Official Football Thread

Haha yeah. 

I know this doesn't include the Republic of Ireland, but it'd be cool if all the home nations (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) made one team. Players like Best, Giggs, Law, Bale and now Ramsey are wasted and never appear at big tournaments despite being top players.

It'd be mainly England, but Bale and Ramsey would certainly be in there.

Nice goal by Lambert there. England have lacked a striker to carry them at WC's recently, maybe with Sturridge, Rooney and Lambert we can find one.

AMS97KRR said:
Haha yeah. 

I know this doesn't include the Republic of Ireland, but it'd be cool if all the home nations (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) made one team. Players like Best, Giggs, Law, Bale and now Ramsey are wasted and never appear at big tournaments despite being top players.

I'm not sure it would make much of a difference if I'm honest. England already have the individual players imo , but it just never seems to come together for them.

The last 2 goals were brilliant btw.

AMS97KRR said:
Haha yeah. 

yeah I agree think we'd gave won many ,more world cups if we had banded together :p

I'm feeling really good about the WC. Barkley, Lallana, Sterling, Ox and Sturridge can all beat players well and all look really good. 

I just done the EA competition prediction game to win real prizes, the way I predicted it, England had to play:

Greece (Ro16)
Netherlands (QF)
Portugal (SF)
Germany (F)

Honestly, looking at previous tournaments, Italy beat Germany in Euro 2012 and I reckon we can beat Italy this time around with a better, more organised team that Roy has had time to work with. If we only play European teams, IMO it is anyone's game, whoever can cope with the heat might prevail. This relies heavily on Germany beating Brazil and Portugal beating Argentina, which I think they both can as they are stronger all round IMO. 
I think England have better individuals than both Portugal and Netherlands in most positions. It is just that really world class player we've sorely lacked at the WC. The Dutch have Robben and RVP, Portugal have Ronaldo and Germany have Neuer, Gotze and Reus. Not to mention the fact that the Dutch are missing a key man in Strootman and the Germans are missing Gundogan. 

If we for once performed as a team, with a bit of luck I don't think it is impossible, depending on who we have to play. If we avoid South Americans and have the right set up, why not? I don't see the point in England aiming for the Quarters or Semi's, you have to aim to win.

But we need a striker to carry us sometimes, I don't care who, we need someone hitting in 4-6 goals on their own and then others can chip in.

This England team looks like it could win the WC...................................................................................................................

:)) :)) :))

@JordieDAFC this is a friendly to be fair, and an experimental team. Still better than Scotland ;)

strangely enough I'm not in my opinion the only way England will get past the group stage is to not lose a gsame if England lose even 1 of their group games they're gone me and my brother agree that if England lose even once they're out they can afford 2 draws maybe but they can't afford any losses.

I think we can win all 3 to be honest. Uruguay have an awesome attack and a good centre back in Godin, but other than that, not much. 
Italy are good, no doubt they will be tough, could go either way though.

As I said though, England have lacked that Ronaldo (Brazil), that Baggio, Pele, Eusebio or anyone like that at major tournaments to carry us somewhat. At Euro 2012, Welbeck missed 2 or 3 chances that I think Sturridge or a Manchester United Rooney would have scored. Our midfield is strong, Barkley, Lallana, Wilshere, Gerrard, Sterling, Ox - how many teams would kill for a midfield talent pool like that? 

To be honest If I had to choose a winner out right, I'd say Brazil because I don't think we'll get lucky enough to avoid South American teams or Spain until the final. 
But I do think that Euro 2016 and Russia 2018 we have a real chance. Our young talent will be in their peak or reaching it by 2018 and other young Englishmen that are not present in Brazil will break through. 
Steven Hawking already says, if it is cold, we stand a better chance, well France and Russia will be perfect.

Oh and Italy just drew to Luxembourg. HA!

AMS97KRR said:
@JordieDAFC this is a friendly to be fair, and an experimental team. Still better than Scotland ;)
I love how that's the only comebacks you guys have to us :))

A whole 1 goal better than us :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) 

AMS97KRR said:

A whole 1 goal better than us :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) 
Sorry, how many World Cups do Scotland have? ;)

AMS97KRR said:
AMS97KRR said:

Sorry, how many World Cups do Scotland have? ;)
Ah, that'll be the trophy you won 48 years ago.........

And still ramble on about cause you have won nothing else =))  =))  =))  =)) 

At least we've won something.

Scotland won't even win an independence vote.

To be fair though, the reason England haven't won more is because we don't work as a team. If we did, those people like Rooney, Sturridge, Lallana and Gerrard all linking up would be deadly.

Anything can happen. Look at Brazil 1950, the Brazilians were so humiliated by their loss to Uruguay they call it their Hiroshima. Greece at Euro 2004 too. 

AMS97KRR said:
Apply some cold water to that burn @JordieDAFC
The ice cubes have been placed in the bath along with some cold water........ :))

Really fancy Belgium to get as far as the Semi's. Been great in their pre-tournament friendlies-okay so they weren't the toughest opponents but Hazard and De Bruyne will be some of the best players of the tournament. Might put a cheeky bet on Lukaku as top scorer. 

This will be Roy's only world cup.

Seriously, he'll be 70 at the next one for crying out loud.

Villa is playing in .... AUSTRALIA ?  :-O I know it's owned by Man City as well but a player of his quality could walk the ball into the net over there.

Villa is playing in .... AUSTRALIA ?  :-O I know it's owned by Man City as well but a player of his quality could walk the ball into the net over there.

[/quote]

The
soccer over in the USA isn't much better.