Jump to content Jump to content

Official Football Thread

fIsince08 said:
Who'll go first? Rodgers or Bruce?

Bruce most likely. Rodgers for the most part has done OK as Liverpool boss I think. He's just having a bit of a rough season this year I think everyone at Liverpool knew this year would be tougher anyway given they've got to juggle the Champion's League into their schedule too it's always tougher in those circumstances. This is just as much a learning experience for him as it is for his squad and he has had a good couple of seasons under his belt. Both of those seasons didn't have the headaches he's had to put up with this year.
You say that it is tougher with the UCL, but he knew that and should have bought the quality players he needed. Having 1 good/UCL standard striker is just stupid. Sturridge is good sure, but there are other issues that he has failed to address, much like Wenger. He lost Suarez and bought Balotelli + Lambert. Both of those players are 10 goals a season players (if that) and Suarez was probably 30 in his own. He bought Lovern, who ok had a good season and was looking good. Moreno is another buy where it was justified and he's also young.

What he needed to buy was a top class CB too though judging by what I've seen today and a goalscorer. Oh and a top CDM to replace Gerrard because he's past it. He ain't Giggs. 

Also - United have tons of injuries, something we thought we'd avoid by not playing UCL (I know the players get more rest and training without UCL but injuries are important too). And look where United are without any kind of solid defensive partnership. 3-0 today and that's without Di Maria, Falcao fully recovered, a Blind out, Rojo out, Smalling out, Rafael out and Herrera not starting. All of those players would walk into that Liverpool side, that's how much quality we're missing. Although Rafael and Smalling are a little inconsistent to be called quality, but still better than Evans and Tony V at CB and RB.

Rodgers doesn't really have an excuse, he knew what he was facing this year.
AMS97KRR said:
You say that it is tougher with the UCL, but he knew that and should have bought the quality players he needed. Having 1 good/UCL standard striker is just stupid. Sturridge is good sure, but there are other issues that he has failed to address, much like Wenger. He lost Suarez and bought Balotelli + Lambert. Both of those players are 10 goals a season players (if that) and Suarez was probably 30 in his own. He bought Lovern, who ok had a good season and was looking good. Moreno is another buy where it was justified and he's also young.

What he needed to buy was a top class CB too though judging by what I've seen today and a goalscorer. Oh and a top CDM to replace Gerrard because he's past it. He ain't Giggs. 

Also - United have tons of injuries, something we thought we'd avoid by not playing UCL (I know the players get more rest and training without UCL but injuries are important too). And look where United are without any kind of solid defensive partnership. 3-0 today and that's without Di Maria, Falcao fully recovered, a Blind out, Rojo out, Smalling out, Rafael out and Herrera not starting. All of those players would walk into that Liverpool side, that's how much quality we're missing. Although Rafael and Smalling are a little inconsistent to be called quality, but still better than Evans and Tony V at CB and RB.

Tbh thats a good assessment to a extent., but i feel he has earned a little slack for the amazing work he did over the last two years, this season is not great by any means. As for signing I feel he did ok, could of done better, I mean anyone who could get Balo for that amount of money is going to seriously think about it, it was a gamble but its not worked out so far, hes been a bit unucky and a bit of lazy idiot. As for lambert..... that signing just mystifies me, no where near good enough for the first team, hes a nice guy and positive in the dressing room but that dont win matches! -_-
Marko, lovern, moreno and manquillo all look good prospects, i feel the hard criticism they have gotten is unfair in their first season here as the more seasoned players have let them them down just as much.

Don't even get me started about Lallana I dont understand why he's always left out of the team, liverpool have only one good striker at the moment so why not play the 4-2-3-1 formation, Gerrard Henderson as deep midilders - Lallana Couthino Stirling as attacking midfilders with Balo or sturridge (if ever fit) up front? They say they lack the cutting edge to get the ball though to the striker but constantly play a style that lacks a central attacking playmaker and instead go for the slow passing game with three possession based mid-fielders which leaves only 3 main attacking players with no real support, 1 striker and two wide players. By the time the ball gets played up to the front the opposition team fallen back and created a road block.
I'ts just not good enough with only three attacking players, if there is a quick counter then the defenders just double up on the guy with the ball, there is always 4 against 3, you need that Attacking midfielder to be there so the defenders cant do that, they can't double up as they would leave big space for the fourth attacker. 

I do feel its all about that final ball, liverpool just fail at it atm and i think the formation that takes allen out of the team and puts Lallana/couthino in as a extra attacher is the solution.
AMS97KRR said:

in fairness though he probably thought Balotelli and Lambert would do better than they have though.Lambert was in what could be arguably called a weaker team (at the time) in Southampton and impressed. Also despite Balotelli's controversial nature he did do well at Man City so again  he thought it would work again here. It's just of a case of it hasn't bit like us and Soldado at the moment.

I wouldn't say Balotelli done well at Man city, he was very average. At City he got 30 goals in 80 games, and in total he's had 90 in 235. That is not even a goal every 2 games. Lambert last year got 14 in 39, not too bad considering his team was 8th but still average. Balotelli got 18 in 41 last year in a league that most would consider worse than England, Spain and Germany. His last City season saw him get just 3 in 20 games. 

Are either of those players really starting 11 players for a UCL and BPL campaign? Doubt it, at least not right now with Balotelli.  He isn't a Suarez, Falcao, RvP, Diego Costa type player. He might score a ridiculous goal every now and again and maybe a goal in an important cup match, but if you need a consistent scorer, he isn't really the guy looking at those stats. A goal every 2 games is a minimum for a striker in the top 4 of the BPL. I mean RvP last year got 18 in 28 (All competitions), in a season where he was supposed to have not been that good.