Official Football Thread

Lukedfrt said:
I remember when Lee Camp was actually rated haha, playing for Forest. Think he got relegated with Rotherham last season? :lol:

I do feel for Sunderland, having been in a similar position for a number of years, to watch your club get destroyed is not something i would wish on any football fan.. Luckily Blues always just about seem to scrape through it!
You know, in all seriousness, I think our earlier constant survivals are partly to blame for the situation we're in. I think we'd have been better off going down earlier (eg under Advocaat) as we would've lost the 'that'll do' attitude.

The goalies are to blame this time though. A local newspaper reckons we've lost 31 points from goalkeeper errors alone, which would put us 10th and nearly double our points tally!

Once again.. We survived on the final day of the season! Ending Fulham's 23 game unbeaten run as well haha

I'm not a football fan, I've not watched a full game in years, but I watched the entirety of that Spain v Portugal match, and I was really entertained! Might watch a few more after that!

MBKF1 said:
I'm not a football fan, I've not watched a full game in years, but I watched the entirety of that Spain v Portugal match, and I was really entertained! Might watch a few more after that!
Football's like F1, you get some fantastic games like Spain v Portugal, then you get the Euros final 2 years ago which was as dull as the Canadian GP.

fIsince08 said:
MBKF1 said:
Football's like F1, you get some fantastic games like Spain v Portugal, then you get the Euros final 2 years ago which was as dull as the Canadian GP.
Yeah that's the problem with al sports though you get some exciting crackers like Bahrain was this year and the Spain one today and then you get boring ones like Monaco was which leave you thinking I've just wasted 2 hours of my life. But given World Cups only come around every 4 years they're worth watching. The first 2 today weren't that good but Spain and Portugal more than made up for it with their scrap.

Must admit that was bad refereeing today in England's game. We could and possibly should have had at least 2 penalties there especially as the one we gave away was the softest challenge o the lot. What's the point of this new VAR system if they don't act?

That first 30 minutes of football from England was sublime, Football is indeed coming home boys!

Lukedfrt said:
That first 30 minutes of football from England was sublime, Football is indeed coming home boys!
I wouldn't go that far yet we'v eall thought that before and we've only played 1 game thus far. If we can win a penalty shoot out or beat one of the faves for the tournament I might start believing but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves as aside from Belgium it's not exactly a difficult group.

Been quite the world cup I've noticed for Tottenham players either past or present  so far. Especially with both Modric and Eriksen scoring today as well. Must say it's kind of fun to see Argentina struggling for once too.

If I didn't know better I'd think I was watching a game of Fifa the way England played in that first half against Panama it was that good. We still need to do it against the better teams but it's a solid start we've made I knew Panama and Tunisia weren't a threat to us so the results don't surprise me. It's more a question of can we do this against Brazil or Germany for example if we play them. Because if we want to win this tournament we have to show we can do that. If we can beat Belgium in that final game that will be a good start towards proving it.

Massive improvement over recent tournaments already.. And i'm loving that Kane is banging the goals in, best striker in the world imo, and he's very humble from what i see.

Lukedfrt said:
Massive improvement over recent tournaments already.. And i'm loving that Kane is banging the goals in, best striker in the world imo, and he's very humble from what i see.

Yeah I'm just grateful he plays for my team atm. But the way he's banging them in makes me wonder whether someone like Real Madrid will make an outrageous bid and he'll be off like Bale was. If we want to be competitive at the top end of the table and regularly qualifying and doin gwell in compettions like the PL or Champoins league we need to hang on to players like that not selling them Hopefully once we've moved into our new stadium that'll convince good players to come to us so we can be competitive rather than us always selling them on.

Hopefullyt hat ref in that Portugal game gets sacked he turned it into a complete VAR (pun intended) :p

IT'S COMING HOME!!!!!

Hughesy said:
IT'S COMING HOME!!!!!

I wouldn't say that just yet. Argentina may have just sneaked over the line but teams like Argentina and Germany just seem to know how to do what they need to. So until we beat at least one of the favourites I'm not counting on anything. I've seen too much football to think anything like that at this stage. I hope we do win of course but I'm keeping my expectations low. Mainly because we've not taken on anything too tough yet

Well that's a turn up of the books Germany out at the group stages. Still need t ob cvoncerned about Argentina and Brazil but at least with the Germans gone that's one headache we won't have to worry about.

Last time England went  further than Germany in the world cup guess what happened? Yep it's coming home boys.

Hughesy said:
Last time England went  further than Germany in the world cup guess what happened? Yep it's coming home boys.
I'd say we've got a chance but I don't think we're there yet  as we still have Argentina and Brazil standing in our way. Not to mention Spain and Portugal as well. You can pick any omen you like but until we beat at least 1 of those big guns I'd still say it's not ours

Need more proof? In 66 Man City won the league, Burnley qualified for the European Cup, Real Madrid won the European championship and England won the World Cup.  B)

Hughesy said:
Need more proof? In 66 Man City won the league, Burnley qualified for the European Cup, Real Madrid won the European championship and England won the World Cup.  B)
And we just lost to Belgium if we can't even beat them then we have no chance. TBH we need to produce results against big teams before I'll believe we just haven't done it yet. I don't believe in omens just results because at the end of the day you don't win anything without good results. Which is something we didn't do today

fIsince08 said:
Hughesy said:
Yes with our B team mate.......

Against Belgium's B team...
Yeah as they were Belgium's B team as well if we want to prove we can win we need to prove we can beat teams like Belgium not lose to them. We're just lucky we had already secured our spot in the next round but a defeat is still a defeat and we can't afford that again because the next one will put us out. As far as I'm concerned we've not proven anything by losing that one if anything that defeat shows that to have the low expectations I've got is probably a good thing. I want us to win of course I'm just not expecting it.

fIsince08 said:
Hughesy said:
Yes with our B team mate.......

Against Belgium's B team...
Which means nothing, just that they have a slightly better B team...