Official Football Thread

This has made me laugh so hard.. :joy:

https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD/status/731857416950681601

Hughesy said:
Because Everton are probably on par with Aston Villa atm playing wise, couldn't have asked for an easier must win game to secure safety. 

Just feel that they wouldn't have got that result against most other teams
yeah almost like we can't ask for an easier game to secuer 2nd spot given we play Newcastle for our last match and we only need to draw to do it.
Oops........ Fail

Indeed that's why I don't gamble I'm hopeless at it. There's still hope though we can still  salvage it because we still have what's left of the second half to come back.

Platy said:
It needs to go to the last game so Newcastle have something to play for and beat Spurs, which means when Arsenal win they finish 2nd. So in Spurs best ever season they still end up finishing behind Arsenal.
I should start gambling.

Stlil 3rd is still a good finishing spot but we hada pretty bad run in in the end and that's what's cost us.

Is it though? I wouldn't be happy finishing 3rd if I was a Spurs fan. That was your best chance ever to win the league and you blew it....and blew finishing above Arsenal....

I expect Chelsea to be back next season with Conte, God knows what pep will do with City and even United could be back with a few signings. 

Is it though? I wouldn't be happy finishing 3rd if I was a Spurs fan. That was your best chance ever to win the league and you blew it....and blew finishing above Arsenal....

I expect Chelsea to be back next season with Conte, God knows what pep will do with City and even United could be back with a few signings. 

well this season is a bit of an unusual one to be fair. Granted it probably was but with only one striker in our squad I don't think we were ever going to be much of a goal threat and had we been strong at the end qand won a couple of those games we drew we probably could have taken the fight to Leicester more but that's the way it is. But I'd have taken 2nd/3rd at the start of the season anyway knowing how difficult this league is and counted it a bonus because I don't think anyone expected the Premier League to have the strange season it's just had. To be honest I'm judging things based on where I'd have expected us to finish rather than where we actually did though as I'd have expected 4th-6th and we finished higher than that so I'd say that's good.

It's kind of funny how Spurs fucked it up. Really funny tbh. Doesn't wash away the embarrassment that is this season, but it's funny.

Jiggy said:
It's kind of funny how Spurs fucked it up. Really funny tbh. Doesn't wash away the embarrassment that is this season, but it's funny.

tbh I don' t consider finishing 3rd an embarrassment though getting relegated yes not finishing 3rd.

Jiggy said:

tbh I don' t consider finishing 3rd an embarrassment though getting relegated yes not finishing 3rd.
I was talking from an Arsenal-perspective tbh mate. Would assume that quite a lot of Spurs-fans are quite annoyed at being overtaken by Arsenal at the final day of the season after the season they've had.

Jiggy said:
Jiggy said:

I was talking from an Arsenal-perspective tbh mate. Would assume that quite a lot of Spurs-fans are quite annoyed at being overtaken by Arsenal at the final day of the season after the season they've had.

true but I think that's moer down to us slipping up on the last day moer than anything because had we got the draw we needed we'd have stayed there. Also especially given Newcastle's season we'd have expected to get it without too many problems. I consider it a mere bad day at the office really tbh rather than the norm it's just unfortunate from our point of view that it cost us 2nd spot is all. Besides all in all  we still achieved our objective of getting into the Champions League either way. So despite the loss to Newcastle we still got what we wanted from the season.

Not happy with the England squad, so many players there that don't deserve to be whilst the likes of Defoe, Noble and maybe Andy Carrol miss out.

I'd have gone:
GK: Hart, Forster, Foster
FB: Walker, Bertrand, Rose
CB: Smalling, Stones, Jagielka, Cahill
MF: Dier, Noble, Alli, Drinkwater, Lallana, Milner, Sterling, Towsend, Antonio, Barkley
ST: Vardy, Kane, Defoe

fIsince08 said:
Not happy with the England squad, so many players there that don't deserve to be whilst the likes of Defoe, Noble and maybe Andy Carrol miss out.

I'd have gone:
MF: Dier, Noble, Alli, Drinkwater, Lallana, Milner, Sterling, Towsend, Antonio, Barkley
I've not seen the squad but seeing as our chances of winning our practically zilch I don't think it really matters that much.

Love these, if you haven't seen them on Twitter then you should, hilarious 
https://twitter.com/mph1982/status/732293358534701060
https://twitter.com/willgriggfire/status/731818199650578433
https://twitter.com/willgriggfire/status/731577587957436417

fIsince08 said:

I'd have gone:
I kind of don't want to start a discussion over this, but I kind of do. I don't get this cry (mostly on Twitter) for Defoe to get picked, because the 4 strikers that are most likely to get picked for the Euros are all either in better form or proven elite talents that has made the difference before at a high level. When you are as good as Sturridge or Rooney has been, then you deserve a bit leeway when you have had your season disrupted by injury, unless the people that can oust you, are of similiar quality to you on your best. That's not the case with Defoe and Sturridge and Rooney. Besides, Rooney and Sturridge can offer something different to Vardy and Kane, who are pure goalscorers (although Kane can also contirbute to the build-up in some way), just like Defoe. It's not like Defoe hasn't had a good season, I just don't see why you'd bring a reasonably good player in on a good season over other players who, to their standards, have been disappointing, but have the ability to put fear in any defender. Sturridge on form is the best striker of the league, maybe even the planet. You don't need to start him, but you have to bring him along as an option.

Same goes for Wilshere. Basically too good compared to the alternatives not to bring along to the Euros if he's fully fit. Same goes for Henderson. Noble as a whole doesn't really offer anything that the likes of Drinkwater, Milner, Delph, Wilshere and Henderson and probably Barkley and Alli, maybe even Dier can't do. Although I would definitely pick Noble over Delph.

West Ham-fans are going a bit overboard with their guys not being picked a little bit. I'd say that Cresswell and Antonio would have the biggest chances at getting picked. Carroll too, because he's a completely different kind of beast in attack compared to anyone else. But as a whole, it's nto England's game though, so that doesn't really help Carroll's and probably Antonio's case.

I'd say that from the current squad barring injuries that Rashford, Drinkwater and Delph are going to get the cut though. Don't see Townsend going because he's basically the only winger in that team.

3 years ago today we got promoted to the Championship, what a day that was. This team will go down as legends considering we had a smaller budget than 2 non league teams at the time, yet got to the second tier of English football.
https://twitter.com/ytfc/status/733175575305674752

@fIsince08 Sunderland boss living it large in Marbella :joy:
https://twitter.com/matt_chappp/status/736869374221553664

I hope he enjoys his holiday, he's deserved it! I guess that's what he spent his bonus on :p 

Cheer Roy, means a lot :joy: 

https://twitter.com/jonnypurchase/status/739151645389553664?s=09

What the actual hell is this?
https://twitter.com/SunderlandAFC/status/740646914891354117?lang=en-gb

Maybe they did B&Q colour match with one of the Stadium of Light seats :joy:

I sort of like it. It's not as good as that blue kit two seasons back, but I like it more than the green kit. You've had some unique good looking away kits lately tbh.

That Welsh Sheep shagger eating his words right now. Chat **** get banged