Official Football Thread

Platy said:
Football's coming home!

Well it's our first ever semi final in the womens game so well done to them. We're not there yet but it's certainly looking good. Next up is the reigning champs Japan and if we get past them it'll be Germany or the USA in the final.

Surprisingly enjoyed watching the WWC, quality has been pretty mediocre if not brutal at times, but most of the games have had a bit of excitement. France looked the best out of all the teams i'd seen, looked like they could play a but of football

Higher quality than Scottish football  :p

I think the quality has been pretty high tbh, it's a lot more honest compared to men's football.

Hughesy said:
Higher quality than Scottish football  :p

I think the quality has been pretty high tbh, it's a lot more honest compared to men's football.
yeah I haven't watched much of it but I did see England's game last night that was good. I think the womens game is more honest mostly because there's not as much money polluting it most of the players just seem like ordinary folk ulike the mens game where if you want a good player you've got to pay through the nose for it these days.

I think the standard is probably below junior level up here.......................

There's just so many mis placed passes, shots, no tactical awareness and don't get me started on the defending and goalkeeping. Less said the better

I watched one game where the keeper kicked it out. 2 players went for the header, both missed, the ball bounced, they went for the header again and missed. They then tried to control the ball and missed yet again...........

Why not just like it for what it is instead of comparing it to the men's game?

So pathetic to belittle a sport, or even a league, because its not up to the standards of something else. As long as its competitive does it really matter?

Platy said:

So pathetic to belittle a sport, or even a league, because its not up to the standards of something else. As long as its competitive does it really matter?
Agreed I've watched one or 2 womens football matches on BT Sport and enjoyed them in fact probably a bit more than some of the mens football lately. Also I'm quite looking forward to the womens teams being added to Fifa and doing some custom cups/leagues with them. Not sure how much I'll play with the mens teams right now as I've still got career modes on the go on Fifa 15 right now. But it depends on how much of them I get done before it comes out I guess.

Platy said:

Eh? I said i had enjoyed it and some of the games have been exiting, and whats wrong with comparing it to the mens game? Its football in the end.

Don't really see how saying the quality is poor is belittling womens football when its true, a lot of the goals have come from defensive errors or poor goalkeeping. I like competitive games, but i also like to watch good quality football and France were the only team that had that ability

Platy said:

Eh? I said i had enjoyed it and some of the games have been exiting, and whats wrong with comparing it to the mens game? Its football in the end.

Don't really see how saying the quality is poor is belittling womens football when its true, a lot of the goals have come from defensive errors or poor goalkeeping. I like competitive games, but i also like to watch good quality football and France were the only team that had that ability
tbh the majority of goals come from poor defending or bad goalkeeping even in the mens game.

Because no one watches women's tennis, golf, cricket, rugby, etc and goes "this isnt as good as the men's version ", so why is there a need to do it for women's football?

Platy said:
Because no one watches women's tennis, golf, cricket, rugby, etc and goes "this isnt as good as the men's version ", so why is there a need to do it for women's football?

|Yeah but I have to admit I tend to watch more of the female players than the mens when it comes to the tennis not that I watch much of that. Mostly I think because most of the  female tennis players aer quite pretty I think. I'd never belittle them as a lot of them are quite talented at what they do.. In fact when it comes to music as well I tend to listen to mostly female artists. I think again mostly because I prefer female singers.

I have to admit on my tennis games I have like the topspin series I play on both the mens and womens circuits mostly to get moer out of the game too. TBH the mens sports is full of faults now mostly because of the money I think in the games at least with the womens game they play honestly. I have to admit in a lot of sports it's a shame that the men don't follow the womens example. Because a lot of mens sports are being shown up.

Platy said:
Uh, i'm pretty sure people do... 

If you were to show a Mens football game, then show a Womens game back to back or another sport then they probably would think/say that the Mens game was better

Platy said:

If you were to show a Mens football game, then show a Womens game back to back or another sport then they probably would think/say that the Mens game was better

And I will never understand why people will do this.

Platy said:
Platy said:

And I will never understand why people will do this.
I don't think I will either.

If England won the Womens world cup, it would be cool. But it will never be the same as the mens team winning it for me. 

But aren't USA and Germany both miles better? 

Also, someone pointed out on Reddit that USA vs Germany and England vs Japan was very WW2-esque 

AMS97KRR said:

Yep, Canada weren't the worst, but they aren't on the same level as the US and Germany.

Japan are a pretty good outfit, seem pretty well organised, but not sure how they'll get on with England's physicality

AMS97KRR said:
If England won the Womens world cup, it would be cool. But it will never be the same as the mens team winning it for me. 

Also, someone pointed out on Reddit that USA vs Germany and England vs Japan was very WW2-esque 

they're supposed to be yeah but we all know that when it comes to this stage of the tournament it's how you perform on the day. TBH the game between England and Canada. I found more entertaining than most of the Premier league matches I've watched this last season. Either way though win or lose the women have done themselves proud just getting this far given it's England's first ever semi in the women's game. So I'd be telling them no matter what happens from here on in they can be proud of themselves if I was their coach. Chances are though we've got a better chance at winning in the women's game right now than we have in the men's though so we may as well take what we can get.

Japan, USA and Germany are all much better than England. It'll be tough to go any further and I can't see them beating either Germany or the US in the final.

Platy said:
Japan, USA and Germany are all much better than England. It'll be tough to go any further and I can't see them beating either Germany or the US in the final.
Neither can I but as Greavsie used to say "It's a funny old game"