Official Football Thread

Platy said:
Tottenham don't have a clue. So bad to watch.
yeah we were bad today we deserved to lose that one tbh. I think wewill get better but like with any club that has a new manager you've got to give them a little time to sort things out hopefully we'll bring in 1 or 2 new faces before the window shuts tomorrow night.

Platy said:
yeah we were bad today we deserved to lose that one tbh. I think wewill get better but like with any club that has a new manager you've got to give them a little time to sort things out hopefully we'll bring in 1 or 2 new faces before the window shuts tomorrow night.
OH MY GOD!!! We need 3 players, that's just made me panic!

fIsince08 said:
Platy said:
Yeah we need a striker maybe another defender but otherwise I think we're OK we just had a bad day today game wise. There was suggestions we might sign Welbeck or Hernandez from Man U don't know how true that is though but we do need a new striker or at least someone capable of scoring regularly at least anyway. Ideally a pacey striker

fIsince08 said:
Platy said:
Yeah we need a striker maybe another defender but otherwise I think we're OK we just had a bad day today game wise. There was suggestions we might sign Welbeck or Hernandez from Man U don't know how true that is though but we do need a new striker or at least someone capable of scoring regularly at least anyway. Ideally a pacey striker
You do realise I'm a Sunderland fan, right?

fIsince08 said:
fIsince08 said:
Platy said:
Yes I was just saying I think we need a couple of new players as well before the deadline

fIsince08 said:
fIsince08 said:
Platy said:
Yes I was just saying I think we need a couple of new players as well before the deadline
Oh Ok sorry, it looked like you thought I was a Spurs fan :p 

fIsince08 said:
Platy said:
I would like to offer my sincere condolences 

AMS97KRR said:
fIsince08 said:
Platy said:
Hernandez is off to Real Madrid, Welbeck was pretty good for us.

Welbeck can't play at the top level, I point to the Bayern game at OT last year as evidence when he tried to chip one of the best keepers ever. We might have won if he'd scored that, they are the chances that have to go in. 
Chances like that in games like that have to go in, he isn't top level and he has done it time and time again. If he wasn't a striker, his work rate and pace could be used elsewhere but he would be unhappy. I think he'd make a better wing back than Young right now tbh while Shaw is out, he has strength, pace and the workrate for it. But he can't finish well enough.

Hernandez looks like his confidence is ruined, shame, because I really liked him as a player, great poacher. But he is a poor mans Solskjaer and he doesn't like being benched. 

I've just watched the highlights of the QPR match, Mannone is getting better and better. Pantilimon has gone from Man City's bench to ours.

I suppose it is colder up here, so the bench needs warming more.

fIsince08 said:
fIsince08 said:
fIsince08 said:
Platy said:
Oh Ok sorry, it looked like you thought I was a Spurs fan :p 
I knew you were a Sunderlsand fan as it says so in your sig

I've just read a tweet from a Sunderland fan calling Van Gaal a glorified Di Canio.
He may have a point.

Glorified in that van Gaal has won a load of things at different clubs in different countries and Di Canio hasn't?

Platy said:
Glorified in that van Gaal has won a load of things at different clubs in different countries and Di Canio hasn't?
More that it's "Do it my way or lump it" and they're both dictators.

Van Gaal has reasons to be that way though, 20 years of success backs up his way. Di Canio doesn't. There's absolutely no similarities between the two.

Oh ya, Falcao is coming to united! That's come out the blue, was meant to be City, Arsenal and Real Madrid that wanted him.

But where does he fit in? Heard rvp may need an op, also could maybe drop Rooney behind Falcao and RVP to where Mata is. 

Hopefully there's a centre half or 2 on the way :/

You'd have to hope there's some centre midfielders too unless Fletcher, Cleverly, Fellaini and Carrick are the long term plan.

Did I miss something? I thought Falcao was a Striker? Wtf are we playing at, we need a CB/RB, unless we're sticking Rooney there?

well at least it clears the way for us to move in and take Welbeck of Man U's hands I think the attraction of plenty of first team football and at least continuing to be involved in Europe will encourage him I hope to sign for us even if it is Europa League rather than Champions League.

Apparently we've got Falcao on loan for 1 year then the option to buy next year...

This is all well and good, but we need a top CDM or CB right now...Blind is a decent CDM or CB so it is up to the board really. I'd rather have Hummels then Falcao...

Platy said:
You'd have to hope there's some centre midfielders too unless Fletcher, Cleverly, Fellaini and Carrick are the long term plan.

Don't expect a midfielder to come in this time. January or next season is when they'll look for one. But who knows :P

I guess its gonna be Herrera with Fletcher or Carrick with Blind behind them for this season.

Cleverly was meant to be going to Villa but apparently his wage demands are above what Villa can give him so that's holding it up. Don't know whats happening with Fellaini, Napoli were rumoured to be interested but that was just a bit of gossip. Maybe he'll stay, he's not great but he's got a bit of physical presence

Apparently January is when they are gonna try and get Strootman

fIsince08 said:
AMS97KRR said:
fIsince08 said:
Platy said:
Hernandez is off to Real Madrid, Welbeck was pretty good for us.
Welbeck is still on the cards and does get goals on a regular basis and he's pacey as well  so he definitely fills the gap that Defoe left behind I think.  It's really that gap that needs filling that's why I think we're looking at him as a possible option as we've always played with at least one of our strikers having some pace. which unfortunatetly is something neither Adebayor or Soldado have and Kane isn't exactly prolific either. Plus Adebayor is  the only one of our strikers getting goals at the moment which is why he's seen sio much first team action lately as he's the only one of the 3 in any kind of form. I think Soldado has potential but needs to do better than last year he started off promisingly enough when he came to us but he tailed off.

Regarding Falcao and di Maria:

Utd getting Falcao and Di Maria is the equivalent of giving somebody who needs heart surgery fake t*ts. Looks nice, but isn't what's needed.

Couldn't have said it better.