Official Football Thread

Liverpool will struggle due to CL, I agree. They need another solid striker, and just a bigger squad overall IMO. They have some work to do.

AMS97KRR said:
Liverpool will struggle due to CL, I agree. They need another solid striker, and just a bigger squad overall IMO. They have some work to do.
I'll be interested to see how well they do in Europe. Its all dependent on Suarez and Sturridge imo

That is their main issue though, Suarez and Sturridge cannot play every game. This season they have been lucky they had no cup runs going on for long and no European competition. They literally haven't been any further than somewhere like London, Southampton, Norwich or Newcastle. 

If Suarez is injured for a few months, who will cover? This may also be an issue for certain areas for Man United, we buy 6 or 7 players, then 2 get injured at once, say in centre mid, and we have a major issue again.

They need to spend wisely in the summer. Next season is going to be very interesting for many teams. Man United enter the unknown again, Liverpool back in the UCL.

Liverpool have only been in the title race because they've played more or less 20 games less than Chelsea or City. Don't get me wrong they're attack has been fantastic, but they've relied far too much on this " we will outscore you" policy far too much this year. They should be prioritizing a world class center back to play alongside Skrtel next year if they have league and CL  to play next year. 

EdMa said:
Liverpool have only been in the title race because they've played more or less 20 games less than Chelsea or City.
That's an incredibly bitter and pathetic excuse. Yes, playing less games is advantageous for you in the league but attributing Liverpool's title challenge down to that is plain ignoring just how brilliant they have played at times this season. In any case, Chelsea and City have both been bankrolled by billionaires for some time now; why not say that they're in the title race only because they have craploads of money to spend?
they've relied far too much on this " we will outscore you" policy far too much this year.
As far as I know the primary goal (pun unintended) in football is to score as many as possible. If anything Liverpool deserve the league title the most because they've best fulfilled this objective.

EdMa said:
Liverpool have only been in the title race because they've played more or less 20 games less than Chelsea or City.
That's an incredibly bitter and pathetic excuse. Yes, playing less games is advantageous for you in the league but attributing Liverpool's title challenge down to that is plain ignoring just how brilliant they have played at times this season. In any case, Chelsea and City have both been bankrolled by billionaires for some time now; why not say that they're in the title race only because they have craploads of money to spend?
they've relied far too much on this " we will outscore you" policy far too much this year.
As far as I know the primary goal (pun unintended) in football is to score as many as possible. If anything Liverpool deserve the league title the most because they've best fulfilled this objective.

I've never understood the 'ugly football' debate. I don't care how I win, as long as I do. At the end of the day, no one remembers the team that passed ridiculous amounts of times before taking a shot and ended up losing. They remember the team that played smart and won. (Chelsea v Barcelona, CL 2012) In my opinion, a perfectly executed counter-attack is one of the most beautiful things in football.

I'd rather win 10 games 1-0 than win a game 3-0 but lose the next game because we were outsmarted and couldn't adapt.

yugin96 said:
EdMa said:
Why not read the bit where I said that there attack has been brilliant, you fucking idiot? 

So what's all this whinging from Rodgers and Liverpool fans come from then today. We played defensively, yet it's apparently not the right way to play. Only seem to say that when it suits their agenda-which conveniently isn't when Chelsea are the only team doing anything good in Europe. Keeping England's co-efficients up and thus maintaining 4 CL places. 

Hardly a bitter and pathetic excuse. By Wednesday we'll have played 12 CL matches and 2 COC matches more than Liverpool as well as the Super Cup. Mourinho was right when he said that Liverpool would have a shot at the title because they only play once every 7 days, whilst City, Chelsea and Arsenal (who were their rivals at the time) had Cup and Champions League games to contend with. I always said that the team who won the league would be the one who didn't go as far in the other competitions. And it turns out to be the team who wasn't even good enough last year to get into the Europa League. 

Yes, you said they've have been brilliant, but when you also said that the only reason they're in the title race is the fewer games they've played you implied that their brilliant football was not the driving force behind their title challenge- which really is no more than denial.

I don't know what your sources are but there has been quite a lot of moaning about Chelsea's defensive football during the Atletico match. Obviously though Liverpool fans and the Liverpool manager would complain more when Liverpool were the ones trying to score against a bus-parking team; isn't that natural?

As for the part about a bitter, pathetic excuse, I said that, again, because you cited that as the only reason why Liverpool are at the top. Had you said that it was one of a number of factors I'd have wholeheartedly agreed with you, but to say it is the sole factor is just untrue and a disservice to the manager's and players' efforts, and takes the weight off any compliments you might have subsequently paid them.

I've never understood the 'ugly football' debate. I don't care how I win, as long as I do.
And what if every team plays like Chelsea did yesterday? Imagine if Liverpool had setup the way their opponents did- the entire match would have consisted of one team passing the ball in their own half, making the occasional attack forward with a couple of players, and losing the ball to the crowd of opposition players, and the cycle would just repeat itself. Football would be dead if that happens. It's the teams that dare to attack that make things interesting.

Liverpool are hardly about possession and nothing else. 96 goals in 36 games would prove that. 

yugin96 said:
EdMa said:
Indeed and I like watching games with plenty of goals those types of games are really exciting

I wasn't talking about Liverpool in particular, rather the tactics frequently associated with 'beautiful football'. Barcelona's tiki-taka where they get about 70% possession by playing keepings-off is called 'beautiful' while a team that sits back, defends well chooses when to attack, and does so with potency is called 'ugly'?

Look at yesterday's match. Liverpool had 73% possession, Chelsea 27%. Liverpool, 26 shots, Chelsea, 11. People lambaste Chelsea for parking the bus and praise Liverpool for their attacking style. How did that game turn out?

What about last week? Chelsea 62% possession, 31 shots to 7. 2-1 loss. Everton v United? 2-0 with only 39% possession.

In Europe? Real Madrid, 36% of the ball. 1-0 win. September last year, Real Madrid v Atletico. Atletico 37%, 1-0 winners.

You won't get 5-0 routs every week, but so called 'ugly' football trumps possession football when executed correctly.

They've played brilliant attacking football because they're players don't tire or get injured because they have a full weeks recovery between games rather than three or four days. Therefore performances will be at as consistent level which is easy to keep up when you have the best strikers in the league. The fact were just behind you with the three worst strikers in the top half of the League shows how crap your defense has been. What part of all that are you finding so hard to understand?

You bringing up us having the two best strikers and you having the three worst is irrelevant. If anything it highlights our successes and your failures in the transfer market.

I fully understand your point about us having more time to recover between games, but you haven't substantiated why that is the sole and most important factor in our title challenge. I could just as easily point at this refeering decision or that injury and say, oh look, that's why Chelsea are in the title race, but I don't, because that's not the main reason why Chelsea are near the top- their consistency over those outside the top three is. Similarly Liverpool's less crowded schedule helped their title challenge, but the main reason why they've won so many games is because they've been scoring goals so freely.

If you still insist on your stand, then let me point out that Liverpool's squad is extremely thin and and lacks cover in many areas. Sturridge and Suarez are brilliant, but outside of that who do we have? Aspas? In defence, losing Enrique means we've had to cover for him with an inexperienced youngster in Flanagan for much of the season, while our cover for Agger and Skrtel are the frankly hopeless on-loan Cissokho and Sakho who isn't much better. Chelsea and City on the other hand have much more money at their disposal and have been funded by mega-rich owners for a number of years now (Chelsea more so than City). It's their fault if they can't use those funds to build a team that can handle extra midweek games. If you're so intent on insisting that our lack of European football is the main reason behind our title challenge, then answer this: Do Liverpool, coming off the back of ownership turmoil and funded by decently rich owners, not deserve the title if they finish above City and Chelsea, both with billionaire owners giving their managers money to spend at will for the past few seasons (and even longer for Chelsea, in fact)?

I wasn't talking about Liverpool in particular, rather the tactics frequently associated with 'beautiful football'. Barcelona's tiki-taka where they get about 70% possession by playing keepings-off is called 'beautiful' while a team that sits back, defends well chooses when to attack, and does so with potency is called 'ugly'?

Look at yesterday's match. Liverpool had 73% possession, Chelsea 27%. Liverpool, 26 shots, Chelsea, 11. People lambaste Chelsea for parking the bus and praise Liverpool for their attacking style. How did that game turn out?

What about last week? Chelsea 62% possession, 31 shots to 7. 2-1 loss. Everton v United? 2-0 with only 39% possession.

In Europe? Real Madrid, 36% of the ball. 1-0 win. September last year, Real Madrid v Atletico. Atletico 37%, 1-0 winners.

You won't get 5-0 routs every week, but so called 'ugly' football trumps possession football when executed correctly.
So much truth.

EdMa said:
yugin96 said:
EdMa said:
Why not read the bit where I said that there attack has been brilliant, you fucking idiot? 

So what's all this whinging from Rodgers and Liverpool fans come from then today. We played defensively, yet it's apparently not the right way to play. Only seem to say that when it suits their agenda-which conveniently isn't when Chelsea are the only team doing anything good in Europe. Keeping England's co-efficients up and thus maintaining 4 CL places. 

Hardly a bitter and pathetic excuse. By Wednesday we'll have played 12 CL matches and 2 COC matches more than Liverpool as well as the Super Cup. Mourinho was right when he said that Liverpool would have a shot at the title because they only play once every 7 days, whilst City, Chelsea and Arsenal (who were their rivals at the time) had Cup and Champions League games to contend with. I always said that the team who won the league would be the one who didn't go as far in the other competitions. And it turns out to be the team who wasn't even good enough last year to get into the Europa League. 
i thought you said you weren't going to get yourself band again ?   8-|

EdMa said:
yugin96 said:
EdMa said:

i thought you said you weren't going to get yourself band again ?   8-|
I can't help it. He's a dick.

Decided to treat myself to some new boots....

#NoHaters
Well the color is a bit.... weird. 

EDIT: And btw why isn't that post to the latest purchace thread? :P

A win is a win as far as I'm concerned. I find Bayern boring to watch when all they do is pass, same with Barcelona when they do it. Chelsea aren't great to watch either, but if it works, then what is the issue? 

If you can't outscore them, then stop them scoring and hope you nick one on the counter. Teams need to find away around it, width is one. Lots of crosses into someone like Bony or Mandzukic could easily pay off if you do it enough. In Liverpool's case, Suarez or Sturridge aren't great at that, but still. 
BR should have known what Mourinho was going to do and had several plans to counter his defending. He failed to do it, and Chelsea won. 

Liverpools lack of CL games and other cup games is a big factor in their success the same as it is a reason United are 7th IMO. United lost RVP to a CL match and other players in other cups, same with everyone else in last years top 4, especially Arsenal.

I find possession football boring. Mannone, O'Shea, Mannone, Brown, Mannone, O'Shea, Cattermole, lose the ball, struggle to get it back for hours.

I know it can win games, but it is a bit boring to watch.