Sign in to follow this  

2016 Bahrain Grand Prix

I've just read now that Fernando Alonso will NOT be participating in this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix. His seat is most likely to be taken by Stoffel Vandoorne, thus meaning his F1 debut. Seems somewhat of an omen that Fernando suffers injury in an F1 car at the start of the season (Last season at Barcelona Testing) 

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24184/10223829/mclarens-fernando-alonso-misses-bahrain-gp-due-to-injury

While I'm obviously disappointed for Fernando, I am over the moon for Vandoorne, this is his big opportunity to show everyone he's got what it takes, and against Jenson Button too. This is big.

Remember the last new driver who covered for an injured driver? A certain Sebastian Vettel...and he didn't do too badly.

MBKF1 said:
Remember the last new driver who covered for an injured driver? A certain Sebastian Vettel...and he didn't do too badly.
*ahem*

MBKF1 said:
While I'm obviously disappointed for Fernando, I am over the moon for Vandoorne, this is his big opportunity to show everyone he's got what it takes, and against Jenson Button too. This is big.

Technically it was Alex Rossi at Marussia in 2014, but he didn't actually race... :p 

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alonso-reveals-he-had-a-pneumothorax-broken-rib-683214/

Ouch.

Oh yeah of course forgot about all them :p But yeah, reading about Alonso's injuries, I never realised how serious they actually were. No surprise now that he isn't racing this weekend. 

MBKF1 said:
Oh yeah of course forgot about all them :p But yeah, reading about Alonso's injuries, I never realised how serious they actually were. No surprise now that he isn't racing this weekend. 

Indeed he's better off being asfe than sory especially given the stresses the body goes through driving one of those things

will he be missed ???????????????????
i think not

I'll miss him. He's still one of my favourites. But if the doctors don't give him the all-clear, then so be it. Safety and well-being always comes first.
And Vandoorne certainly deserves a shot in a F1 car.

Imagine if Button finished 3rd in qualifying tomorrow, not going to get too excited but really want to see McLaren up that high. I'd actually have a "crisis" if they did finish that high up.

pls no

Also, not looking forward to a race where Mercedes are fucking 2 seconds faster than everybody else.

Hughesy said:
Imagine if Button finished 3rd in qualifying tomorrow, not going to get too excited but really want to see McLaren up that high. I'd actually have a "crisis" if they did finish that high up.
Have to admit I'd find I third not to smile if he pulled it off.

Was a great lap from Button but I can't imagine he'll be that high at the end of qualy, although I obviously hope he is. Though considering he set that on the same tyre/conditions as all those around him it could suggest a Q3 is possible.

Was a great lap from Button but I can't imagine he'll be that high at the end of qualy, although I obviously hope he is. Though considering he set that on the same tyre/conditions as all those around him it could suggest a Q3 is possible.
I don't think s oeither bu the McLaren definitely looks better this year compared to last but if he can take some good solid points this weekend I think he'll be happy with that.

Kevin Magnussen will start from pit lane for the race after failing to stop at the red light for a weight check during practice.

Link

First impression of the new format. I don't hate it as much as I thought I would. With some tweaking it could work out into something decent.

FOM need to turn off tyre wear and fuel use to make this work.

Also get rid of the dumb fucking rule of starting on the tyres you qualify on.

FOM needs to get rid of this altogether, because it won't work.

I've never been this close to dropping F1 altogether after taking a break from it in the last season.

What a mega lap by Lewis given the pressure.

Quali yet another failure under the new format, who would have thought? Ow yeah, everyone.

Super lap by Lewis. Pole 3 seconds faster than last year. Take away the supersoft to soft tyre difference and that's probably around 2 seconds of car improvement in 12 months. Very good. 

The depressing part is Ferrari have fallen 0.1 off the pace compared to last year. Every step they make is matched by Mercedes' and is further confirmation for me carrying on from Melbourne that it will be Rosberg vs Hamilton part III this season (i.e Hamilton being a 4 time champ). Bring on 2017 regs, I guess.