DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×
GRID Season 3 - Coming April 15th Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

AUTOSPORT - CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK FOR LOORE and CM

I may be a little off-base on this one given my overall amount race-time to this point, but it feels like drafting behind other cars in a straight line has relatively little if any noticeable impact. I understand there are a number of factors that determine the noticeability of this phenomenon...but I rountinely hit the apex of a corner at max speed as does the AI car ahead of me...and leading in to a stretch of straight track the fact that I am in their slipstream appears to have minimal if any impact. I have been racing Touring cars mainly, and so given they are more-or-less 'evenly' tuned provides a good baseline for this slip-stream (or lack thereof) theory. I notice in other racing titles the effect is more pronounced. Seems sometimes like the only way to pass cars is in a corner, be it late braking or smashing in to the AI. Clean and precise driving and drafting techniques rarely offer the same efficacy of passing cars as do the 'dirty' techniques! lol

Oddly enough I remember this being the case in the original Grid as well.

In real life the slipstream effect is very effective at assisting in acceleration and passing prowess - as it obviously greatly reduces engine load and aerodynamic limitations...at the risk of over-exaggerating the effect - I would like to see it a little more pronounced in the game...

Just my ¢.02

More cash and XP in online. Also the lvl up system for the cars should save even if you sell it and buy it again.

Fairer AI - please, please PLEASE.. :-)

It is great that the AI has an aggressive personality but it breaks immersion to be repeated shunted off the track rather than being able to trade paint. I don't want to repeatedly rewind to reset my hard won position - that is not racing. 

As in previous Grid games, my car feels feather light and they are solid and immovable. I ferevently wish you would dial this back a little in the interests of better gameplay. I don't often race online so the AI really matters.

Such a shame as the handling is now so much better than the previous game.   I would be very interested to know why your team decided to make the AI coding the way it is.

Apart from that - thanks - the best game in years from you.

I may be a little off-base on this one given my overall amount race-time to this point, but it feels like drafting behind other cars in a straight line has relatively little if any noticeable impact. I understand there are a number of factors that determine the noticeability of this phenomenon...but I rountinely hit the apex of a corner at max speed as does the AI car ahead of me...and leading in to a stretch of straight track the fact that I am in their slipstream appears to have minimal if any impact. I have been racing Touring cars mainly, and so given they are more-or-less 'evenly' tuned provides a good baseline for this slip-stream (or lack thereof) theory. I notice in other racing titles the effect is more pronounced. Seems sometimes like the only way to pass cars is in a corner, be it late braking or smashing in to the AI. Clean and precise driving and drafting techniques rarely offer the same efficacy of passing cars as do the 'dirty' techniques! lol

Oddly enough I remember this being the case in the original Grid as well.

In real life the slipstream effect is very effective at assisting in acceleration and passing prowess - as it obviously greatly reduces engine load and aerodynamic limitations...at the risk of over-exaggerating the effect - I would like to see it a little more pronounced in the game...

Just my ¢.02

What? Naaah, GRID1 was horrible in that term. The slipstream was so extreme, that online, when a small group of people were having a 2 seconds gap and you were alone, you weren't able to catch them anymore. We did laptimes that were 2-3 seconds faster than driving alone. That wasn't realistic and it ruined the game.

Regarding online now, you definately have slipstream, but it is weak and that is good. It makes it harder for the top groups to depart from the rest.

Offline feels a bit weird, right. But more like they have simply better cars, but aren't able to drive them as good as you might. That would explain, why slipstream feels non existant there.

GRID Autosport is, for me pretty much what I was hoping GRID 2 would be. It's a vast improvement but no pitstops in endurance races is very disappointing, especially since they were in ToCA 1, 2 and 3,

Photonik said:
Offline feels a bit weird, right. But more like they have simply better cars, but aren't able to drive them as good as you might. That would explain, why slipstream feels non existant there.

Agreed...I have yet to try the online portion of the game, my commentary was based strictly on the career mode.

Until I have tried the online I will not know for certain but I will take your word at it.

Photonik said:

Agreed...I have yet to try the online portion of the game, my commentary was based strictly on the career mode.

Until I have tried the online I will not know for certain but I will take your word at it.

Try using the ariel atom openwheeler on a long track like spa. The straight gives you time to get behind and see whether the tow is working. On this car it seems quite a lot, although I agree on others it can feel virtually non existent.

dirt3joe said:
Photonik said:

Try using the ariel atom openwheeler on a long track like spa. The straight gives you time to get behind and see whether the tow is working. On this car it seems quite a lot, although I agree on others it can feel virtually non existent.

Slipstream is strongest in open-wheel cars.

It's there in every other discipline but much, much weaker. It's not noticeable at all unless you get up near top speed.

I always get caught out by the slipsteam in open-wheelers lol. End up going too fast into a corner because I'm not used to suddenly hitting 160mph+ in a dallara..

Last time I heard he was working on tha recent NFS for EA :D