force feedback support in 2014?" 

And the worst part is that grid 2 had it and this game being little more than a mod of grid 2, so WHY REMOVE IT? 

And understand that grid 2 had screwed physics decided just over the launch since you can see in game that the AI does NOT Drift and behave as it behave in autosport, just the player car have that behavior, but to be honest i like grid 2 more cause even with the screwed physics the feeling of driving is just GREAT, since it have true and well done FORCE FEEDBACK.

So i can BET that you after test it will be disapointed as everyone else that did the test and finally understood why there was something "missing" in the wheel, cause it REALLY HAD SOMETHING MISSING, the force feedback!

And yes, i am angry! :D 

Anyone who thinks GRID2 is closer to real driving and a great game has zero credibility in my book. Sorry, just my opinion. I raced in SCAA Cup for three years. GAS is not perfect or even close to a true simulator, but at least it's not a drift fest. You don't happen to own one of those cars that bounces up and down now do you?

Bigamo said:
You proberly did this but to be sure I ask it.
On default ffb is set on off in options did you put it on there?

Also mentioning if it is for console of pc would help people to help you.   :)

I am playing at PC with a Driving Force GT.

It DOES NOT have a Feedback option in the options, just a "Vibration" option!
I´m agree, in part, that th FF in this game is very low but i can feel it and exist, and i was very used to Grid 2 weird control maybe because its constantly drift like any turn, and in that case the FF is maybe difficult to appreciate for obvious reasons.

But i want to tell you that DFGT is not a good wheel to measure FF because of its nature and mechanism response. In a two quick turns, let say a "chicane", the DFGT is loose and weird with this because there´s no time to respond the mechanism so quick and what is feel is like the car is "in the air", is a bad feeling because it lose the information in your hands, the grip, the real tires position and height are not well trasnsfered to the wheel system, is like have a half of the feel. The first turn is feels right but the second is not there, no info, no mechanism to tranfer what it is happening, not enough time for this wheel.

With Logitech G27 this aspect is resolved with a mechanism of two parts that are enough quick to give the info and sensation in the wheel, so you feel two quick turns very quick and don´t seems that the car is in the air in the second quick turn.

I experience a lot with these two models and, honestly, DFGT is a good wheel but is not by far so good to point as a reference FF wheel. I was trying these days with both and Autosport, with the DFGT it seems to no response but in Grid 2 what i felt is a weird sensation that for me is not FF, is not a real info about the car, tyres, steer position; maybe to the simcade nature of the game.

After 40 hours playing with the G27 one of the things i like in AS is the overall feel with the wheel, with the G27, is a question of taste, nobody uses the same adjust and settings in the same game, is a peripheral very sensitive and personal, but in AS i feel smooth, very, very smooth, responsive and predictable and the clutch is improved, and yes, i feel the FF less than other games but i made probes and i feel how the wheel tells me where the tyres and steer are, especially in Open Wheel and quick turns, but i have to say that i´m one of those people wich likes very low forces like vibration and steer opossed force, so for my taste this game is much better improved than other in terms of feel and overall feel, althought the FF is very soft.

Salute.

P.s. still i can´t play any Challenges and can´t connect to RaceNet; waiting CM fixes the accounts, at least for a ton of people with PSN and Steam; i have to say it XD
;)

Bigamo said:
   Funny thing, Grid 2 had several flaws, but the force feedback implementation was great, as soon as i began to play i released that the feeling was not translating to the wheel in the same manner that it did in grid 2, then after 2 days playing non stop and lost all my cars and upgrades from 250 online games in a corrupted save i finally have understood that the game have NO FORCE FEEDBACK AT ALL. FFS, its just copy/paste Grid2 force feedback profiles! Where is it? :( 

Short response - LOAD YOUR WHEEL SOFTWARE IN WINDOWS and THEN SELECT YOUR WHEEL IN GAME and FORCE FEEDBACK OPTIONS WILL NOW BE AVAILABLE.

Long response - I just purchased this game on 2014 Black Friday Steam sale and with my old Logitech G25 I loaded up the game. I too noticed something was off.. I then realized FF or vibration was non existent. I went looking under options for this setting and first realized my G25 wheel was not listed but a wheel option was present so I selected that. I also had to assign the brake for some reason. So I go back into the game and still no FF or options. I enabled vibration and still no Force Feedback on my wheel. Well I just reloaded my system about 2 weeks earlier and had no software installed only the windows drivers. I went searching Logitech and downloaded the G25 64bit software. I went back into the game and now my G25 was a control option I could select. I picked it and noticed all my controls were showing up with little wheel icons for the steering etc. I go back under options and what do you know, NOW I have feedback, weight options. So I simply had to download the Logitech software and select my wheel in game to get everything INCLUDING ACTUAL Force Feedback to work(not just vibration).

I figured I would post my update to this thread for future google searchs that lead people here. Cool game, I likely won't have much time to spend with it as well. Tough getting time to veg out in games now with family and work(well worth it though).