Official Football Thread

This is getting Portsmouth-esque for Sunderland. Betting they still have players on massive wages like Rodwell.

fIsince08 said:
Jiggy said:
fIsince08 said:
Hughesy said:
Losing the first game of the season 8-2 isn't great, that's me being polite. Still Norwich lost first game of the season 7-2 or something a few years ago and won the league, that's me clutching at straws.....

I was quite happy with our draw yesterday, I was fearing double drop!
I don't see Sundreland suffering a double relegation your teams not that bad.
I can tbh. Easily. Going to put money on it too, the way Sunderland is being managed.
We aren't going down again. Our squad is by no means relegation bad and Grayson knows what he is doing. Short is looking to sell, he's not going to let us go down again and lose more money.
How do you feel about your chances now? First team in Football League history to now go 20 home games without a victory. That IS relegation form.

As for Coleman taking the job, I'm not sure I understand it at all. Leave a job where you are adored by your nation and lived the highs of a Euro semi final, to sign up to a poisoned chalice. I mean, fair play if he does a fine job and sorts the club out but can you really see that happening under the current set up of the club?

EUfkdup said:
fIsince08 said:
Jiggy said:
fIsince08 said:
Hughesy said:
Losing the first game of the season 8-2 isn't great, that's me being polite. Still Norwich lost first game of the season 7-2 or something a few years ago and won the league, that's me clutching at straws.....

I can tbh. Easily. Going to put money on it too, the way Sunderland is being managed.
We aren't going down again. Our squad is by no means relegation bad and Grayson knows what he is doing. Short is looking to sell, he's not going to let us go down again and lose more money.
How do you feel about your chances now? First team in Football League history to now go 20 home games without a victory. That IS relegation form.

As for Coleman taking the job, I'm not sure I understand it at all. Leave a job where you are adored by your nation and lived the highs of a Euro semi final, to sign up to a poisoned chalice. I mean, fair play if he does a fine job and sorts the club out but can you really see that happening under the current set up of the club?
Our squad still isn't that bad and I'm confident about Coleman. I guess he feels he's taken Wales as far as he can go and he has quite a good club record so I'm happy with the appointment. He needs funds in January though and it might be worth looking for a new free goalie with us having Pinky and Perky.

fIsince08 said:
EUfkdup said:
fIsince08 said:
Jiggy said:
fIsince08 said:
Hughesy said:

Our squad still isn't that bad and I'm confident about Coleman. I guess he feels he's taken Wales as far as he can go and he has quite a good club record so I'm happy with the appointment. He needs funds in January though and it might be worth looking for a new free goalie with us having Pinky and Perky.

yeah I think that's the reason why he stepped down as Wales boss now as I don't think Wales would have been able to go any further than he's already taken them really they did well just to qualify for that tournament let alone get as far as they did in the Euro's. His experience in club management is limited though as he's only ever managed a couple of clubs I think since his playing retirement. Also sometimes managers prefer to deal with things on a day to day basis rather than just 3 days a month or so everytime a qualifying match comes round. It's probably a good job for Coleman as it gets him back into club management at a club that is struggling but given a chance he may know just how to change it's fortunes

If Coleman can’t save them, then there’s no hope for Sunderland. Imagine a team that big in league 1 though. 

He only really needs to sort the defence. Our scoring record is up there with the teams in the playoffs, just we've shipped way too many easy goals.

Hughesy said:
If Coleman can’t save them, then there’s no hope for Sunderland. Imagine a team that big in league 1 though. 
Been many teams of a similar size in League 1 recently. Leeds, Southampton, Leicester and Blackburn to name a few. Hell, even City were there not too long ago! 

Problem is, if the club is being run poorly, anything can actually happen. It may well be that Coleman works miracles there but with the amount of managers that have come and gone recently, there has to be a deeper lying problem somewhere.

Oh I’m not saying they are too big to go down, as nobody are too big or small to go up/down, hell we (Yeovil) got to the championship. I know all about a club being mismanaged, try being relegated in successive seasons and then only just avoiding three in a row....

Majorly surprised that Coleman actually risked his good name by stepping into a job like that. I would've stayed far away from Sunderland if I were him.

Jiggy said:
Majorly surprised that Coleman actually risked his good name by stepping into a job like that. I would've stayed far away from Sunderland if I were him.
What's he got to lose? If we go down it's Grayson/Short's fault. If he keeps us up and gets us up he's enhanced his reputation and will have a massive fanbase to praise him.

Absolutely cracking video of Coleman celebrating with the fans after our WIN today! This is what we want, a manager with passion who really cares and can actually manage a team! We've been missing it for a year and a half and it's good to have it back.

*EDIT*: Bad language in said video, don't turn it up if you have sensitive ears.
https://twitter.com/SunderlandAFC/status/934466944828411905

fIsince08 said:
Jiggy said:
What's he got to lose? If we go down it's Grayson/Short's fault. If he keeps us up and gets us up he's enhanced his reputation and will have a massive fanbase to praise him.
Knowing Sunderland, he'll probably get sacked for getting relegated anyway, meaning that officially he has the sacking and relegation with Sunderland to the 3rd-tier of English football on his CV. Chances of salvation at Sunderland is slim, it's an all-around mess and there are probably a great deal of English clubs in that league of similar stature who are stable enough to work towards something other than a Houdini-act.

Maybe even the Premier League if you can sell yourself well enough. This is basically becoming captain of a sinking ship while the ship is literally under cannonball-fire at the same time.

Speaking of Sunderland, I saw a tweet of a kid in the stands who was having a shit. Someone actually took a dump at the Stadium of Light. In the crowd. Took off his pants. And dropped a deuce.

Apparently he has serious issues and most likely needs massive help.

Jiggy said:
Speaking of Sunderland, I saw a tweet of a kid in the stands who was having a ****. Someone actually took a dump at the Stadium of Light. In the crowd. Took off his pants. And dropped a deuce.

Not entirely true, it was only a pee.

I couldn't make it to the toilets  :'(

fIsince08 said:
Jiggy said:
Speaking of Sunderland, I saw a tweet of a kid in the stands who was having a ****. Someone actually took a dump at the Stadium of Light. In the crowd. Took off his pants. And dropped a deuce.

Not entirely true, it was only a pee.

I couldn't make it to the toilets  :'(
Taking the piss a bit too literal mate

Lukedfrt said:
FA cup 3rd round draw later, i hope we get a good away day for once!
Burton Albion at home, that is possibly the most disappointing draw i can remember haha..

And we lost to Wolves last night.. Great :tired_face:

I absolutely adore this tackle from Lee Cattermole yesterday, 90th minute, ex Sunderland player starting a counter attack, thwack!
https://twitter.com/sunderlandred/status/955039146418032645

Wow we just demolished Coventry away, we won 6-2, they had the best defensive record in the league before this. We were 3-0 up after just 15 minutes.

lol who is that? Ruiter?                               

Jiggy said:
lol who is that? Ruiter?                               
Lee Tramp Camp. Ruiter was actually bearable on occasions and Steele has had 2 good games, can't name one for Camp.

Our CEO said selling Mannone for £2 million was good business. In reality it's relegated us.

I remember when Lee Camp was actually rated haha, playing for Forest. Think he got relegated with Rotherham last season? :lol:

I do feel for Sunderland, having been in a similar position for a number of years, to watch your club get destroyed is not something i would wish on any football fan.. Luckily Blues always just about seem to scrape through it!