Official Football Thread

Jiggy said:

The absolute best. England would've won the World Cup under his leadership.

Not too sure about that. It's not so much the manager but the players at the moment we're just not good enough to win Hope fully now those guys have experienced tournament hopefully they'll do better at the next one. TBH it was a bad draw and the fact we just don't have the players that really led to what happened with us really.

Tbh, any team that has as few fans as Fulham that they have to have a neutral end doesnt really deserve to be in the Premier League.

Jiggy said:

Not too sure about that. It's not so much the manager but the players at the moment we're just not good enough to win Hope fully now those guys have experienced tournament hopefully they'll do better at the next one. TBH it was a bad draw and the fact we just don't have the players that really led to what happened with us really.

Okay, but you see, I was being sarcastic about Redknapp.

Jiggy said:

Jiggy said:

Okay, but you see, I was being sarcastic about Redknapp.

I didn't know that it can be hard to tell on the internet

I thought the suggestion of England winning the World Cup under Redknapp would be banter enough to give it away.

So, Man United in a lot of trouble now. 11 injuries right now, we badly need a CM and a CB before the window closes and Di Maria...

On a good note, Jones was good today, Mata was ok too

EdMa said:

Tbh, any team that has as few fans as Fulham that they have to have a neutral end doesnt really deserve to be in the Premier League.

I hate it when people say things like that. The size of the fan base doesn't mean jack shite. We only averaged a crowd of  around 6000 when we got into the Championship as our town is small. How good a football teams is doesn't depend on the amount of fans, it's about how well the club is run and how good the players/staff are...

Hughesy said:
EdMa said:

I hate it when people say things like that. The size of the fan base doesn't mean jack shite. We only averaged a crowd of  around 6000 when we got into the Championship as our town is small. How good a football teams is doesn't depend on the amount of fans, it's about how well the club is run and how good the players/staff are...

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the staff, but it reflects badly when a club can't even attract enough fans they have to have a neutral area, which is full of away fans anyway. Their based in pretty nice part of London too. 

Hughesy said:
EdMa said:

Actually I'd argue fans do equate to success. If your local club suddenly had 100 million fans and just 1 million of those bought shirts at £40, let alone other things they'd buy, you'd have £40 Million from just 1% of your fan base, let alone ticket sales. And I guarantee more than 1% would buy the shirt, if 10% did you have 400 million. 

So fans = success eventually IMO.

Sure, the owner could spend it badly, but eventually with that kind of money, you'd be in European Football within 6 years.

Except the clubs don't get all the money from shirt sales.

I'm top of the FF league, just going to cruise through the rest of the season to victory.

I can smell the panic in the Di Maria deal. There is no way he's worth that much. 

Depends what way you look at it. If he is the difference between 4th and 5th (And a class player like him could well be) then he is worth it. We haven't got long left and he is a world class player.

No doubt that it is very expensive, but £63 Million odd is buying you one of the best Wingers in the game. Also, United badly, badly need pace up front, just as much as we need a solid CB and a solid CM, he'll give us that so IMO Ed just needs to pay up. Now all we need is a CM and a CB. For now, until January, where we need to get another CM and maybe a CB or RB. Because if we did get Vidal, or another CM now, we'd have 3 CM's who are actually good/ok. Carrick being ok, and Vidal + Herrera being good. The rest of our CM's are worthless, I'd be surprised if any of them go to clubs in the BPL.

Who knew watching the U20's Womens' World Cup could be brilliantly hilarious. Five minutes to go in the final, Nigeria clean through on goal. Nigeria player one struggles to control an unfortunate bounce but eventually gets a weak header away from the keeper and towards the goal. Nigeria player two is in an offside position when the ball is played. Nigeria player two decides she wants the glory, and as the ball is about to trickle across the line, Nigeria player two decides to boot it into the goal. Nigeria player one is off celebrating what she thinks is the winning goal. Ref blows her whistle.

Offside. Goal disallowed.

AMS97KRR said:
Hughesy said:
EdMa said:

Actually I'd argue fans do equate to success. If your local club suddenly had 100 million fans and just 1 million of those bought shirts at £40, let alone other things they'd buy, you'd have £40 Million from just 1% of your fan base, let alone ticket sales. And I guarantee more than 1% would buy the shirt, if 10% did you have 400 million. 

So fans = success eventually IMO.

Sure, the owner could spend it badly, but eventually with that kind of money, you'd be in European Football within 6 years.

Rubbish... Yeovil have never had money yet we still got to the  Championship. Having more fans or money doesn't give you the right to be in the top league. Even when we were in the championship we had a smaller budget than clubs 2 or 3 divisions below. For example Bristol Rovers got relegated out of the football league and had a bigger budget than us (and still do) even though they're a non league side now. Sheffield United have a big fan base yet they can't get out of L1, Mk dons have a lot of money and a big stadium yet they can't get out of L1 etc etc...

Aye, St mirren, Hamilton, Ross county and Patrick thistle have less fans than us. Kick them out!!!!

Do that and Scottish football will be fixed! 

Platy said:

Except the clubs don't get all the money from shirt sales.

I'm top of the FF league, just going to cruise through the rest of the season to victory.

I would of been top if I hadn't missed the first gameweek

Wait, Bristol Rovers is out of the football league? Damn. I actually sort of liked them due to Lambert.

Mannone's slide tackle yesterday was class, Pantilimon will be handing in a transfer request soon.

Never ever rated Di Maria that highly, but seeing as United are paying £59.7m I obviously don't know my football......................................................

I didnt rate him until about last year. He's a great player but worth no where near £70 million, 40 at most and hes made to look a lot better because of Ronaldo. I like him as a player but want United and their flops to fail big time. Reckon it'll be like Ozil, he'll give them a lift for a few months qnd then it'll all go a bit iffy when he gets fed up of having to run onto ballooned and skewed passes from the midfield maestro's of Tom Cleverly, Fellaini and Fletcher. 

They needed a CB and CM far more obvioisly tbh. The next week could be mental though. Arsenal need a striker, United 2/3 players, Barca more defenders and players, PSG, Monaco and if there is a lord, AC Milan will spunk the Balotelli money on Torres.

The defence might just scrape through till January. Jones is just a bombscare, hopefully Evans and rojo can keep him in shape. Think Valencia and Shaw could be half decent wing backs

Someone like Blind would be good for them as he can play CDM, CB and LWB. I honestoy have no idea how Johnny Evans is still at United. He's knicking a living tbh.

Think Barca have enough attackers and midfielders and possibly enough defenders since we have: pique, Mathieu, Vermaelen, Bartra and Mascherano