Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why no rewinds (Just curious)

My friends been telling me about the game, since I've been holding off on getting it while waiting to see if the CSR is going to work right or not on Ps4 (Most are saying not). And one of his complaints is no rewinds. 

I know the classic argument "Its a sim!" But is there a technical reason behind this? Or was it just catering to the elitist that can't help but use something even if they hate it if its available?  I don't much care one way or the other with this game (I typically like to have it for when the AI does something incredibly stupid, but you're alone on track 99% of the time in rally so, whatever lol) But I do hope it remains in the F1 games (due to the aforementioned AI). It would suck for it to not be in F1. F1 2012 would have been a completely trash game without rewinds with all it's random issues and absurd penalties you got for the AI hitting you, yet I enjoyed that game quite a bit because when something blatantly BS happened I was able to rewind and avoid it(usually).

It also helps when you don't have time (due to work, school, whatever) to sit there and practice constantly. Nothing worse than running short on time and wrecking right near the end and being forced to restart when you don't have time to run again lol. Actually, that brings up a question, can you DNF in this game and move on to the next event? Or do you have to restart? I never considered that til I was typing this.

Above all else, I'm mostly just curious why codemasters, the company that brought us rewinds lol, has done away with them.

If you're going to go on about realism and such, then don't bother because that's a terrible reason lol. It's still a video game at the end of the day.

Anyway, thanks for any legitimate answers.

Because it has no place in the game.

Previous DiRT & GRID titles are arcade oriented, so rewind makes sense in those. Dirt Rally is not arcade oriented, therefore there's no rewind, and luckily there never will be. People will have to get good the old fashioned way - by putting endless amount of hours in. I personally have 1157 hours played, and I'm still learning things.

What Porky said.  Personally I grew up on racing games, even arcade, or sims that never had a rewind function.  If you screw up a corner, learn from it, try again, do better.  The younger generation and their need for instant gratification for everything and winning even if you suck sickens me.  This isn't that type of game and I hope they never bring that back. 

Stop being a baby boy and try to learn from your mistakes, instead of masking them with a rewind function. 

It's a design decision. It emphasizes the endurance aspect of rallying, and encourage the "press on regardless" mentality of rally crews. As one of the tutorial videos explains, you'll want to be driving at 9/10ths like a rally driver to prevent those big wrecks—know when to push and when to be conservative. But if you have a big off, keep going. The AI are prone to accidents and mechanical failures too, so it's all in the spirit of rallying. You can retire too if you want and get a DNF, just be careful with that because too few championship points could see you relegated to a lower difficulty,

A good argument for both sides... the people that want to enjoy some really good racing but would like to win at least once in a sitting!

and the other side, the people that spend hours and hours with one car and one track to get it right...

In the end it's the developers choice and they chose the later... I already bought it so they have my money... how long will I play it?  depends if I can actually win a race in the foreseeable future...

Give the dog a bone... or teach him how to hunt...

The game is hard but it's serving an audience that has been asking for this for ages, now we have it, are we ready? (PS4 version)

likewise said:

I already bought it so they have my money... how long will I play it?  depends if I can actually win a race in the foreseeable future...

When I first played it almost a year ago, maybe 1 in 10 races I got to the end without a major accident. After playing DiRT 3 and being somewhat good at it, it wasn't very nice feeling like a noob again. But once you get past the point of crashing all the time and can do a clean run, it's gonna go up from there. Your times will slowly improve the more you drive. 

The more you drive, the more you throw that novice feeling of wanting to rewind back out of the window. The game actually allows you to tweak each car with different setups which exhorts you to be more precise and agile.

The rewind function is outdated and silly; it kills the game.

Because winning a stage without ever having to practice and learn in a game is boring, I need to feel challenged in order to get somewhere, you want rewind? Play Dirt 3, this is Dirt Rally (it's not the same franchise and not the same game, it's a spin-off to create a more realistic approach to rally).

Practice makes perfect, get used to it or move on to an arcade game.

This guy had no rewinds in the Circuit of Ireland shakedown yesterday either.... 

https://twitter.com/FIAERC/status/717999930812575744

No technical reason, just no hand holding.

That said, some people can't quite grasp the idea of flashbacks as just another learning tool in their own right, letting your practice a specific corner or section you might be having trouble with again and again, like real F1 drivers do in their own multi-million dollar sims, without doing an entire stage, but there you go.
Practice makes perfect, but only a very specific pre-approved type of practice. Obviously.
And insulting the concept and people that might make use of it is also the way to go. Obviously.

If you're going to go on about realism and such, then don't bother because that's a terrible reason lol. It's still a video game at the end of the day.
But it is because of realism... what else did you want to read/hear? Sure, it's a video game, but it's a simulation. Why bother leaning towards simulation with challenging gameplay if it's going to be counteracted by rewind? 

I'll say to you what I've said to loads of other newbies, mainly coming from console (unsurprisingly)...

This game has been out for around a year now, starting from Early Access. There has been plenty of time to research. 

It seems as though certain people (not necessarily singling you or your friend out) seem to think that just because one or two features aren't to their liking, then they're entitled to force the developer into making a change to suit their own personal needs, or to an extreme demand a refund if it does go unchanged. 

There's nothing elitist about it. 
As I've said in another thread similar to this one, it's like buying Dark Souls and complaining that you can't save your progress whenever you want. 

Games can be intentionally hard, and don't have to cater for people wanting a casual experience. Old NES platform games were very hard, but people didn't complain back then because there wasn't as much derp hand-holding.

Anyway, thanks for any legitimate answers.

You're welcome.

At least once a rally there is a moment where you'll think "should I go for it?", maybe going flat off a big jump or trying to cut on a 2. The rewinds make this decision easy, whereas deciding if you'll go for it without rewinds makes it a lot more interesting. The thrill of pushing yourself and succeeding is diminished by each safety net. No rewinds makes for a much more visceral experience, trust me you'll like it more.

It's not about realism. It's more about taking the racing seriously.

Racing games difficulty is getting so easy that it's boring. Motorsport is getting less & less popular. Sportsmanship in general is getting worst on new games that some actually wake up & see there's a problem there.

I'm mostly just curious why codemasters, the company that brought us rewinds lol, has done away with them.
Because we, the forum regulars, asked them to take it out when they asked us what we wanted from a new DiRT game

If you don't want to hear that it is because of realism I won't say it. In fact, it is not realistic when you fly like crazy over the finish line regardless of what can happen. There is a stop finish couple of hundreds of meters later IRL. The car has to be in one piece.
The reason for lack of rewind function is endurance, the essence of rallying. You have to start carefully to nurse your car to the finish, but you will build up your confidence in the car in the process and speed up along the way. Forgiving damage model will help you in this. You are very unlikely to total your vehicle unless you drive like a lunatic and don't listen to your co-driver. Good luck!

Because it has no place in the game.

Previous DiRT & GRID titles are arcade oriented, so rewind makes sense in those. Dirt Rally is not arcade oriented, therefore there's no rewind, and luckily there never will be. People will have to get good the old fashioned way - by putting endless amount of hours in. I personally have 1157 hours played, and I'm still learning things.
Some people have a life outside of video games that don't allow them to get 1157 hours played in the course of around a year.griev0r said:
What Porky said.  Personally I grew up on racing games, even arcade, or sims that never had a rewind function.  If you screw up a corner, learn from it, try again, do better.  The younger generation and their need for instant gratification for everything and winning even if you suck sickens me.  This isn't that type of game and I hope they never bring that back. 

Stop being a baby boy and try to learn from your mistakes, instead of masking them with a rewind function. 
That's how games were back in the day, but it's 2016 now, not 1996. But thanks for proving my point about elitist. Some people don't want to sit around losing constantly and don't have time to run an entire course over and over to learn one corner they're messing up on (Although, what I used to do in the 90s was drive backwards and redo the corner lol, a lot of games these days like to auto-reset or DQ you if you drive backwards though)

I hope you don't use any assist at all, on any racing game, otherwise you're a complete hypocrite.tbtstt said:
Why no rewind feature in DR? 

BECAUSE REAL RALLY.
Except its not, it's pixels on a screen.Spokster said:
Because winning a stage without ever having to practice and learn in a game is boring, I need to feel challenged in order to get somewhere, you want rewind? Play Dirt 3, this is Dirt Rally (it's not the same franchise and not the same game, it's a spin-off to create a more realistic approach to rally).

Practice makes perfect, get used to it or move on to an arcade game.
Perhaps to you. Not everyone is you though. The old "Don't like this play the old one" I hope they release DR2 with rewinds and 2x the rally content, just so I can say that to you lol.

KevM
said:
This guy had no rewinds in the Circuit of Ireland shakedown yesterday either.... 

https://twitter.com/FIAERC/status/717999930812575744

This guy did.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A9laDE8CYAAwyoL.jpg 

Bored of these tired elitist comments now on to legitimate ones.

dwkGravey said:
It's a design decision. It emphasizes the endurance aspect of rallying, and encourage the "press on regardless" mentality of rally crews. As one of the tutorial videos explains, you'll want to be driving at 9/10ths like a rally driver to prevent those big wrecks—know when to push and when to be conservative. But if you have a big off, keep going. The AI are prone to accidents and mechanical failures too, so it's all in the spirit of rallying. You can retire too if you want and get a DNF, just be careful with that because too few championship points could see you relegated to a lower difficulty,
This was the first legitimate answer in the thread. And makes sense. I'll be fine with that. But I know many won't be still. As I've gotten older (30 now) I actually prefer to lose sometimes lol (That sounds terrible as I say it out loud lmao) but if I can win every championship without a challenge, then it's simply not going to keep my interest. I still hope they don't bow to elitist with F1 2016, because getting cheated by dumb AI still kills my enjoyment of a game and causes me to run shorter races due to my lack of time to waste.

likewise said:

A good argument for both sides... the people that want to enjoy some really good racing but would like to win at least once in a sitting!

and the other side, the people that spend hours and hours with one car and one track to get it right...

In the end it's the developers choice and they chose the later... I already bought it so they have my money... how long will I play it?  depends if I can actually win a race in the foreseeable future...

Give the dog a bone... or teach him how to hunt...

The game is hard but it's serving an audience that has been asking for this for ages, now we have it, are we ready? (PS4 version)

That's the problem I see, and most elitist don't. Fact is, a game needs sales to continue to be made. And if all you pander too is elitist who want options removed for other people, that would literally not effect them at all, you're not going to get big sales numbers. My friend already has decided to take it back. So I'm probably just going to get it on PC (only reason I was going to get the Ps4 version was so I would be able to play with him). And it's because he doesn't have the same amount of time to spend on the game as the elitist do, he'll be lucky to get 100 hours into the game in a years time. And he doesn't want to sit there losing constantly, and I can't blame him.

BrySkye said:
No technical reason, just no hand holding.

That said, some people can't quite grasp the idea of flashbacks as just another learning tool in their own right, letting your practice a specific corner or section you might be having trouble with again and again, like real F1 drivers do in their own multi-million dollar sims, without doing an entire stage, but there you go.
Practice makes perfect, but only a very specific pre-approved type of practice. Obviously.
And insulting the concept and people that might make use of it is also the way to go. Obviously.

lol, Ah yes. Hopefully with Dirt Rally 2, you'll need at least a $25,000+ set up to enter a race. It's unrealistic to be able to race for only a few hundred and compete at top levels. Also, hopefully F1 2016 cost millions, realism and all :P

Hopefully anyone who's against rewinds doesn't use TCS, STM, Auto gearbox, or any other assist. Because realism. Other wise they are a hypocrite like no other. (Btw, you all could have simply turned rewinds off in Dirt 3 and any other game that had them, so the argument is in fact, exactly the same)

I'm still going to get the game, but I guess I better try to convince some friends to actually care about forums before F1 2016 comes out so the elitists don't get there way and kill that franchise off lol. Dirt I think will survive fine, due to rally being more niche and not having dumb AI to worry about, not so sure about F1.

Anyway, At least there was a few legitimate answers (these are not the only ones, I am just bored now and don't feel like typing any more lol). 

You were curious, most of us gave you a polite answer... and you call us elitists.

kay
Call it as I see it. The one guy right below you literally insinuated that only kids want rewinds. When ironically, I prefer the availability of rewinds now and was fine without them when I was a kid, because I had way more time to game back then.

You say there luckily never will be, that's an elitist remark, period. Because at the end of the day, they'd only help people who aren't as good as you, or have as much time. And it will have 0 effect on you if they were in the game. Nothing more elitist than that.

BUT - It wont happen.  

If you make a Balls, Restart the Stage and learn not to make a Balls next time

KevM said:
BUT - It wont happen.  

If you make a Balls, Restart the Stage and learn not to make a Balls next time
You're missing the point entirely lol.

You were curious, most of us gave you a polite answer... and you call us elitists.

kay
Call it as I see it. The one guy right below you literally insinuated that only kids want rewinds. When ironically, I prefer the availability of rewinds now and was fine without them when I was a kid, because I had way more time to game back then.

You say there luckily never will be, that's an elitist remark, period. Because at the end of the day, they'd only help people who aren't as good as you, or have as much time. And it will have 0 effect on you if they were in the game. Nothing more elitist than that.
That's a very elitist thing to say, stop being so elitist.