Sign in to follow this  

2016 Bahrain Grand Prix

VetteIfan said:
Super lap by Lewis. Pole 3 seconds faster than last year. Take away the supersoft to soft tyre difference and that's probably around 2 seconds of car improvement in 12 months. Very good. 

The depressing part is Ferrari have fallen 0.1 off the pace compared to last year. Every step they make is matched by Mercedes' and is further confirmation for me carrying on from Melbourne that it will be Rosberg vs Hamilton part III this season (i.e Hamilton being a 4 time champ). Bring on 2017 regs, I guess. 
Vettel does seem to have good race pace though (and fast starts) so I still think he will be fighting the Mercs.

https://twitter.com/f1fanatic_co_uk/status/716322559290118149

Good news 
https://twitter.com/chrismedlandf1/status/716325625842282497

Reprimand is probably appropriate in and of itself, but how does this make Magnussen's penalty fair? Total lack of consistency in stewarding, nothing new here.

Qualifying was rubbish again, simply put. Even the end of Q1 and 2 was bad this time. They just need to revert to what they had, this system won't work. And definitely not that reverse grid rubbish I kept hearing about in practice.

Mexicola said:
Reprimand is probably appropriate in and of itself, but how does this make Magnussen's penalty fair? Total lack of consistency in stewarding, nothing new here.
Because the stewards told Lewis he wasn't parked in the right position, hence he rolled back, so really the stewards are to blame ;) Magussen noticed the red light but ignored it as he thought it was someone else.

I hope that's the end of the qualifying experiment. It's done nothing positive at all.

Q2 was the worst this time I thought, at least Q3 had a battle between the top 4, but that should be happening once the chequered flag has fallen, not with 2 minutes remaining.

They've tried it twice now and the new qualifying simply doesn't work with the current tyre and fuel situation. If it isn't dropped for China then it will highlight even further the issues with the decision making processes in Formula 1.

MBKF1 said:
Q2 was the worst this time I thought, at least Q3 had a battle between the top 4, but that should be happening once the chequered flag has fallen, not with 2 minutes remaining.

They've tried it twice now and the new qualifying simply doesn't work with the current tyre and fuel situation. If it isn't dropped for China then it will highlight even further the issues with the decision making processes in Formula 1.
That's the thing though - that excitement was present with the previous system - all this one has done is make that 3 minutes from the end rather than at the end. I haven't once during this system been on the edge of my seat seeing if somebody will be out or not. Most of the time I'm sitting there in disbelief that 3 drivers are out 270 seconds or something before they're even out. 

Jiggy said:
FOM needs to get rid of this altogether, because it won't work.

I've never been this close to dropping F1 altogether after taking a break from it in the last season.

yeah have to admit usually I'm excited to enjoy and watch F1 more at the start of a new season than I am towards the latter end of it but tbh I'm feeling just as jaded now for F1 as I normally do at the end of a season which is unusual for me. I'm not sure whether it's because  I'm losing interest in the sport or not and whether the qualifying system has really affected my feelings for it. But I will say I don't think the new qualifying is helping matters.

I'm not gonna comment on quali because I think most of you have already said exactly what my thoughts are on it too.

What I will say though, is that I scared the shit outta my cat shouting "YES!!" when Hamilton got pole ;) 

The only good thing this qualifying has brought is that we get to focus on the teams battling for the final spots. With the old system Manor/Wehrlein wouldn't have gotten any coverage as all the focus would be on whoever was going fast. Drop the system but keep focus on the teams fighting for a spot in the next session imo.

MBKF1 said:

Kind of hope they don't drop it for China.

Not because I like the system, but I really doubt the powers have it in them to fix F1 at this point, so morbid curiosity took over and now I want to see how bad it can really get.

So the teams want to go back to the 2015 format, but FIA/FOM don't as that would admit they were wrong. Proposal of having 2 fastest times added together, obviously aiming for making things worse.

My proposal is that drivers have to complete a lap going both ways around the track and add those times together. Keep the sessions to 15 minutes so drivers could be doing their reverse lap while someone is doing their normal lap. That'll make things exciting.

Platy said:
So the teams want to go back to the 2015 format, but FIA/FOM don't as that would admit they were wrong. Proposal of having 2 fastest times added together, obviously aiming for making things worse.

My proposal is that drivers have to complete a lap going both ways around the track and add those times together. Keep the sessions to 15 minutes so drivers could be doing their reverse lap while someone is doing their normal lap. That'll make things exciting.

yeah sounds like they really do want to kill off the sport

Bernie is utterly deluded, why can he not bloody realise that NO ONE thinks the elimination qualifying works? He seems to be the only one. Same with Todt, he says he reads loads of social media (which I'm sure is a load of bollocks), so if he really did read it he'd surely see all the tweets saying how terrible it is.

I say get Alex Wurz to run the sport, the guy has a fantastic political head, and knows exactly what the drivers want and how they think, and clearly also sees what the fans want. He should be the man.

C4's coverage and team are pretty good so far. Steve Jones is a good presenter, Susie bringing the knowledge and Mark bringing the good looks.

Oh dear Ferrari, shame as I really thought he could challenge the Mercs.

Platy said:
C4's coverage and team are pretty good so far. Steve Jones is a good presenter, Susie bringing the knowledge and Mark bringing the good looks.
For me Steve Jones isn't quite there just yet, but his knowledge is up-to-date and he's fairly likeable. Once he's got a season under his belt he'll be all there with it I think :) 

Deffo a good team though, I like everybody they have for C4.

Well, there's another win for Rosberg. Bottas out-braked himself and pretty much just rammed Hamilton. 

Some pretty awesome action, but we won't have a battle for the win now it seems!

Credit to F1, the changes with the starts have been a great rule change.