Official Football Thread

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas, get right effin in there!

Scored 1 goal in the 2nd half to make it 2-2 on aggregate, then scored another 2 in extra time, brilliant!

BRING ON THE COWDEN

AMS97KRR said:
Bit late but - Lingard scored for Brighton the other day. Hopefully he turns out as a quality player for United.

Looked dreadful when he played for us, lost the ball easily, struggled to score and hardly showed any effort.
Macheda on the other hand is hard to get off the ball, scored a lot, and always gave 100%

Well, so close, yet so far. Two points (plus GD) away from the title. Lost to a team that broke the Financial Fair Play rules, and beat another that was almost as rich. Now we have automatic Champions League qualification, and a team that started with little title challenging experience but have undoubtedly grown and matured greatly. We've got the summer to sort out our defence- and the worse something is, the easier it is to improve on it (see F1 for examples).

7th to 2nd in 1 season, you'd be a fool to rule us our next time round.

yugin96 said:
Well, so close, yet so far. Two points (plus GD) away from the title. Lost to a team that broke the Financial Fair Play rules, and beat another that was almost as rich. Now we have automatic Champions League qualification, and a team that started with little title challenging experience but have undoubtedly grown and matured greatly. We've got the summer to sort out our defence- and the worse something is, the easier it is to improve on it (see F1 for examples).

7th to 2nd in 1 season, you'd be a fool to rule us our next time round.

Yeah , I don't see why nobody expects us to challenge next year. We should improve the most next year. City can't really improve much barring a major , major signing. United will still be rubbish if they don't find a top quality manager. The only one's who I think will improve massively is Chelsea when they get some top quality strikers with Mourinho , they'll be my favourites for next year. Can't wait tosee some CL action for the first time in years though. 

:D

I'm happy with 14th bearing in mind where we started. That'll give us some good money for transfers and we have the summer to sort out the remaining contracts and to get some decent players in. Gus' meeting with Ellis is the one worrying me though...

I'm really curious to see which way the Spanish championship is going to go, tbh I don't mind if it's Athletico or Barcelona, I'm happy with both.

mike96 said:
I'm really curious to see which way the Spanish championship is going to go, tbh I don't mind if it's Athletico or Barcelona, I'm happy with both.
I'd prefer it went to Real, but that can't happen :(

Not bothered who wins it out the 2, but i'd say Athletico are good enough to get a result at the Camp Nou

Baines wouldn't play as well as Cole in the big games, which considering Italy and Uruguay are iuo first two games,I think its a mistake not taking him, if only for the experience that he brings which he can pass onto the younger players. Didnt play for almost three months this season then was solid as a rock against two of Europe's best attacking teams in three games in a week.

EdMa said:
Baines wouldn't play as well as Cole in the big games, which considering Italy and Uruguay are iuo first two games,I think its a mistake not taking him, if only for the experience that he brings which he can pass onto the younger players. Didnt play for almost three months this season then was solid as a rock against two of Europe's best attacking teams in three games in a week.
maybe not but I don't hold much hope for us getting far anyway given the group we've got as it is a kind of group of Death really  we may be ok against Costa Rica but against Uruguay and Italy we were always going to struggle  I think it's more about giving the Next gen the experience of the occasion rather than going out to win as I don't think that'll happen. We will try to win of course but I don't expect to much from this tournament

You think you've got a tough group? Try Spain, Netherlands and Chile.
tbf though I didn't think either of our countries would win anyway I think it's going to be Spain or Brazil that'll end up winning with maybe Germany/Netherlands an outside chance

To be fair, I was more surprised that England qualified that New Zealand didn't. Yes, going into the last 2 games I didn't think we had a chance. Up until that point we'd only beaten San Marino and Andorra. Everything else was a Roy Hodgson standard 0-0 or 1-1 draw, which wouldn't have got us through...