Official Football Thread

What do you think, Cattermole for England if he behaves himself?
http://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2014/8/26/6068797/opinion-cattermole-form-warrants-international-recognition

Wasn't he about to be booted out of the club not too long ago?

Read the article and even though I disagree with the whole southern media keeping the northerners down-narrative, I must admit my view on Cattermole can be outdated. This is just the second week of football though. To build a squad for the Euros, hes going have to play well for at least one full season.

Jiggy said:

Wasn't he about to be booted out of the club not too long ago?

Read the article and even though I disagree with the whole southern media keeping the northerners down-narrative, I must admit my view on Cattermole can be outdated. This is just the second week of football though. To build a squad for the Euros, hes going have to play well for at least one full season.

Yes but Poyet vetoed the move.

Also, Kevin Phillips was a supreme footballer for Sunderland but only got EIGHT caps!

I think Cattermole is about the same level as Joey Barton in terms of talent. I don't think he's good enough to make the squad unless there's a few injuries to the midfield.

I'm not trying to say he's a starter - he probably isn't good enough for that - but for the squad? I think so if he keeps this up. He was better than most of the Man U players that are in the England squad, but Hodgson will do the typical England manager thing and pick the overpriced egos over talent and dedication.

EdMa said:

Someone like Blind would be good for them as he can play CDM, CB and LWB. I honestoy have no idea how Johnny Evans is still at United. He's knicking a living tbh.

I've no idea what is happening with Blind, They keep saying that he's leaving Ajax but you don't hear too much about it here. Saw in the gossip column on the BBC site that Ajax want £18m so I guess we'll see what happens.

Decent bit of money for Ajax though ;)

John Egan, a former Sunderland youth player, has just scored an own goal against Newcastle.

Meaning a Sunderland youngster has scored more goals this season than Newcastle.

It's OK United fans, we were two down until the last 10 minutes and won 4-2.
After 7 minutes of added time in the second half :p 

You see what I mean? :p 

People are really getting carried away here. Sure, it is Man United, but do you even know who half of our team is? Most of them are not much better than league 1 anyway due to being very young. Vermijl - Who the hell is that?

Simple fact is, too many kids on the pitch at once = disaster.

Also, endless crossing is a joke, ******* shoot man, stop crossing it to Welbeck and Hernandez!

I thought this would've gotten old by now.

It hasn't. Not by a long shot.

AMS97KRR said:

People are really getting carried away here. Sure, it is Man United, but do you even know who half of our team is? Most of them are not much better than league 1 anyway due to being very young. Vermijl - Who the hell is that?

Apart from Vermijl and Janko, the rest of the team is reasonably well known. About 8 of them featured at some point during United's last league winning season...

AMS97KRR said:

Simple fact is, too many kids on the pitch at once = disaster.

Again, There were at most 3 "kids" in the starting 11, 2 of them have played at least 10 games in the first team for another club. The exception being Janko......

AMS97KRR said:

Also, endless crossing is a joke, ******* shoot man, stop crossing it to Welbeck and Hernandez!

Crossing was the only way they were getting the ball into the box as they were unable to get it in that area any other way and its pointless just shooting cause you can't work the ball into the box.

It was a crap squad LVG put out, and it deserved to get the thumping they were given...

1. The Kids on the pitch:

Janko, Vermijl, James, Keane, Powell - 5 out of the starting 11 and 3 of those were defenders.  Pereira and Wilson (who were both ok) came on later too. Our bench had no big names except Januzaj. I would have thought he'd put RvP, Mata, Jones etc. on the bench just in case...

And come on, just because a player features in a title winning year that doesn't make them good. Anderson, Hernandez, Welbeck and Evans are just not good enough. We should sell Kagawa/use him as bait to fund a defender now. In short, that team was kids and rejects playing an unfamiliar formation (except De Gea, who is in no way at fault for this). Januzaj is a kid too, not much experience, but he was visibly not up to his best fitness wise due to playing at the weekend (only Monday to rest).

We should have kept Vidic, we could really use him right now...

2. Crossing was never going to work, surely we learnt that after putting 81 in against Fulham and stil losing? Powell nearly scored twice from shots outside the box, why could we do more of that. At 2 nil down with not long left, crossing to midgits wont work. If we had a Lambert or Carroll on the pitch, launch them in, but we didn't have either of them. Far too many safe passes, not enough people trying to get past a man. 

The passes were not quick enough too often.