Official Football Thread

yugin96 said:
Villa is playing in .... AUSTRALIA ?  :-O I know it's owned by Man City as well but a player of his quality could walk the ball into the net over there.
The
soccer over in the USA isn't much better.
I suppose , but he's going there for the money. He could at least have spent 6 months in a decent team before going. Anyway , it was more of a dig at @onetwothree.  :P

Changed the name to Melbourne City now too haven't they? I'll need to dig out my Melbourne Heart top....

MLS is probably around mid-championship level. Lower than what he's used to, I suppose, but I think some teams could give some of the La Liga a challenge.

Does anyone know who this commentator is? It sounds like Clive Tyldsley, but he's called John. 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27775969

John Motson
yep that's him kind of to me a commentator in the same league as Murray Walker was to F1 a legend he's been commentating on football as long as I can remember anyway certainly in all the years I've watched it.

actually I was watching footbsall long before Martin Tyler was even commentating tbf he only started commentating on it when Sky bought it all up and before that it was John Motson who did all that work for the BBC and tbh I preferred Motson's commentary still do tbh. Ithink although Skuy may have better analysts when it comes to commentary BBC and ITV have got it nailed at least on the football side. With F1 Sky have got the best team but I can't say that about football. This is just my opinion though

ITV's commentary is awful. Motson is an annoying old man who has no clue what is going on half the time, so yeah the Murray Walker comparison is pretty apt.

BBC do have some good commentators though, and all their analysts are better than anything ITV have (except Lee Dixon). Having to suffer through Andy Townsend proving he has no idea about football every night is going to make this World Cup harder to watch. I might stream some US coverage, even that is better than what ITV produces.

The only reason I'm watching ITV's football coverage is because a) England are on it and b) Poyet is on it (hopefully without getting sacked).

I like Guy Mowbray on the BBC team.

Platy said:
ITV's commentary is awful. Motson is an annoying old man who has no clue what is going on half the time, so yeah the Murray Walker comparison is pretty apt.

BBC do have some good commentators though, and all their analysts are better than anything ITV have (except Lee Dixon). Having to suffer through Andy Townsend proving he has no idea about football every night is going to make this World Cup harder to watch. I might stream some US coverage, even that is better than what ITV produces.
well I grew up listening to Motty just like I did with Murray Walker so goyt used to their styles of commentary same with Ted Lowe on Snooker when he used to whisper

Platy said:

Guess that's what happens when you play for Aston Villa :p

Platy said:

Sent to hell is what you get when you play for Villa.

Mind you, Aston is worse than hell.

Lukedfrt said:
Platy said:

Sent to hell is what you get when you play for Villa.

Mind you, Aston is worse than hell.
Had a feeling you might say that :p

As long as Mark Lawrenson and his innane, monotonous and sarcastic commentary is nowhere to be seen, I'll be happy.

The funny thing is Torres was awful the last year at Liverpool, Sturridge was really good for the most part, but got injured and struggled to get back in the team, Lukaku's like 20 and showed he's clearly not ready for high pressure European games with that p*** poor penalty v Bayern. People say Diego Costa's only had one good season but he got 20 goals in 2012/2013 behind Falcao and 10 in 16 for Rayo the year before, second top La Liga scorer and 8 CL goals, the highest in the competition for a debutant. But yeah, we ruin strikers. If you're gonna post a joke from Twitter, at least choose a funny one man.

Wow ,someone's bitter. It's not an attack on Chelsea or anything but apparently someone has no sense of humor. 

I know it's pre season, but who are your predictions for relegation this season? I reckon Hull will go down as the Europa League will prove too much for them, Aston Villa as they're broke and West Brom because their manager doesn't sound too promising.