Official Football Thread

"Except maybe" makes you sound a little dodgy tbh :P

He was a divisive character, but no death should be celebrated. Except maybe Hitler.
What about the Supreme Leader Kims?

Absolutely agree with 123, yeah he was to blame for all the debt and even being a reason behind Ronaldo's transfer plus a handful of other crap but to celebrate his death is beyond words, shameful. And btw, a large majority of the fans are not like them just so you know.

EdMa said:
"Except maybe" makes you sound a little dodgy tbh :P

maybe but his actions did start ww2 he deserved to die for that crime alone in my book

Ron666 said:
Absolutely agree with 123, yeah he was to blame for all the debt and even being a reason behind Ronaldo's transfer plus a handful of other crap but to celebrate his death is beyond words, shameful. And btw, a large majority of the fans are not like them just so you know.
same here yes he made some mistakes but we all do . sometimes in sport as in life you make decisions that later on turn out to be the wrong ones but zll you can do is try to make the best of it  I'm not a Man u supporter but it's always a sad day when someone dies in my book having experienced death in my family.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand back to football.....

"We were all disappointed to lose Michael period never mind to a competitor, but the fact is there was no way we would be able to compete with the financial package they put on the table for him.

What we did do is offer him a more than competitive wage for this division, a job within the community department that would most likely go beyond his playing career and a coaching school with his name on it. I was also hoping that given his trouble with the SFA this year and the support we gave him during that time with continued financial and moral support that it would tip the balance in our favor.

He obviously believes that the short term benefits are worth the move and I can only thank him for the entertainment and goals that he provided during his time here. For those of you decrying the fact that we didn’t receive a transfer fee, under the current system we are not entitled to one. We all wish him luck, just not against us.

It baffles me how a team that a year ago were on the brink of extinction with no assets and debts far outweighing any reasonable chance of getting out of can offer such a rewarding package to a single player and while some may say we should have matched it pound for pound, there was no way given our goal of playing within the financial fair play rules that we would have been able to match it and still put together a supporting cast behind him. With the catalog of teams that have gone into administration or out of the game in the last eight years, it disappoints me that there seems to be no real consequences for financial misbehavior. If I had no moral compass, I would suggest that Ayr United should screw the creditors, tax payers and everyone else and end up debt free with a shiny bank balance. It may be viewed as a fault by some, but I am unwilling to play the game that way."

That is from Ayr United's Chairmen after we signed Michael Moffat. You mad bro?

Is Billy Jones any good? Looks like he'll be number one right back for us next season.

How big do you guys think a squad should be by the way? I reckon:

Three goalkeepers (one of which is a youth keeper)
3 signed fullbacks plus one loan, 3 centre halves plus one loan
2 defensive midfielders
5 central/attacking midfielders (one on loan)
3 wingers (plus a youth)
5 strikers (one on loan)

That makes 24 players.

It depends on the formation(s) you are using really. If I knew I was only ever going to play a 4-2-3-1 I'd go:

(If you were sticking to 24 mine is. Ideally another Fullback, Centre back and striker would be nice, so 27 would be great)

3 Keepers
3 Fullbacks 
4 Centre backs
4 Defensive Midfielders 
5 CAMs
2 Wingers
3 Strikers

The 4xCDM's could always change to 5 centre backs or 3 wingers, I would just want enough cover. A utility player in there is always nice, someone like Phil Jones who can play like 3 or 4 positions. Since I''d use a lone striker, I'd risk 3 so that I could have more creative midfielders (I'd need 1 or 3 depending on the 4-2-3-1 I'd play, Wider with wingers or tighter with CAMs), if worse comes to worse and all 3 get injured, shove a winger up front and see what they can do. 

AMS97KRR said:
It depends on the formation(s) you are using really. If I knew I was only ever going to play a 4-2-3-1 I'd go:

(If you were sticking to 24 mine is. Ideally another Fullback, Centre back and striker would be nice, so 27 would be great)

3 Keepers
3 Fullbacks 
4 Centre backs
4 Defensive Midfielders 
5 CAMs
2 Wingers
3 Strikers

The 4xCDM's could always change to 5 centre backs or 3 wingers, I would just want enough cover. A utility player in there is always nice, someone like Phil Jones who can play like 3 or 4 positions. Since I''d use a lone striker, I'd risk 3 so that I could have more creative midfielders (I'd need 1 or 3 depending on the 4-2-3-1 I'd play, Wider with wingers or tighter with CAMs), if worse comes to worse and all 3 get injured, shove a winger up front and see what they can do. 

Yeah I agree I generaly play 4-4-2 on Fifa and FM games and generally I like to have a primary and a backup for every position so normally I'd have

2/3 goalkeepers

2 right backs and 2 left backs

4 central defenders

2 right midfield and 2 left midfield

4 central midfielders

4 strikers

that way you're covered if you wish to change formation or go with something moer flexible also this way you're covered if your team suffers a few injuries. :)

9 central mids playing a 4-2-3-1?

I'd go with
3 keepers
3 fullbacks (preferably one that can play either side)
4 centre halves (also one that can play full back if required)
1 out-and-out defensive mid
4 central mids (can play defensive mid)
2 attacking mids
4 wingers (plus if you can get ones that play both sides)
3 strikers

Anyone else unimpressed by David Villa's move to New York City 'Soccer' FC?

Shame, he was one of my favorite players. I remember watching him at Euro 2008, got top scorer, really good back then.

Yes, but he just won the league and came runners-up in the Champions League with his previous club... surely that's a reason to continue playing for them? And he was one of their key players too.

Just because you've won something doesn't mean you have to stay. Sure it's an incentive, but at the end of the day, he did what he thought was best for his career whether that's an overpaid benchwarmer or an MLS Golden Boot winner.

6 months training with Man City then he gets to be a key player in a brand new franchise in an ever growing league in one of the biggest cities in the world... plus the money. I don't think he owed Atletico anything just because they won him medals, he won medals at Barca and he left them.

Anyway, it gives me more reasons to dislike NYCFC.

Platy said:
6 months training with Man City then he gets to be a key player in a brand new franchise in an ever growing league in one of the biggest cities in the world... plus the money. I don't think he owed Atletico anything just because they won him medals, he won medals at Barca and he left them.

Not like Villa ? Or just don't like NYC FC taking him out of Europe ? Looking like Lampard could follow him there too.

Platy said:

Not like Villa ? Or just don't like NYC FC taking him out of Europe ? Looking like Lampard could follow him there too.
I don't really care for Villa, and I certainly don't care that NYCFC took a player out of Europe. I just don't like NYCFC and how they were brought into the MLS.

Where do you all think Fabregas will end up? The Independent says that Liverpool are leading the race for his signature- absolute bollocks if you ask me. He's a fantastic player no doubt, but 30 million for him is too much for a club like us.

United seems plausible.

Reckon he'll end up at Chelsea. They'll have a real incentive to actively pursue him now that Lampard's gone.

I'd rather have Pogba, but I wouldn't be opposed to Fabregas. Great player although it would be interesting to see how different he is now from when he was at Arsenal. 

Rumours going round than Juventus want 20 million euros and Ramires for Pogba. If that's true I would absolutlely go crazy if that happened. Ramires is such a liabilty.