Jump to content

Official Football Thread

Recommended Posts

mike96 said:
Juice29 said:
I thought Qatar was in the middle of the desert. The World Cup happens in Summer. How will the players cope?
It'll happen on December, won't it? 
That messes with almost every single major domestic league/championship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Exactly. I don't think it would really be possible. How could we take 1 month or so out of the football calendar in Europe? It would disrupt leagues, cups, European competitions...I just don't see how it would work personally...Maybe the season would have to end in June, but then that might disrupt other things..

Also, it could mean that some players end up away from families at Christmas, because although it is due to end on something like the 23rd December, Christmas travel is not exactly reliable is it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Juice29 said:
Hoping to get some action at the Stadium of Light Chris? :tongue:
Yes :p 

I wouldn't mind having the world cup in the summer, none of our players get called up so if we play the big teams we may have a chance ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mike96 said:
Juice29 said:
I thought Qatar was in the middle of the desert. The World Cup happens in Summer. How will the players cope?
It'll happen on December, won't it? 
Yeah I think it's been moved to January/Feb time I heard on Sky sports a while back when conditions are at their coolest in that area of the world. It means all the domestic action is likely to get postponed for about a month and the football calendar that year will be in a bit of chaos but unfortunately we'll just have to put up with it I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fIsince08 said:
Juice29 said:
Hoping to get some action at the Stadium of Light Chris? :tongue:
Yes :p 

I wouldn't mind having the world cup in the summer, none of our players get called up so if we play the big teams we may have a chance ;)
I don't think many other teams in the Championship are effected by international call up ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SUper nervous for the FA cup final. This match makes or breaks our season :tired_face: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Qatar needs to be stripped of it, not because of the bribery and corruption, but because of the human rights violations in that country. Its become bigger than football and if FIFA continue to support a world cup there then there's a bigger problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kinda in two minds actually, as if Arsenal win Southampton qualify for the Europa League which would be awesome :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alexis definitely made the right choice of going to Arsenal instead of Liverpool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What a day, didn't get back until 5 this morning aha. 
Absolutely buzzing, won 70 pound on it as well!!  :#

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AMS97KRR said:
Exactly. I don't think it would really be possible. How could we take 1 month or so out of the football calendar in Europe? It would disrupt leagues, cups, European competitions...I just don't see how it would work personally...Maybe the season would have to end in June, but then that might disrupt other things..

Also, it could mean that some players end up away from families at Christmas, because although it is due to end on something like the 23rd December, Christmas travel is not exactly reliable is it? 

in fairness though some countries leagues are still disrupted anyway we just don't see it because it's not generally our league that is disrupted in fairness. Given that for us we're in our close season then As leagues that are played during the summer still do get disrupted. So there would be disruptions somewhere regardless of when it took place. The only difference with the new dates for that is it'll be us that'll face it. A lot of the Scandinavian leagues play during the summer as do the US and Brazillian leagues. They've adjusted to having a WC in the middle of their seasons so I guess it's something we are going to have to adjust to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sepp Blatter is resigning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32982449

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
yeah it looks like he's finally got the hint shame he didn' tdo this before the election though given Fifa now need to stage another one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×