Sign in to follow this  

Come up with your own qualifying system

Since it now looks increasingly likely that we won't go back to the 2015 system - and even worse will make the elimination replacement even worse - I've created this thread for us to spread our own ideas.

Keep it serious and doable please  o:)

Mine:
Qualifying 1:
  1. All the drivers are permitted to go out on track in the 17-minute session.
  2. Each driver is given two sets of the softest compound tyre (that cannot be used in the race).
  3.  The slowest seven drivers (in a 22 car field) are eliminated after the 17 minutes elapse.
  4. Once the chequered flag falls, drivers may complete the lap that they are on.
  5.  The drivers eliminated in this session are given one set of dry tyres. The compound is of their choice.
Qualifying 2:
  1. The remaining fifteen drivers are permitted to go out on track in the 15-minute session.
  2. Each driver is given two sets of the softest compound tyre (that cannot be used in the race).
  3. The slowest seven drivers (in a 22 car field) are eliminated after the 15 minutes elapse.
  4. Once the chequered flag falls, drivers may complete the lap that they are on.
  5. The drivers eliminated in this session are given one set of dry tyres. The compound is of their choice.
Qualifying 3:
  1. Each driver gets one set of the softest compound tyre (that cannot be used in the race).
  2. The pit lane is open for 45 seconds at the start of the session.
  3.  The drivers are allowed to set one timed lap in this session, provided that they leave the pits before the pit lane closes.
Qualifying 4:
  1.  Each driver gets one set of the softest compound tyre (that cannot be used in the race).
  2. The pit lane is open for 30 seconds at the start of the session.
  3.  The drivers are allowed to set one timed lap in this session, provided that they leave the pits before the pit lane closes.
  4. The fastest lap time from either Q3 or Q4 will be used to determine the starting grid for the top 8 cars.

There's 1 hour, you've got 6 sets of very grippy qualifying only tyres which you hand back at the end, and which don't count towards your race count, but you must use all 6 sets. Parc Ferme rules do not apply until the session ends.

Simple, easy to understand, drivers will still be out in the last few moments because the track gets better and builds up the grip.

There's 1 hour, you've got 6 sets of very grippy qualifying only tyres which you hand back at the end, and which don't count towards your race count, but you must use all 6 sets. Parc Ferme rules do not apply until the session ends.

Simple, easy to understand, drivers will still be out in the last few moments because the track gets better and builds up the grip.
The funny thing is, this is actually a good idea. You won't have to worry about any of the silly tyre rules that carry over into the race, and you're pretty much guaranteed action throughout the hour as everyone will have to be out.

This would also vary a lot based on what circuits you go to. For example, at somewhere like Spa, it would realistically take around 6 minutes to do an out lap, flying lap and in lap, and you would probably need a couple of minutes to re-fuel and get your car ready for the next run, so that only allows you about 10 minutes or so for extra time working on the car.

Only thing is, what would happen in wet sessions? I guess not much would happen, apart from when the track is seemingly at its best.

But anyway, holy heck that system would actually be fantastic.

Sounds good, but what would the punishment be for not using all 6 sets and are there any exceptions (such as for crashes and breakdowns)?

I'd say possibly reduce it to half an hour and 3 sets in case of a wet session, otherwise an hour of nothingness until the last minutes will be boring.

1 hour session, 6 sets of tyres that have gone off the cliff and a bottle of vodka or two - Drivers have to get smashed and then set a lap whilst trying to avoid Maldonado in a monster truck. 

not bad I quite like the sound of that kind of reminiscent of the old 12 lap format F1 used to have.

fIsince08 said:

Sounds good, but what would the punishment be for not using all 6 sets and are there any exceptions (such as for crashes and breakdowns)?

I'd say possibly reduce it to half an hour and 3 sets in case of a wet session, otherwise an hour of nothingness until the last minutes will be boring.
The punishment could be that any sets you didn't use would have to be used for at least one stint in the race. And with crashes or retirements, if your car is unable to continue for any reason then that's punishment enough, your last time stands as your quali time, no in race tyre penalty.

I'm pretty sure the idea of having of having to run a set of tyres which are only good for a lap or 2 in the race would be enough to get all cars out on track ;) The other thing, as Matt pointed out, with 6 sets over 60 minutes you've got about 10 mins per set of tyres right? Enough time to outlap, hotlap, inlap, make some settings changes, out you go again. With the way not every team does everything the same there'd likely to be cars on track for the majority of the session. We could even up the ante and make it 7 sets ;) About 8 minutes 57 seconds per set of tyres.

I literally came up with it as I was typing my first message lol, so it's rough around the edges, but it always seems to me that simple answers are what F1 needs at the moment, not anything too complicated.

Standard Q1 and Q2 with the top 8 drivers doing a single lap shootout one after each other going from slowest in Q2 to fastest. Problem solved... what's next?

I think the 2015 system is good but with dedicated tires. Tires that are fast and grippy. Each team gets say two sets good for two or three runs each session. Tires used in qualifying have no impact one race sets. 

Drivers have to qualify on the latest F1 game using a dodgy controller.

1 hour. Quali-tyres. As in good quali tyres, none of that low-grip, quick wear down bullshit. Drivers required to post a time every 10 minutes.

If only we had a system that was exciting and the fans liked. Perhaps something like a three part qualifying where the slowest 7 drivers get knocked out in qualifying 1, the next 7 slowest get knocked out in qualifying 2 and the top 10 then had a shootout in qualifying 3 to decide the top positions. That might work. 

VetteIfan said:
If only we had a system that was exciting and the fans liked. Perhaps something like a three part qualifying where the slowest 7 drivers get knocked out in qualifying 1, the next 7 slowest get knocked out in qualifying 2 and the top 10 then had a shootout in qualifying 3 to decide the top positions. That might work. 

This. The 2015 format was great. If something should change that's the rules regarding the tyres like the top-10-should-start-on-their-Q2-tyre one. And like Chadwick said, quali tyres shouldn't have an impact race tyres.

There's more chance of me going to the moon than this happening, but if there isn't a return to the old qualifying, as the teams and fans want, then I sincerely hope the teams boycott Qualifying and just use the FP3 results for the grid. FIA/Bernie would then finally realise that they're acting like annoying little brats, and that the teams really do have a lot of power.

Lets have a reverse grid where the top 10 starts from the back and have to navigate the slower cars lol