Jump to content

Official Football Thread

Recommended Posts

I don't think it matters who you support or why you started supporting them, as long as you keep supporting them throughout. Even if you did jump on the Man United bandwagon because they were winning everything, as long as you keep supporting them even if they get themselves relegated or something, then how is that any less special than supporting your local team?

Supporting someone because they are good, or because you like the way they play, or because you like the colour of their shirts are all just as valid as supporting them because they play in a field near to where you live. Or so I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Platy said:
Are you saying Man City didn't exist until they were taken over?
No, but nowadays their success is purely down stupidly rich owners. 

You look at United and you see the class of 92, before the Glazers. You have a team that has only ever had managers from the British Isles, a team which is built around youth development and attacking football. I mean Welbeck is a modern example of the youth academy, Januzaj may as well be, Wilson, Lingaard, Lawrence and all these youngsters.
That is what football clubs should be about, look at how many young English players United have in their 1st and youth team. Compare it with City and it is a country mile different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is the play-offs from last season all over again, tonights result is very tough to take :(

Saturday is going to be fun... :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I can see why people love supporting their lower league and smaller teams because they are local, because they are more personal and there's more of a fan culture. But that doesn't stop me getting involved when I go to a Wimbledon, Bury or Palace game - and keeping up with their scores and progress. But at the same time I don't like how their fans use that as some kind of moral high ground when it comes to arguments about support etc. 

Fair enough if it's over money and it's a great local club that's gone down the drain. Plus although a lot of big club fans will be gloryhunters, there are a lot that have influence from their families, perhaps where their parents were born, grew up and went to watch them in decades gone by. 

Ironically this is what annoys me about Liverpool and Arsenal fans on other forums and Twitter (but Yugin's alright - I'm sure he has legit reasons); I saw an Arsenal fan have a pop at Fulham fans because he said he thinks most are now Chelsea gloryhunters. They act as if they don't have gloryhunters because they haven't won anything (despite being in the top 2 biggest  clubs in London, and top 3 in the country, easily top 10 in Europe). Then there's Liverpool fans who are even worse. Won about 1 trophy in the last 10 years, say they aren't gloryhunter's because there parents supported them growing up , the funny thing being that would make them gloryhunters because they were winning everything in the 70's and 80's. 

The same could be levelled at every PL club though. 

Swings and Roundabouts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
At my first Toronto FC (MLS) game! Windy as hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't mind the genuine fans of the big teams, its when you get people that have a decent local side, but for some reason choose not to support them? Why not?

Maybe i'm old fashioned in thinking that you support a local team....

Its always interesting to see who sticks around when it all turns pear shaped, only a fraction of the 20,000 we took to the cup final back in 04 did....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't mind the genuine fans of the big teams, its when you get people that have a decent local side, but for some reason choose not to support them? Why not?

Maybe i'm old fashioned in thinking that you support a local team....

Its always interesting to see who sticks around when it all turns pear shaped, only a fraction of the 20,000 we took to the cup final back in 04 did....
well I've always been a spurs supporter all my life my whole family supports them my dad did when he was alive and so does myy brother even back when we were achieving nothing better than mid table mediocrity I've supported them and I still do. We've only started to achiweve bigger things like European spots in recent years since Martin Jol was at the club and I remember us having a coyuple of brushes with relegation as well like when Christian Gross was in charge we nearly went down if it hadn't been for Jurgen Klinsmann coming back and bailing us out with his goal scoring prowess we would have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SynGamer said:
At my first Toronto FC (MLS) game! Windy as hell.
Not a bad first game to go to. Bradley scored a nice goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am so glad we stayed up! A true miracle and unbelievable task. Gus Poyet should be manager of the season.

As for the local team thing, although I live in Chester-le-Street and am closer to Durham than Sunderland, both of the earlier 2 are crap non league teams. I support Sunderland because my family do, it's not like I'm a glory hunter or anything. Neither are they for that matter, my Grandad's friend has seen us win the top flight once in 1936 and all of them have seen us win the FA cup at least once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Britpoint said:
I don't think it matters who you support or why you started supporting them, as long as you keep supporting them throughout. Even if you did jump on the Man United bandwagon because they were winning everything, as long as you keep supporting them even if they get themselves relegated or something, then how is that any less special than supporting your local team?


But Man Utd and co won't be relegated in the next 20+ years, so if you support them you're guaranteed to stay up and almost certain to win a few trophies. 

United think they have had a bad season this year, they don't understand the suffering and heartbreak lower league clubs experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
United's season was hardly one that threatened the very existence of the club unlike many other smaller clubs...

Who know's, maybe if people bothered to support these clubs, relegation wouldn't place so much financial strain on clubs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lukedfrt said:
Britpoint said:
I don't think it matters who you support or why you started supporting them, as long as you keep supporting them throughout. Even if you did jump on the Man United bandwagon because they were winning everything, as long as you keep supporting them even if they get themselves relegated or something, then how is that any less special than supporting your local team?


But Man Utd and co won't be relegated in the next 20+ years, so if you support them you're guaranteed to stay up and almost certain to win a few trophies. 

United think they have had a bad season this year, they don't understand the suffering and heartbreak lower league clubs experience.
I do agree with you, but it is not nice to see your team fall that far in one season. 

I am pretty gutted Norwich are going down, it is always nice to see them doing well. Ideally I'd love them to be 2nd behind Man United but that won't happen ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thats why I'm not so upset about beung trophyless this season, we've been so spoilt the last few years I don't feel like I should be talking about it being our God given right to win things, unlike the majority of Arsenal or Liverpool fans I've come across. Could only laugh when Athletico went 3-1 up. Still been a good season. 8/10 personally. If you had said taking the league down to Matchday 37 and a CL semi plus being two seconds away from beating Bayern I'd have been happy. Plus all our injuries came in the most important week of the seaaon so we just have to deal with what we've been given. Plus won all the big games bar CL second leg. Whats been the highlight of the season personally for each if you? Mine's either Ba's goal v PSG, Willian v Liverpool or sat in the pub smugly staring at my mate who supports Arsenal who said I was deluded that Eto'o would score in the 6-0 win :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Platy said:
SynGamer said:
At my first Toronto FC (MLS) game! Windy as hell.
Not a bad first game to go to. Bradley scored a nice goal.
Dofoe had a great little chip shot too. Fun game, great atmosphere. Definitely want to go back when the weather gets better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EdMa said:
Thats why I'm not so upset about beung trophyless this season, we've been so spoilt the last few years I don't feel like I should be talking about it being our God given right to win things, unlike the majority of Arsenal or Liverpool fans I've come across. Could only laugh when Athletico went 3-1 up. Still been a good season. 8/10 personally. If you had said taking the league down to Matchday 37 and a CL semi plus being two seconds away from beating Bayern I'd have been happy. Plus all our injuries came in the most important week of the seaaon so we just have to deal with what we've been given. Plus won all the big games bar CL second leg. Whats been the highlight of the season personally for each if you? Mine's either Ba's goal v PSG, Willian v Liverpool or sat in the pub smugly staring at my mate who supports Arsenal who said I was deluded that Eto'o would score in the 6-0 win :)
There has not been many highlights for me. Maybe the two Bayern games, more specifically, the Vidic and Evra goals. Or the 1-0 Arsenal win due to RVP's goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EdMa said:
 Whats been the highlight of the season personally for each if you? 
Although the beating of Newcastle twice was good, I think the league cup semi final second leg has to be the best highlight of a game. For an individual moment though, it has to be Borini's goal at Wembley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SynGamer said:
Platy said:
SynGamer said:
At my first Toronto FC (MLS) game! Windy as hell.
Not a bad first game to go to. Bradley scored a nice goal.
Dofoe had a great little chip shot too. Fun game, great atmosphere. Definitely want to go back when the weather gets better
Toronto have a good chance of making the playoffs this year, although going to games in October won't be that fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neil Adams says we had a lucky run of fixtures.

Of course, no team in the premier league plays every other team twice in a season....

And Chelsea, Man City and Man United away are obviously going to be easy wins...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bit late but - Lingard scored for Brighton the other day. Hopefully he turns out as a quality player for United.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't like these rumours about Gus going to West Ham... Hopefully Ellis Short will be sensible and give him what he wants (as well as tie him down to a long term contract). Gus is the best manager we've had for a long time.

Realistically where do you guys think we would have finished if Gus was manager throughout the season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Relegated I'd say. Wouldn't have got points at City, Chelsea and United.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AMS97KRR said:
Relegated I'd say. Wouldn't have got points at City, Chelsea and United.
Really? Wasn't exactly a new manager bounce...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×