Official Football Thread

Lost our ability to buy players because the club made a >£3m loss last season.
This is a club with Indian multimillionaire businessmen for owners who promised to buy their way to the champions league. We are now a championship club with no money. WTF? #VenkysOut

Asset stripping greedy b******s of owners...

AMS97KRR said:
I wouldn't say Balotelli done well at Man city, he was very average. At City he got 30 goals in 80 games, and in total he's had 90 in 235. That is not even a goal every 2 games. Lambert last year got 14 in 39, not too bad considering his team was 8th but still average. Balotelli got 18 in 41 last year in a league that most would consider worse than England, Spain and Germany. His last City season saw him get just 3 in 20 games. 

Are either of those players really starting 11 players for a UCL and BPL campaign? Doubt it, at least not right now with Balotelli.  He isn't a Suarez, Falcao, RvP, Diego Costa type player. He might score a ridiculous goal every now and again and maybe a goal in an important cup match, but if you need a consistent scorer, he isn't really the guy looking at those stats. A goal every 2 games is a minimum for a striker in the top 4 of the BPL. I mean RvP last year got 18 in 28 (All competitions), in a season where he was supposed to have not been that good. 
Maybe maybe not but I don't think Liverpool has as much money to throw at players like some of their other CL competitors do. So the manager has to get the best he thinks the club can afford much like my club Spurs really. They're not super rich like a Man City or Chelsea that try to buy success they're more of a traditional club that builds it's reputation by working for it Sometimes it works out for you sometimes it doesn't. It does make the job harder but it's a lot more satisfying when you pull it off.

If you look at the combined price of Lambert and Balotelli though, they could have spent £22 million on 1 quality player (I'm sure they had a little more, maybe even £30 million on one top striker) and then brought in a cheaper player who was young or something. I'd rather have 1 top striker than 2 bang average ones. As United have proved this season, quality wins you games because the best players take their chances when it matters.

Lambert was signed to be a backup striker, if Sturridge was fit then he'd be filling that role nicely. The Balotelli signing is awful though.

Doubt having Sturridge fit would sort Liverpool's problems out. There's absolutely nothing intimidating about playing them 

AMS97KRR said:
If you look at the combined price of Lambert and Balotelli though, they could have spent £22 million on 1 quality player (I'm sure they had a little more, maybe even £30 million on one top striker) and then brought in a cheaper player who was young or something. I'd rather have 1 top striker than 2 bang average ones. As United have proved this season, quality wins you games because the best players take their chances when it matters.
well sometimes even big name strikers have bad seasons haven't seen too much of Barcelona this season but apparently Suarez is struggling there so even the best can do bad sometimes. Soldado is another good example that springs to mind did brilliantly before coming to us getting close to around 30 goals a season in Spain in the 3 seasons before we signed him. I don't think he's even into double figures yet since he's been with us. Seems to me we've pretty much wasted £25 mil on him unless he can get on a roll soon. So sometimes it pays off sometimes it doesn't. Also sometimes average players do better than the big name ones. Our striker Harry Kane atm is a good example I don't really rate him that highly but tbf he is doing a pretty good job for us at the moment and he's a youth team product.

Rodgers did approach bigger strikers but none of them wanted to sign for Liverpool. Balotelli was his 5th or 6th choice striker. It's easy to say he should have gotten a better striker but how many world class strikers actually want to play for Liverpool ?

Hope we beat Accrington Stanley tonight, then face Man United at Huish Park :) Come on Yeovil!

SASBlink said:
Liverpool should buy Kane, I highly rate that guy. :)
well giovern he's the only striker we've got right now that's actually doing something I doubt we'd sell him at least not until we'd bought an effective replacement.

SASBlink said:
well giovern he's the only striker we've got right now that's actually doing something I doubt we'd sell him at least not until we'd bought an effective replacement.
We swap ya, you can have ballo, lambert or Borini.... well, actually you can all three if you want? xD

SASBlink said:
SASBlink said:
We swap ya, you can have ballo, lambert or Borini.... well, actually you can all three if you want? xD
But Borini is ours....

SASBlink said:
SASBlink said:
We swap ya, you can have ballo, lambert or Borini.... well, actually you can all three if you want?

I do expect us to sign another striker in January but who it will be I have no idea right now. I don't see us changing too much in January though as aside from our striker positions I think we're pretty much covered.

Hughesy said:
Buzzing right now, we won so have Man United in the FA cup!!! Come on Yeovil :D
Gg. Shame it couldn't have been an epic Lancashire David & Goliath game, but what can you do when your a league lower than you opponents...

That said, so many people backing Bournemouth over Liverpool!

Who wouldn't support Bournemouth over Liverpool? (except Liverpool fans)

Love the FA Cup, underdogs winning is always great to see. Except if United lose to an underdog :p

AMS97KRR said:

Love the FA Cup, underdogs winning is always great to see. Except if United lose to an underdog :p
There;s a difference between backing Bournemouth over Liverpool and supporting Bournemouth over Liverpool you know.  ;)

Beating a championship team.... making progress, next up, beat a premier league team. :stuck_out_tongue: 

Hope we don't get Chelsea in the semis, that's if we get though.... we not made that much progress :'(

If anything, its good to see some of that swagger back lol

AMS97KRR said:

Love it if they lose to Yeovil!  o:) I'll be getting my ticket for that game soon.