Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why no rewinds (Just curious)

I'm confused...

The thread topic asked "why no rewinds?"

The answer "it was a design decision, not to hand hold and encourage you to press on regardless"

Simple question, simple answer. So how has this crap made 2 pages? Does it actually matter who wants rewinds and who doesn't?

At this point, the thread has just turned into a big pissing contest, but hey! whatever... Carry on.

Evilsmurf said:

I'm confused...

The thread topic asked "why no rewinds?"

The answer "it was a design decision, not to hand hold and encourage you to press on regardless"

Simple question, simple answer. So how has this crap made 2 pages? Does it actually matter who wants rewinds and who doesn't?

At this point, the thread has just turned into a big pissing contest, but hey! whatever... Carry on.

Tends to happen when people want things to be harder for other people, even if it would literally have no effect on them lol. Then they call other people kids, epic irony lol.

I'm going to be picking it up on PC soon, my friend just traded the game before I had a chance to tell him my wheel did work on Ps4. Wish I'd bought it when it was around $41 on steam sale/pre-release now lol. I wonder how long it'll be before it goes on sale again.

I'm going to be picking it up on PC soon, my friend just traded the game before I had a chance to tell him my wheel did work on Ps4. Wish I'd bought it when it was around $41 on steam sale/pre-release now lol. I wonder how long it'll be before it goes on sale again.
I hope you enjoy the game and spend many hours on it. It is well worth it.

You were curious, most of us gave you a polite answer... and you call us elitists.

kay
Call it as I see it. The one guy right below you literally insinuated that only kids want rewinds. When ironically, I prefer the availability of rewinds now and was fine without them when I was a kid, because I had way more time to game back then.

You say there luckily never will be, that's an elitist remark, period. Because at the end of the day, they'd only help people who aren't as good as you, or have as much time. And it will have 0 effect on you if they were in the game. Nothing more elitist than that.
That's a very elitist thing to say, stop being so elitist.
Clearly you don't know what the word means when it comes to games. But hey, whatever. At least someone else doing something that doesn't  effect your game in the slightest, can't ruin your game for you lol.

I hope you enjoy the game and spend many hours on it. It is well worth it.
I hope so too lol.

Well, I've gotten the answers I need. So I'm done with this thread.  No hard feelings even with you elitist :P Take care and enjoy the races all.

Here's where my avatar comes from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufyCX1ySE6w

Press on regardless!

You were curious, most of us gave you a polite answer... and you call us elitists.

kay
Call it as I see it. The one guy right below you literally insinuated that only kids want rewinds. When ironically, I prefer the availability of rewinds now and was fine without them when I was a kid, because I had way more time to game back then.

You say there luckily never will be, that's an elitist remark, period. Because at the end of the day, they'd only help people who aren't as good as you, or have as much time. And it will have 0 effect on you if they were in the game. Nothing more elitist than that.
That's a very elitist thing to say, stop being so elitist.
Clearly you don't know what the word means when it comes to games. But hey, whatever. At least someone else doing something that doesn't  effect your game in the slightest, can't ruin your game for you lol.
This was an elitist joke that you may use in future topics with my blessing.

KevM said:
BUT - It wont happen.  

If you make a Balls, Restart the Stage and learn not to make a Balls next time
You're missing the point entirely lol.
No, I think you're missing the point. 

DR doesn't have rewind because it's not that type of game.

When I make coffee, my kettle doesn't double as a coffee machine. If I wanted that to happen, I'd buy a Nespresso machine. My kettle was made for it's own purposes. 

If you want rewinds, don't buy or play DiRT Rally, and it's as simple as that. If you want a feature so badly, go play something that has it. 
If you're ever in doubt, just re-read my coffee analogy.

I am poor but I hate to be an elitist because it rewinds me back to being poor. See rewind should work this way not in rallying :)

Just bought it on PC, and wow lol. It is a bit of a shock to the system so to speak :P It's also the first game I've bought on my PC that sent its fans into over drive while playin on Ultra settings. I'll post the vid of me failing on my first run once it's done uploading lol.

I need to tweak a few things (FFB, brake sensitivity, steering, etc) before I really dive in. But from that bit of testing, I feel like this is going to be my favorite rally game in ages.

thecraicbear said:
KevM said:
BUT - It wont happen.  

When I make coffee, my kettle doesn't double as a coffee machine. If I wanted that to happen, I'd buy a Nespresso machine. My kettle was made for it's own purposes. 

If you want rewinds, don't buy or play DiRT Rally, and it's as simple as that. If you want a feature so badly, go play something that has it. 
I should ignore this lol, but that attitude is a good example of the toxic attitude people hate about elitist. Having rewind in this game would literally change NOTHING for those who don't want to use it. Also, if people don't buy it, then you don't get Dirt Rally 2. Which based on the race I just did, sounds terrible to me.

In short, more options to allow more people to enjoy the game = good. Less options to suit people who can't control their own actions = bad

http://plays.tv/video/5706aa1ea5f10e4fef/first-attempt-at-dirt-rally

First 50 seconds or so is me fiddling with settings, can skip that. Didn't realize I forgot to cut that out lol.

Just bought it on PC, and wow lol. It is a bit of a shock to the system so to speak :P It's also the first game I've bought on my PC that sent its fans into over drive while playin on Ultra settings. I'll post the vid of me failing on my first run once it's done uploading lol.

I need to tweak a few things (FFB, brake sensitivity, steering, etc) before I really dive in. But from that bit of testing, I feel like this is going to be my favorite rally game in ages.

thecraicbear said:
KevM said:
BUT - It wont happen.  

I should ignore this lol, but that attitude is a good example of the toxic attitude people hate about elitist. Having rewind in this game would literally change NOTHING for those who don't want to use it. Also, if people don't buy it, then you don't get Dirt Rally 2. Which based on the race I just did, sounds terrible to me.

In short, more options to allow more people to enjoy the game = good. Less options to suit people who can't control their own actions = bad

This topic should probably die, but I need to point one thing out here. Everything takes time in game development. So when they chose to not do rewinds they allocated that time to somewhere else. 
People think about it differently, but there is no simcade game with rewinds, why should this game have them. You learn stage better when it's bit more punishing to fail, or at least that's usually mindset with people that like more realistic gameplay.

From your latest comments, did you get satisfied with what the game offers you now? The thread needs to be locked now. :)

Kakkela said:
People think about it differently, but there is no simcade game with rewinds,
Forza has them, and I think they're a great idea there, for the reasons @BrySkye mentioned earlier:
the idea of flashbacks as just another learning tool in their own right, letting your practice a specific corner or section you might be having trouble with again and again, like real F1 drivers do in their own multi-million dollar sims, without doing an entire stage
I know I really appreciated rewinds there (combined with Fourza's technique ratings) to practice braking points and lines without having to lap the circuit first. On the other hand I've turned them off in Grid Autosport because I want that live-with-your-mistakes experience of competing in a championship, so every season point counts. Swings and roundabouts.

I really like the way Codemasters made this game. No rewinds tells me they care for realism and real life rally! This game is iconic! And I really hate rewinds to be honest. Never used them in other racing games..

dwkGravey said:
It's a design decision. It emphasizes the endurance aspect of rallying, and encourage the "press on regardless" mentality of rally crews. As one of the tutorial videos explains, you'll want to be driving at 9/10ths like a rally driver to prevent those big wrecks—know when to push and when to be conservative. But if you have a big off, keep going. The AI are prone to accidents and mechanical failures too, so it's all in the spirit of rallying. You can retire too if you want and get a DNF, just be careful with that because too few championship points could see you relegated to a lower difficulty,
This was the first legitimate answer in the thread. And makes sense. I'll be fine with that. But I know many won't be still. As I've gotten older (30 now) I actually prefer to lose sometimes lol (That sounds terrible as I say it out loud lmao) but if I can win every championship without a challenge, then it's simply not going to keep my interest. I still hope they don't bow to elitist with F1 2016, because getting cheated by dumb AI still kills my enjoyment of a game and causes me to run shorter races due to my lack of time to waste.

likewise said:

A good argument for both sides... the people that want to enjoy some really good racing but would like to win at least once in a sitting!

and the other side, the people that spend hours and hours with one car and one track to get it right...

In the end it's the developers choice and they chose the later... I already bought it so they have my money... how long will I play it?  depends if I can actually win a race in the foreseeable future...

Give the dog a bone... or teach him how to hunt...

The game is hard but it's serving an audience that has been asking for this for ages, now we have it, are we ready? (PS4 version)

That's the problem I see, and most elitist don't. Fact is, a game needs sales to continue to be made. And if all you pander too is elitist who want options removed for other people, that would literally not effect them at all, you're not going to get big sales numbers. My friend already has decided to take it back. So I'm probably just going to get it on PC (only reason I was going to get the Ps4 version was so I would be able to play with him). And it's because he doesn't have the same amount of time to spend on the game as the elitist do, he'll be lucky to get 100 hours into the game in a years time. And he doesn't want to sit there losing constantly, and I can't blame him.

BrySkye said:
No technical reason, just no hand holding.

That said, some people can't quite grasp the idea of flashbacks as just another learning tool in their own right, letting your practice a specific corner or section you might be having trouble with again and again, like real F1 drivers do in their own multi-million dollar sims, without doing an entire stage, but there you go.
Practice makes perfect, but only a very specific pre-approved type of practice. Obviously.
And insulting the concept and people that might make use of it is also the way to go. Obviously.

lol, Ah yes. Hopefully with Dirt Rally 2, you'll need at least a $25,000+ set up to enter a race. It's unrealistic to be able to race for only a few hundred and compete at top levels. Also, hopefully F1 2016 cost millions, realism and all :P

Hopefully anyone who's against rewinds doesn't use TCS, STM, Auto gearbox, or any other assist. Because realism. Other wise they are a hypocrite like no other. (Btw, you all could have simply turned rewinds off in Dirt 3 and any other game that had them, so the argument is in fact, exactly the same)

I'm still going to get the game, but I guess I better try to convince some friends to actually care about forums before F1 2016 comes out so the elitists don't get there way and kill that franchise off lol. Dirt I think will survive fine, due to rally being more niche and not having dumb AI to worry about, not so sure about F1.

Anyway, At least there was a few legitimate answers (these are not the only ones, I am just bored now and don't feel like typing any more lol). 

Upset much?

It sounds like you should get Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo.
It has rewinds. Nine of them.
But the game is very elitist...an average of  max 40 people play it on daily basis.

Kakkela said:

thecraicbear said:
KevM said:
BUT - It wont happen.  

This topic should probably die, but I need to point one thing out here. Everything takes time in game development. So when they chose to not do rewinds they allocated that time to somewhere else. 
People think about it differently, but there is no simcade game with rewinds, why should this game have them. You learn stage better when it's bit more punishing to fail, or at least that's usually mindset with people that like more realistic gameplay.
I just don't want the game to not do well because it caters to hard core of a crowd exclusively.

does real life has rewinds?  :*

• Body is 12 characters too short.
Does real life has pixels? :* lol.

Anyway, this game is awesome lol. A shame my friend decided to return it, but at the same time I'm almost glad he did. My PC has been needing something to push it a bit (been playing mostly RTS and things that aren't graphics intensive since I got it, (R9 390 8gb, 4790k, 16gb ram) and it looks really good on ultra. lol.

This is also the first rally game of all time that I've been better on asphalt than any other so far lol. Usually I suck on asphalt in every rally game I've ever played (going back as far as even rally sport challenge I sucked on asphalt lol)

http://plays.tv/video/5706d9a97de92e3fd1/getting-bit-better-turns-out-am-actually-good-on-asphault-in-rally-game-thats-never-happened-before-lol

I finished 16th in round 2 due to technical issues lol. Loving it so far though. My biggest problem leading up to this was getting used to the callouts again. I kept misjudging turns and since I'm used to ignoring people talking (people have a bad habit of that in the leagues I run on Pcars, and even on Iracing), its been an interesting challenge re-learning to pay attention to him lol

And yeah, thread can be locked any time now lol. I got the answers I required and even got to argue with people to pass some time :P

Spokster said:
Because winning a stage without ever having to practice and learn in a game is boring, I need to feel challenged in order to get somewhere, you want rewind? Play Dirt 3, this is Dirt Rally (it's not the same franchise and not the same game, it's a spin-off to create a more realistic approach to rally).

Practice makes perfect, get used to it or move on to an arcade game.
Pls, not the same game, but has the same name? Should have changed the name entirely if they are just going to go do whatever with it. 

BreakdowN said:
Spokster said:
Because winning a stage without ever having to practice and learn in a game is boring, I need to feel challenged in order to get somewhere, you want rewind? Play Dirt 3, this is Dirt Rally (it's not the same franchise and not the same game, it's a spin-off to create a more realistic approach to rally).

Pls, not the same game, but has the same name? Should have changed the name entirely if they are just going to go do whatever with it. 

Are all of the Call of Duty games same? No. They have varying realism depth in them even though they have same name.
Are all of the Need For Speed games same?
Are all of the Warcraft games same?

You probably understood my point?

Kakkela said:
BreakdowN said:
Spokster said:

Are all of the Call of Duty games same? No. They have varying realism depth in them even though they have same name.

Using CoD was a terrible example. There's no better example of a game staying the same so long it stagnated anywhere in the gaming in the industry lol. It was only recently (last couple of games) Where they started changing things up. They even used the same exact engine for like 15 years lol.

Kakkela said:
BreakdowN said:
Spokster said:

Using CoD was a terrible example. There's no better example of a game staying the same so long it stagnated anywhere in the gaming in the industry lol. It was only recently (last couple of games) Where they started changing things up. They even used the same exact engine for like 15 years lol.

As did Codemaster's rally games? They were basically the same before Dirt 2 and then went 360 no-scope before going back to roots with DiRT Rally.

Kakkela said:
Actually they are there, just restricted to the dev builds and then removed from the public ones.
They are a pretty fundamental part of the engine. It took more time to remove them than it would have to leave them in (there's still remnants of the code in the game files).

It's been openly stated that in order to determine the delta times for each stage (the 'if you're going faster than this, you're probably cheating' benchmarks), Codies staff played with unlimited flashbacks to make sure they could get almost flawless runs.
Also an invaluable tool for creating their in-house videos, along with free camera.

When you stop and think, it's actually somewhat funny that games are being treated more like real life than actual, life or death, type simulators are.
Away from our homes, computers and consoles where we turn them into serious business entertainment, simulators are just learning tools.
When pilots are training for emergencies, they sure as hell don't simulate an entire trans-atlantic flight first.
Nor do they repeat the entire ordeal if they fail.
They hit the reset button and do the important part again and again until it becomes almost automatic.
There's no shaming involved.
The whole point of practicing is to focus on the specific area that needs worked on the most, and simulators exist as a more practical means of doing that.
So "It's a simulator" as a justification is kind of a paradox.
Just an FYI.
Funny old world, really.

I agree. Call of Duty 4 through, let's see, the 3 Modern Warfares, 2 Black Ops, I think World at war was in there? But that's thematically different, and I'd toss Ghosts in as all being pretty much identical. Reused textures, assets, animations, sounds, storylines, plot twists, terrible engine, glitches. It goes on. Can't say much about CM's games though.

So, back on topic, is this still an "issue" being discussed? You claim you were just curious and people gave you answers, to which you seemingly got upset about. CM didn't put in flashbacks because they're going for a more realistic hardcore game. Sim racers get this weird thing about having having options they can choose to not use, so they complain about it anyways. So CM left it out. (My take on it anyways.) With people like Rinus (Who I thought said he wasn't going to be on the forums anymore) saying that people that use a lower DOR with a wheel or gamepad is cheating, "serious" sim racers don't like "easy" options. They'll often run cars without any aids because it makes them feel superior, when in actuality you bet your ass they'd be on. I'll probably get some flak, but the guys on here (minus Rinus :P ) are a generally good lot that don't take it too seriously.
Long story short, there's no flashback/rewind for immersion and realism, which is basically the entire point of video games.

P.S. If you're new to sim racing (which admittedly DR actually isn't really) I'll give you a tip, people CAN be snobbish and superior, and don't like criticism of their game, but that's mostly on, well, every other sim game, which are all pretty much rubbish, with a community to match. These guys are a good lot, but the hate the mention of rewinds because they like immersion, and they're hardcore rally fans.

LOL! "Because these are my special collectible action figure toys & I don't want the little kids touching them - they should only be allowed to play with their teething rings & plush dolls!"  :s

Always funny to see how the mention of rewinds elicits such a prolific & sour response from people who express disgust at the mere principle of it & utter contempt for those in favor of it, automatically assuming/implying awful things about anyone with different gaming preferences (e.g.,"rewinds are for whiny babies who want instant gratification & need constant hand-holding because they're too lazy to make any effort for anything in life," etc.).

Since when is the only meaningful & justifiable purpose of playing a game solely to "get good" and be "competitive?" Since when does anyone have to "earn" the right to be a "fan" by "proving" that they're "hardcore" enough to deserve to play a game? Since when are someone's gaming preferences a direct reflection of their personal/professional life & character? (...which kinda begs the question: if 
you've spent hundreds/thousands of hours of your life playing one game that hasn't even been out for a year, are you really in any position to call others "lazy?")

Last I checked. video games are a recreational pastime - they're for fun & entertainment. If I just can't get enough effort & stress in my life, I'd just continue endlessly working until I go to bed each night instead of taking a break from work to relax & have a good time with some gaming. Of course challenge has a place, but challenge doesn't need to exclude the possibility/potential for casual fun. I don't recall ever seeing anyone asking for rewinds to help them get top leaderboard times, so your precious competitive standings & bragging rights are perfectly safe from all the "babies."

Not that there's anything to be done about it now in DiRT Rally, because the game's already been out & this aspect of it won't change - but a toxic attitude towards people who enjoy optional game features that have absolutely no effect on you says a lot more about you than it says about anyone else.

I like The Jimquisition's recent "Zero Difficulty" YouTube video on the topic.