Jump to content Jump to content

Official Football Thread

Keeps the wall where they should be with such a simple solution. Great addition, finally the rest of the world is catching up with North and South America.

There's actually a few things that MLS does that can help the game in Europe. They review games and hand retrospective punishments for offences that the officials missed for one.

Hughesy said:

Yes it is awesome, they've used it in USA for a while now. Yes there is a point to it as all teams try and creep forward and get away with it, so one more thing to help the ref  is a good thing imo. Wish they'd use it in all English leagues though.

they may well do in time I heard recently that the Italian League Serie A will be using it too so maybe eventually everyone will or at least in the leagues and competitions that can afford it.
So tbh, I'm happy with 28 million for a striker who was scared of some competition. Possibly rising to 30 plus if they win a trophy or qualify for CL. 28 million it is then. 

On another forum I was reading, someone made a good point, that generally we play 50 plus games a year, yet Lukaku wanted to leave last season after 4 games, because of  "a lack of playing time|, conveniently ignoring his shitty penalty v Bayern. If it was January and he wanted to leave then fair enough, but not after 2 weeks ffs. 

Still, it's a massive coup for Everton.  

I wouldn't pay 28 million for Lukaku if I was Everton. Not because he is bad, but 28 million could buy them 2 or 3 top players which could push them into the top 4 (maybe). I mean that's gotta be their entire transfer budget hasn't it? I dunno, Lukaku is quality but 28 million is a massive risk for Everton. 

There must have been other good strikers for that money, but then as with Luke Shaw, if you get 10-12 quality years out of him, 28 million doesn't seem that much. But then Man United can afford a gamble like that, Everton can't really afford to throw away 28 million

Lukaku won't stick around there for long, he's a bit of mercenary tbh. Even if he comes back to Chelsea which would be great, I can see him trying to force a move to someone like Dortmund in  a few years if he's still playing well enough to get them interested. 

But where the hell did Everton get that kind of money from?

Platy said:

Keeps the wall where they should be with such a simple solution. Great addition, finally the rest of the world is catching up with North and South America.

There's actually a few things that MLS does that can help the game in Europe. They review games and hand retrospective punishments for offences that the officials missed for one.

They're doing that in Belgium too, starting this season. I'm hoping it will be a major success myself.
EdMa said:

Lukaku won't stick around there for long, he's a bit of mercenary tbh. Even if he comes back to Chelsea which would be great, I can see him trying to force a move to someone like Dortmund in  a few years if he's still playing well enough to get them interested. 

But where the hell did Everton get that kind of money from?

Un-spent Fellaini-money, plus that new tv-deal giving them a helpful boost as well. As for whether Lukaku to Everton is a good move, I think it is. They have a 20yr-old who clearly isn't good enough yet for the toplevel, but who knows their system and is fresh off two seasons where he scored +15 goals. Top-4 is never going to happen for Everton, but they can build on a team that can get European football and do well in the Europa League and Barkley just signed a new contract as well. if Lukaku develops, they're going to make a profit, especially looking at recent transfer fees. Might end up being 50 million even.

Cant stand Arsenal fans on twitter. Claiming Lampard has zero loyalty for joining city on loan for a few months, whilst virtually their entire first team from a few years has left for rivals, and they get into a meltdown and burn the players shirts. Their complete fanbase is a joke tbh.

Just read this on Sky Sports Football commenting area

my utd brothers indeed we have suffered through a dark season, Darth Moyes nearly destroyed the empire but his destruction and choas was not allowed to persist and for this we must thank the glazer alliance for liberating us of that nightmare. Since the loss of King Sir Alexander Ferguson we have felt much dissapiontment, Shock and rage. but now it is over darth moyes is vanguished and the glazer alliance have put General Louis Van Gal on the throne. weather he can ascend to become a king time will tell but so far he has shown the courage, techtical awareness, strengh of mind, and ruthless honesty to ensure that our power will soon be remembered by the premeier league teams. A warning to utd rivals mock us if you wish, underestimate us if you dare. but fear us always you will because utd now have a real leader again and the broken sprit of a team of champions is no more there real ability will show the same ability that won them titles. utd are back and we have a trophy to retake.

AMS97KRR said:
Just read this on Sky Sports Football commenting area

my utd brothers indeed we have suffered through a dark season, Darth Moyes nearly destroyed the empire but his destruction and choas was not allowed to persist and for this we must thank the glazer alliance for liberating us of that nightmare. Since the loss of King Sir Alexander Ferguson we have felt much dissapiontment, Shock and rage. but now it is over darth moyes is vanguished and the glazer alliance have put General Louis Van Gal on the throne. weather he can ascend to become a king time will tell but so far he has shown the courage, techtical awareness, strengh of mind, and ruthless honesty to ensure that our power will soon be remembered by the premeier league teams. A warning to utd rivals mock us if you wish, underestimate us if you dare. but fear us always you will because utd now have a real leader again and the broken sprit of a team of champions is no more there real ability will show the same ability that won them titles. utd are back and we have a trophy to retake.

No doubt the idiot that wrote that was singing Moyes praises at the start of last season, claiming he was better than Wenger/Mourinho etc. 

However I do think United stand a very real chance of winning the league. In Van Gaal they have an authoritian who won't accept bullshit, already he's ordered their new 30 million pound signing to train on his own; and if he can get the 3-5-2 to work then they'll be scoring at will if RVP/Rooney/Mata are fit. However that system isn't so well suited to the PL as it's faster paced than compared to Italy etc, so they could be exposed a lot and their CB are quite frankly crap. 

But they have no other European commitments so from February onwards they'll have one game a week. The major factor Liverpool did so well bar Suarez is that they far far less games than City and especially Chelsea (20 games less). The title will be between Chelsea, City and United. Arsenal will be 4th as ever; and Liverpool will find out how hard it is to balance a squad every four to five days. 

I'm not sure how well 3 at the back will work, but pre-season suggests it is ok. I trust Van Gaal, if anyone can do it, he can.

Also yes, I think Liverpool will get a reality check next season. They'll see how much they relied on Suarez last season and I reckon they'll finish 5th or 6th and go out of Europe in the Knock-outs/Quarters. Arsenal will finish top 4 again, but I reckon it could be higher than 4th if their best players stay fit, they suffered a lot with that last season. Chelsea and City will be up there again.

Right now, as a United fan I'd expect a top 3 finish and 1 trophy, whatever it is I don't care, but we need to get back in the UCL.

What about City eh? Planning on buying players through Melbourne and NY and then loaning them out to City to stop the financial fairplay rules from having any effect...

It does suck like.

Rodwell. Good but injury prone, right?

EDIT: @AMS97KRR‌ 3-4-3 is a very attacking lineup, I'd presume he moves to 5-3-2 in defence mode?

With us, Poyet plays 4-1-4-1, 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 most of the time, but when we attack he normally presses the fullbacks forward and the defensive midfielder back to form 3-4-3. It would work well in a better team I think.

If we're desperate we have been known to play 2-6-2 (the cup final for example).