Official Football Thread

To be fair, I was more surprised that England qualified that New Zealand didn't. Yes, going into the last 2 games I didn't think we had a chance. Up until that point we'd only beaten San Marino and Andorra. Everything else was a Roy Hodgson standard 0-0 or 1-1 draw, which wouldn't have got us through...
well I wasn't surprised we qualified as it wasn't a hard qualifying group granted I think a win or 2 more should have been got but I always felt it to be a relatively easy group we are an OK side but not up to the standard that's required to win the tournament though. If we played like we did in the 2002 tournament then I'd say we'd have a chance but I can't see it happeningmaybe when the next one rolls around we'll be in a better position but I just don't see it happening in 2014. the only Englishman likely to take home a world title this year is the one behind the wheel of the Mercedes in F1.

Very surprised Tottenham sacked Sherwood...

Anyway, back to the world cup. Jozy Altidore is in the America squad so they're bound to win with the amount of goals he scores.

fIsince08 said:
Very surprised Tottenham sacked Sherwood...

Anyway, back to the world cup. Jozy Altidore is in the America squad so they're bound to win with the amount of goals he scores.
I'm not all in all a little disappointing season for us he was always going to be a stop gap measure I think to see us out till the end of the season. I think the chairman wants a more experienced man in and tbf Sherwood isn't it. He started off well enough but then things went down hill again pretty quick had he managed to keep the early momentum going and been moer of a threat to the bigger teams and got closer to the top 4 then he may have been given moer time but he didn't. I think he has potentisal as a manager but he needs to build himself up at a smaller club first like Martinez did with Wigan before he get's a shot at a bigger job like Spurs.

You think you've got a tough group? Try Spain, Netherlands and Chile.
tbf though I didn't think either of our countries would win anyway I think it's going to be Spain or Brazil that'll end up winning with maybe Germany/Netherlands an outside chance
When I used a predictor ( I think it was the Telegraph's ) I predicted a Germany v Brazil and an 
Argentina v Spain semi finals. With Germany and Argentina in the final , Argentina winning the whole thing.

You think you've got a tough group? Try Spain, Netherlands and Chile.
tbf though I didn't think either of our countries would win anyway I think it's going to be Spain or Brazil that'll end up winning with maybe Germany/Netherlands an outside chance
When I used a predictor ( I think it was the Telegraph's ) I predicted a Germany v Brazil and an 
Argentina v Spain semi finals. With Germany and Argentina in the final , Argentina winning the whole thing.
whilst Argentina are great at attacking I just get the feeling they're a little too fragile defensively( this is just my opinion) but I could see them making the quarters or semi's with luck on their side not to suer about winning it though

Should we open up a new thread just for the WC ?
you could if you want too
I'll make a proper one later on then. I'm too busy right now. As for Argentina , I just feel their the best South American side right now and the likes f Germany and the Netherlands won't be able t fully adapt to the weather.

Argentina Vs Brazil final. Heard it here first.

if that's actually possible

Very surprised Giaccherini isn't in the world cup squad. Hope it doesn't knock his confidence much.

I think the climate will be too much for Europeans to handle. That's the only reason I chose Argentina. 

Its Brazil's to lose
I agree it's Spain or Brazil to win for me
I think most managers know how to deal with the Spanish tiki taka stuff. Can't see them winning
maybe but it's one thing knowing it but it's a completely different thing doing it though and the style they play may well give them an advantage as the other teams try to play catch up

Its Brazil's to lose
I think most managers know how to deal with the Spanish tiki taka stuff. Can't see them winning
maybe but it's one thing knowing it but it's a completely different thing doing it though and the style they play may well give them an advantage as the other teams try to play catch up
I don't think so tbh. You saw what Real Madrid did to Munich with their tiki taki style. I think they've already caught up. 

AMS97KRR said:
I think the climate will be too much for Europeans to handle. That's the only reason I chose Argentina. 

depends on the style of play though teams that are quite good defensively like Italy  for example will probably cope better in those kinds of conditions than a team that runs a lot like England that's why I think we struggle more in these competitions. Our style of play generally doesn't work well in hot weather. Spain again in recent years do play keepball well which again I think will help them out there but we will see in due course

Its Brazil's to lose
No, not really. All your doing is telling the players to stand off the opponents and keep the space between the defence and midfield tight and sit deep. By doing that there is no space behind the midfield, thus they have no options going forward which results in them passing it sideways and having to force it forward which opens up the chance for mistakes and the other team to get the ball.

Just requires a bit of disipline

Its Brazil's to lose
No, not really. All your doing is telling the players to stand off the opponents and keep the space between the defence and midfield tight and sit deep. By doing that there is no space behind the midfield, thus they have no options going forward which results in them passing it sideways and having to force it forward which opens up the chance for mistakes and the other team to get the ball.

Just requires a bit of disipline

not all teams play with that level of discipline though

Its Brazil's to lose

Just requires a bit of discipline

not all teams play with that level of discipline though

Well if a manager doesn't feel his players are disciplined then he won't play that way, simple.

Quite interesting looking at the Spain Goalkeeper selection. I expected Diego Lopez to be going to Brazil as he's had an awesome season at Real, but they've gone with Casillas, Reina and De Gea.

Reina is a joke. Swear he goes to every tournament just to have a laugh.

Going off the World Cup for a moment. Seeing as Shakhtar Donetsk won the Ukrainian Premier League and have an automatic spot in the Champions League, what will happen if the current cluster**** in the region continues through the start of next season?