Official Football Thread

Well then again, he did have a proven Premiership winning squad inherited from Sir Alex, so the fact that United are sitting outside European qualification says a lot about him as a tactician. I think, as much as anything, he wasn't ready for such a jump from Everton to United. He probably thought that United, after years of success, would help him as much as they help themselves, but as we've seen, that isn't the case.

I am thinking it would be better to sack Moyes. 

Many people will say "It is not his team". Well I disagree with this statement. Chelsea and City have had new managers recently, and they have not struggled one bit. Everton are doing better then ever (mind you, they have Lukaku on-loan) without Moyes. So what is the excuse for Moyes? He has already spent like 65 million on the team he inherited and he has wasted half of that on Fellaini. 

Then you look at the amount of points we have at home this season and it is a really low amount, in fact at one stage is was less than Norwich had at home, not sure if it still is. The team he has is not THAT bad, he still has a title winning team and a few really good players, he is just clueless when it comes to tactics. He is constantly changing our line up, he always gets the line up wrong. He never plays Ryan Giggs who, yes I know is 40, is one of the best midfielders we have. Ok he wont play week in week out but still, once ever 3 or 4 games would be good. 
He has no idea what position to play Juan Mata or Kagawa in and as a result they don't play as well.

You say "there is no top managers". De Boer and Van Gaal are both available, Klopp would take the job I'm sure. 
SAF made a mistake IMO, and we need to move on. 

Let me put this question to you: If any other top club in Europe needed a new manager, how many would have considered Moyes as a good fit last summer?

I'd say none, mid table is his level. If he got sacked, somewhere like Norwich might be a good fit for him, a smaller team looking to stay/get back in the premier league to rebuild his reputation which he really needs to do. He is a good BPL manager, but not for United and not even Everton. Moyes done a good job of getting Everton out of trouble and built a good, solid team. But United are a great team with a reputation for winning. Moyes, as of now, doesn't have the know how to win anything big. Heck, even Martinez and Laudrup have won trophies with smaller teams in the BPL.
His teams play negative football and he has turned champions into an embarrassment in a few months. 

Honestly, if he got sacked tomorrow and we put Giggs in charge for the last 4 games, I would not be unhappy at all. This season has been a mistake. Why have Moyes when we could have Van Gaal, De Boer or Klopp or someone like that?

AMS97KRR said:
I am thinking it would be better to sack Moyes. 

Many people will say "It is not his team". Well I disagree with this statement. Chelsea and City have had new managers recently, and they have not struggled one bit. Everton are doing better then ever (mind you, they have Lukaku on-loan) without Moyes. So what is the excuse for Moyes? He has already spent like 65 million on the team he inherited and he has wasted half of that on Fellaini. 

Then you look at the amount of points we have at home this season and it is a really low amount, in fact at one stage is was less than Norwich had at home, not sure if it still is. The team he has is not THAT bad, he still has a title winning team and a few really good players, he is just clueless when it comes to tactics. He is constantly changing our line up, he always gets the line up wrong. He never plays Ryan Giggs who, yes I know is 40, is one of the best midfielders we have. Ok he wont play week in week out but still, once ever 3 or 4 games would be good. 
He has no idea what position to play Juan Mata or Kagawa in and as a result they don't play as well.

You say "there is no top managers". De Boer and Van Gaal are both available, Klopp would take the job I'm sure. 
SAF made a mistake IMO, and we need to move on. 

Let me put this question to you: If any other top club in Europe needed a new manager, how many would have considered Moyes as a good fit last summer?

I'd say none, mid table is his level. If he got sacked, somewhere like Norwich might be a good fit for him, a smaller team looking to stay/get back in the premier league to rebuild his reputation which he really needs to do. 
His teams play negative football and he has turned champions into an embarrassment in a few months. 

Honestly, if he got sacked tomorrow and we put Giggs in charge for the last 4 games, I would not be unhappy at all. This season has been a mistake. Why have Moyes when we could have Van Gaal, De Boer or Klopp or someone like that?

Because Sunderland like cup finals and points? :p

They wanted to create a dynasty as with Sir Alex. They saw Moyes as a perfect fit; i.e. Scottish, worked his way up, and felt all nostalgic foolishly thinking that Moyes was a SAF clone, albeit three hundred years younger. That's where they went wrong.

De Boer just signed a contact with AZ. Klopp has recently come and said he's happy at Dortmund and wouldn't take the Barcelona job, so no chance he goes to Man Utd either.

Exactly, the Glazers got it wrong and I think they know that. But they don't want to publicly admit it and I don't think he'll be sacked. 

One part of me really wants Norwich to beat Man United at OT. Firstly, it will ensure Norwich get closer to staying in the BPL and it may also be enough to sack him. 

Funnily enough, Moyes is the first manager appointed by the Glazers, and you only have to look at their American team (Baseball or NFL) to see how bad they are at appointing them. This comes as no suprise. Ideally I'd love it if the Glazers took Moyes and their debts with them some place else so we could get new owners who know what they are doing, have some money still and wont pile debt on United. But clearly they wont leave. Moyes has to go.

Well if Moyes does get his marching orders, I'm in need of a job and my Football Manager CV is rather impressive.

Haha, to be honest, you couldn't do any worse. There is only so bad you can be with a team that has RVP, Rooney, Mata, De Gea and Kagawa

What I'd really like to see is Klopp as manager with Giggs in the coaching mix somewhere (I know he is play-coach now) to prepare him to be a manager some day. I'd love to see Giggs as a successful coach for United.

I knew Moyes wouldn't be a good fit last summer. He can't motivate a team like Fergie or Mourinho when the chips are down and he needs to. Arguably only did it vs Olympiakos but c'mon it's Olympiakos. Gonna enjoy rubbing it in the face of my Utd house mate. Especially as he's taken pride in saying Moyes will be given time and is better than Mourinho. Think Conte will go there. About to win the Scudetto for third straight time and may feel his work there is done if Jive win the Europa League-in their own stadium. Then possibly Simeone, then Hiddink is the running order I'd expect. No chance are Klopp or Reus going though.

EdMa said:
Especially as he's taken pride in saying Moyes will be given time and is better than Mourinho.
Funniest thing I've heard all week. (Ok, it's only Monday, but still.)

The Moyes being sacked rumors are circulating. This could be the week! :D

While I do agree with you, to fall down 6 places in one season is unacceptable. 

After Sir Alex left I thought to myself that this would be a transitional season where we'd probably finish 3rd or 4th. Turns out we are 7th, with a set of Championship winning players. Some of these players have 1 or 2 champions league medals too.

Moyes has wasted 27.5 million on a lamp shade that he bought so it looked like his summer wasn't a complete failure. The fact is, nobody wants to play for Moyes, the fact that Giggs is rumored to be retiring and then LEAVING United shows you that nobody wants him there. 
The players would play for Giggs if he took over, he is a legend and the most successful British player in history. 

fIsince08 said:
@AMS97KRR The manager isn't always the problem.
true I think most of Man U's squad are pretty much past their sell by date and by that I mean they're past their best now. I wouldn't rush into sacking him yet personally. Yes they've had a bad season but I believe Sir Alex started out badly too so sometimes you do need to give it time.  Man U do have resources to draw on if required I think it'll just take time for Moyes to get it together and get to use them the right way. Also if Fergie did recommend Moyes for the position then he must have seen something that he thought Man U could use

Yay, lets watch another manager fail....

If Moyes does sadly go then the only other managers i would want to set foot at OT are either Antonio Conte or Diego Simeone. Best managers in the world.

Why would anybody want Guardiola? Whats he done? He walked into a perfect team at Barca and did the exact same at Bayern, there's no proof that he can actually build a decent team imo

fIsince08 said:
@AMS97KRR The manager isn't always the problem.
true I think most of Man U's squad are pretty much past their sell by date and by that I mean they're past their best now. I wouldn't rush into sacking him yet personally. Yes they've had a bad season but I believe Sir Alex started out badly too so sometimes you do need to give it time.  Man U do have resources to draw on if required I think it'll just take time for Moyes to get it together and get to use them the right way. Also if Fergie did recommend Moyes for the position then he must have seen something that he thought Man U could use
People say this, but then look at the quality we do have. We have RVP. Rooney, Mata, De Gea and Kagawa, that is 5 players that most teams in the world would happily have. United teams of old haven't always been full of stars, sometimes there might be 7 or 8 out of the starting 11 and the other few would be a little above average, but because the rest of the teams outstanding players, they'd be fine. 

Looking at that attacking talent you'd say we'd score a lot of goals. But no, we really haven't. Why? Because Moyes doesn't play attacking football, and that is what United need. He has no idea how to play to his strengths, he doesn't know who to use where on the pitch. He buys a 37 million pound player and plays him out of position, I mean is he insane? 

In midfield, he has Giggs, Carrick, Januzaj, Valencia, Kagawa and Mata. Sure, we don't have a good holding midfield player but at the end of the day, he has some good midfielders. And anyway, he had all summer and January to sign someone good and then he bought Fellaini. 

In defence he has an experienced/old Vidic and a Young Phil Jones. Common sense tells me we should play them together so that Jones can learn from the best all season before Vidic leaves. The rest of our defenders are useless but then again, he had all summer to do something about it.

He has messed up everything from 1st July until now, what makes you think it will change? Has anyone seen anything positive come out of this season except Januzaj looking promising and the signing of Mata?

Moyes can't attract the same calibre of players that the world's top managers can, Fergie, Guardiola, Mou, Ancelotti etc. He doesn't seem to have the same sort of aura that Fergie did which is so important in the bigger games, especially the Champions League. I know he signed Mata, but who honestly believes he joined United to work with David Moyes rather than play more to try and get into Spain's WC squad. Which doesn't likely atm given he's more often than not played out of position.

Exactly, Moyes has to get the players in, which I don't think he can. So he has to go.

EdMa said:
Moyes can't attract the same calibre of players that the world's top managers can, Fergie, Guardiola, Mou, Ancelotti etc. He doesn't seem to have the same sort of aura that Fergie did which is so important in the bigger games, especially the Champions League. I know he signed Mata, but who honestly believes he joined United to work with David Moyes rather than play more to try and get into Spain's WC squad. Which doesn't likely atm given he's more often than not played out of position.
very true but I think that maybe down to the fact he hasn't won anything yet. Will he? Only time can answer that

He's been a manager at a top half Premier club, and the best club in the country when he took over-he should have won at least a League Cup in that time. Sorry, but one FA Cup final and a Community Shield win against a Championship side should not cut the mustard.

Exactly, 11 years at Everton and won nothing. Martinez won with Wigan, Laudrup with Swansea, even Portsmouth won an FA Cup in that time.

well our domestic competitions aer pretty competitive it doesn't take much to slip up Arsenal are a good example of that too yes they've made top 4 regularly but they haven't won that many trophies under Wenger have they? I'm not knocking them because they are a pretty consistent team for the most part. What I'm saying is our league is highly competitive and 1 mistake can make or break a season.

True, but when you look at United this season you don't look at them and think that although it isn't going great at least you can see what they are trying to do for the future because you cannot. This is the best team Moyes has ever had, and it is the worst he has done for a while.

At a club like Everton that expect to finish 8th - 5th he is fine, but at a club that expects a top 4 finish or titles every season, he cannot handle it. And I don't want another season like this or Moyes wasting yet more money.