Official Football Thread

AMS97KRR said:
True, but when you look at United this season you don't look at them and think that although it isn't going great at least you can see what they are trying to do for the future because you cannot. This is the best team Moyes has ever had, and it is the worst he has done for a while.

At a club like Everton that expect to finish 8th - 5th he is fine, but at a club that expects a top 4 finish or titles every season, he cannot handle it. And I don't want another season like this or Moyes wasting yet more money.
Its the best team he has had, but this is also one of the worst United teams in recent years. RVP has also missed a ton of games this season and he was the main source of goals last season so there was no way they were going to challenge for the title.

AMS97KRR said:
Exactly, 11 years at Everton and won nothing. Martinez won with Wigan, Laudrup with Swansea, even Portsmouth won an FA Cup in that time.
Portsmouth bankrupted themselves doing it and are now currently mid-table in League 2. That's not really a valid comparison. Pretty sure all of Portsmouth's fans would swap the FA Cup win with where Everton sit in terms of finances and stature.

Platy said:
AMS97KRR said:
Exactly, 11 years at Everton and won nothing. Martinez won with Wigan, Laudrup with Swansea, even Portsmouth won an FA Cup in that time.
Portsmouth bankrupted themselves doing it and are now currently mid-table in League 2. That's not really a valid comparison. Pretty sure all of Portsmouth's fans would swap the FA Cup win with where Everton sit in terms of finances and stature.
Yeah I do see your point. But even Birmingham won it in that time.

AMS97KRR said:
True, but when you look at United this season you don't look at them and think that although it isn't going great at least you can see what they are trying to do for the future because you cannot. This is the best team Moyes has ever had, and it is the worst he has done for a while.

At a club like Everton that expect to finish 8th - 5th he is fine, but at a club that expects a top 4 finish or titles every season, he cannot handle it. And I don't want another season like this or Moyes wasting yet more money.
Its the best team he has had, but this is also one of the worst United teams in recent years. RVP has also missed a ton of games this season and he was the main source of goals last season so there was no way they were going to challenge for the title.

But you'd agree that 5th place is the minimum due to Liverpool coming up the table?

AMS97KRR said:

I agree I didn't think he was ghiong to either the only surprise to me this year was seeing Liverpool flying back to the top as quickly as they have but the erst has been pretty routine and expected I think

AMS97KRR said:

AMS97KRR said:

But you'd agree that 5th place is the minimum due to Liverpool coming up the table?
Maybe at the start of the season i would have said 5th was ok, but Everton have been a ton better than expected so i think United should probably be 6th.

If they didn't make so many errors then they would be there, hopefully Spurs will slip up

AMS97KRR said:

AMS97KRR said:

Maybe at the start of the season i would have said 5th was ok, but Everton have been a ton better than expected so i think United should probably be 6th.

If they didn't make so many errors then they would be there, hopefully Spurs will slip up
I hope not we've had a dodgy enough season as it is

I personally want Moyes to stay because I have a lot of friends who go for United that have been dead silent this season. I enjoy silence.

Love how the club's Twitter account tweeted Happy Birthday to Dion Dublin, before announcing Moyes sacking 20 seconds later.

Mourinho is now the 9th longest serving manager in the PL. And people say Chelsea can't do stability.

EdMa said:
Mourinho is now the 9th longest serving manager in the PL. And people say Chelsea can't do stability.
And I assume you're joking?

I'm assuming that includes his first Chelsea stint?
Nope, since last year. Mark Hughes at Stoke is 8th.
yugin96 said:
EdMa said:

EdMa said:
yugin96 said:
EdMa said:
Not like a Liverpool fan to not have a sense of humour. Oh wait, it's you.

EdMa said:
EdMa said:
yugin96 said:
EdMa said:
Not like a Liverpool fan to not have a sense of humour. Oh wait, it's you.
Well, onetwothree's tone did seem a little more serious. 

Firstly, I am both happy and sad that Moyes has been sacked. I mean, come on, give the man a break. It's only his first season in one of the best clubs of the world and he needs a good deal of time to establish himself. With that being said, is nearly a year not enough ? Honestly, no. When you sign a guy for 6 years then you must give him lots of time to deliver his true potential and at times, he delivered albeit not being up to the standards we expected. But at the same time, where has he drawn the team to ? Needless to say, it's been the worst seasons ever and so many records have been broken(sarcasm). I agree with what many of you have said here, he just doesn't have the top level manager caliber nor the aura that others have had mainly SAF. He plays defensive football, wastes transfer money, forces players to play out of their preferred positions etc. Agreed, the team has had to deal with many injuries this season and this definitely isn't the best United team ever but to currently lie in 7th place and many many embarrassing losses ain't an excuse. I am divided in my opinion here, whil I do think he should have stayed but at the same time I wasn't risking a repeat season.

Your thoughts ?

Ron666 said:
Firstly, I am both happy and sad that Moyes has been sacked. I mean, come on, give the man a break. It's only his first season in one of the best clubs of the world and he needs a good deal of time to establish himself. With that being said, is nearly a year not enough ? Honestly, no. When you sign a guy for 6 years then you must give him lots of time to deliver his true potential and at times, he delivered albeit not being up to the standards we expected. But at the same time, where has he drawn the team to ? Needless to say, it's been the worst seasons ever and so many records have been broken(sarcasm). I agree with what many of you have said here, he just doesn't have the top level manager caliber nor the aura that others have had mainly SAF. He plays defensive football, wastes transfer money, forces players to play out of their preferred positions etc. Agreed, the team has had to deal with many injuries this season and this definitely isn't the best United team ever but to currently lie in 7th place and many many embarrassing losses ain't an excuse. I am divided in my opinion here, whil I do think he should have stayed but at the same time I wasn't risking a repeat season.

Your thoughts ?
I'm in agreement tbh I think following on from Sir Alex was always going to be difficult whoever replaced him. Although he didn't do great I think sometimes chairmen and fans can be somewhat impatient I don't think we've seen the last of him as I think he'll get another job. But if I were in his shoes I'd try the lower leagues again and try to rebuild my reputation  as I don't see any of the big clubs necessarily wanting him after what happened as he has proven himself at the lower levels at least