Official Football Thread

Its easy to blame foreign owners and players, but there's more to it than that. The coaching of English players is awful. The focus is on bigger, powerful players, who are determined. Skillful players get overlooked, their technique is forgotten about and we end up with a bag of average players.

If Messi was English do you think he would have gotten to where he is today?

A lot needs to change in the FA and in English football and the grassroots, blaming foreign ownership is an easy cop out.

AMS97KRR said:
I know a lot of people like to say Carrick is not that good (For some reason that is beyond me), but we've missed a huge trick by not playing him. Just look at his effect on Man United, he turns an average looking side into a team that can destroy Liverpool and Man City...Carrick, Henderson and Barkley would be a quality midfield. Front 3 of Sterling (maybe), Rooney and Welbeck could be good too. 

Plus we need to try and get Terry back in the team IMO. 
Terry's quality but he's too old. We need a young(er) manager to build up a young squad for the future.

Carrick was under used in the past, would have been a decent addition to the team.

Platy said:
Its easy to blame foreign owners and players, but there's more to it than that. The coaching of English players is awful. The focus is on bigger, powerful players, who are determined. Skillful players get overlooked, their technique is forgotten about and we end up with a bag of average players.

A lot needs to change in the FA and in English football and the grassroots, blaming foreign ownership is an easy cop out.
yeah but unless they get the chance to play though how can they shine that's the problem and show what they can do. There may be more to it but that's where for me the root of the problems are. They're not going to get the support they need if they can't get in their clubs first teams

Platy said:

yeah but unless they get the chance to play though how can they shine that's the problem and show what they can do. There may be more to it but that's where for me the root of the problems are. They're not going to get the support they need if they can't get in their clubs first teams
Good players generally get into the first team. There's good players coming through the leagues and through clubs own youth academies, but compared to Spain, Germany, France, etc, they're pretty average.

Its such an easy excuse to blame foreign owners and players when there's clearly a huge problem with grassroots football. We need to start at the bottom to fix the problem.

U11's playing on full sized pitches with full size goals, how is that productive or going to teach kids good technique? It just results in the bigger, stronger kids who can kick the ball harder being the focus of teams. English coaches are behind so many other countries, they just don't have a clue.

The FA don't have the power, ability or guts to actually make any strong changes; its all just words. The Premier League is too rich and powerful. Basically, unless England get lucky we're not going to win a major tournament. We're hanging on to the top teams in world but we're never going to overtake them if we don't make drastic changes to coaching, grassroots and youth football in England. But yeah, its the fault of Johnny Foreigner that we're bad.

Platy said:
Platy said:

Good players generally get into the first team. There's good players coming through the leagues and through clubs own youth academies, but compared to Spain, Germany, France, etc, they're pretty average.

Its such an easy excuse to blame foreign owners and players when there's clearly a huge problem with grassroots football. We need to start at the bottom to fix the problem.

U11's playing on full sized pitches with full size goals, how is that productive or going to teach kids good technique? It just results in the bigger, stronger kids who can kick the ball harder being the focus of teams. English coaches are behind so many other countries, they just don't have a clue.

The FA don't have the power, ability or guts to actually make any strong changes; its all just words. The Premier League is too rich and powerful. Basically, unless England get lucky we're not going to win a major tournament. We're hanging on to the top teams in world but we're never going to overtake them if we don't make drastic changes to coaching, grassroots and youth football in England. But yeah, its the fault of Johnny Foreigner that we're bad.
I think the FA do have the power but I think the problem there is they're worried about breaking EU rules and such by limiting the amount of foreigners our clubs can have which is why action isn't being taken. Aside from Barcelona and Real Madrid for example I don't see too many names in the other clubs that don't sound Spanish to me so it seems to me that they support their own same with France's Ligue 1 and Germany's Bundesliga to be fair. Now I don't know about whether their respective FA's have limitations in their leagues but if we want to pick ourselves up and get competitive again I think it would only help right now to establish limitations thereby encouraging clubs to develop the talent that we do have more I'm not saying we shouldn't have any foreign talents playing in our league but it needs to be more restricted I think than it is if we're ever to challenge at international level again.

God sake  :( I hope Blatter gets sent to jail. I hope all of the European teams pull out of the World Cup, it's the only way to get rid of Blatter.

Hughesy said:
God sake  :( I hope Blatter gets sent to jail. I hope all of the European teams pull out of the World Cup, it's the only way to get rid of Blatter.
I do get the feeling that he'll have to step down whether he wants to or not as he's losing support and fast none of the UEFA countries really support him any more except for maybe Russia and that's only because he let them have the WC. Especially as the sponsors are threatening to pull out if he doesn't go as well You may as well retire now Blatter if you have any credibility left in you although I have to admit it doesn't look like you have by your statements. I think our FA will consider pulling out if it becomes necessary but I don't know about other FA's.

fIsince08 said:
AMS97KRR said:
I know a lot of people like to say Carrick is not that good (For some reason that is beyond me), but we've missed a huge trick by not playing him. Just look at his effect on Man United, he turns an average looking side into a team that can destroy Liverpool and Man City...Carrick, Henderson and Barkley would be a quality midfield. Front 3 of Sterling (maybe), Rooney and Welbeck could be good too. 

Plus we need to try and get Terry back in the team IMO. 
John Terry is a disgrace to the national side and shouldn't ever be allowed back in it.
Lets not forget that Cole is also a terrible person. Gerrard punched someone at bar. Numerous other people have done some stupid things. Terry is one of the greatest English players ever, and we don't even use him...

Platy said:

Exactly this. 100%. I mean look what we did with Scholes and now Carrick. Both fantastic players to run games, and both overlooked in favour of Gerrard or Lampard...

Platy said:
Platy said:

Again, this is all true. Futsal is what we need more of. Small 5 a side teams on small pitches with small goals...If we do that, we will produce those Messi, Iniesta, Xavi players. If we stuck a bunch of English kids in Spain, they'd have a far better chance of becoming great...

Hopefully. Then we just need to give 2018 to England and all is right. Oh and USA gets 2022.

AMS97KRR said:
Hopefully. Then we just need to give 2018 to England and all is right. Oh and USA gets 2022.
Whilst I'd like that to happen I doubt that will. I think the WC's will stay where they are as they're all planned out now I think. But getting rid of Blatter will hopefully prevent stupid things like this from happening again though with any luck

The thing is though, it is not to late to change location. And if Russia gets it (through unfair means might I add), England or indeed Europe in general, cannot get it again until 2030...2022 and 2026 must be somewhere other than Europe. And that is only the earliest it could get it again, it could easily go back to south America in 2030 and it's just crazy. 
I'm 18 right now, I'd be 33 the next time Europe can hold it if we don't get 2018...And we haven't held it since '66. FIFA just hates England I guess. We've got a better case than almost anyone to hold it then, we've got the history, the stadiums, the infrastructure and the support. Wembley is the biggest stadium in Europe, or is at least one of the biggest. 

Wembley is the 2nd biggest. If Russia get stripped of it then England should be hosts, I don't see Russia being stripped of it though.

Qatar on the other hand need to be stripped of the World Cup. It should be moved to Australia to keep it in the AFC. 

Ah, second biggest. Which is bigger? Nou Camp maybe? 

I don't see it either, which sucks since they bribed their way too it. Plus, look at what is going on with Russia right now...I was torn between USA and Australia though. USA came second in the votes and they've actually done something good for the football world this week.

Platy said:
Wembley is the 2nd biggest. If Russia get stripped of it then England should be hosts, I don't see Russia being stripped of it though.

Qatar on the other hand need to be stripped of the World Cup. It should be moved to Australia to keep it in the AFC. 
that's what I meant (I cant see them stripping Russia of the WC Qatar maybe but not Russia but I doubt either are likely to be changed

England or USA for 2018. They have the best infrastructure currently in place to hold it at short notice. Australia or USA (if they don't get 2018) for 2022. In any case, I think the absolute deadline for a 2018 change is mid-2016 but I don't really see them taking Russia off without Putin having a massive fit. Qatar's bid was obviously corrupt and it's still 7 years so we have plenty of time.

England 2018 and Australia 2022 does have a nice ring to it.

Platy said:

If Russia lose it then I think it's goes to USA as they came second, or was that for the next one?

Hughesy said:
Platy said:

If Russia lose it then I think it's goes to USA as they came second, or was that for the next one?
That was Qatar. Everyone who ended up voting for Russia 2018 actually told Prince William, David Cameron and Beckham they would vote for England. Last minute bribes or just lying?

fIsince08 said:
England has so many great stadiums it could be held here easily.
it could but as I said I don't see either the 2018 or the 2022 hosts changing tbh.

I thought Qatar was in the middle of the desert. The World Cup happens in Summer. How will the players cope?

Juice29 said:
I thought Qatar was in the middle of the desert. The World Cup happens in Summer. How will the players cope?
It'll happen on December, won't it?