Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why no rewinds (Just curious)

Operator1 said:

LOL! "Because these are my special collectible action figure toys & I don't want the little kids touching them - they should only be allowed to play with their teething rings & plush dolls!"  :s

Always funny to see how the mention of rewinds elicits such a prolific & sour response from people who express disgust at the mere principle of it & utter contempt for those in favor of it, automatically assuming/implying awful things about anyone with different gaming preferences (e.g.,"rewinds are for whiny babies who want instant gratification & need constant hand-holding because they're too lazy to make any effort for anything in life," etc.).

Since when is the only meaningful & justifiable purpose of playing a game solely to "get good" and be "competitive?" Since when does anyone have to "earn" the right to be a "fan" by "proving" that they're "hardcore" enough to deserve to play a game? Since when are someone's gaming preferences a direct reflection of their personal/professional life & character? (...which kinda begs the question: if 
you've spent hundreds/thousands of hours of your life playing one game that hasn't even been out for a year, are you really in any position to call others "lazy?")

Last I checked. video games are a recreational pastime - they're for fun & entertainment. If I just can't get enough effort & stress in my life, I'd just continue endlessly working until I go to bed each night instead of taking a break from work to relax & have a good time with some gaming. Of course challenge has a place, but challenge doesn't need to exclude the possibility/potential for casual fun. I don't recall ever seeing anyone asking for rewinds to help them get top leaderboard times, so your precious competitive standings & bragging rights are perfectly safe from all the "babies."

Not that there's anything to be done about it now in DiRT Rally, because the game's already been out & this aspect of it won't change - but a toxic attitude towards people who enjoy optional game features that have absolutely no effect on you says a lot more about you than it says about anyone else.

I like The Jimquisition's recent "Zero Difficulty" YouTube video on the topic.

Hey, that's how the game is. Imagine how butthurt people would be if Dark Souls had a rewind. I guess that would sort of be like Prince of Persia. DR was made for a specific audience, and the audience likes it a specific way. If you don't like it, then don't play it. Dark Souls is targeted at a specific audience and won't make an easy mode. It's not my thing, so I'll not play  it and instead choose, I don't know, Witcher 3, or Dragon Age or something... I'm not huge on my RPG's. If you don't like how the game goes then move on, it's not changing for you, play WRC or SLRE or something, it might be what you're looking for.

Yes, it is a pastime, but some people are serious about their hobbies. I like photography, butt *** it, it's just a hobby, so let's spend as little time as possible as actually doing what I personally enjoy. Some people don't like waiting for 3 or 4 hours for a single shot, but damn it, when they get that shot, and it's perfect, it's satisfying. (No rewind if you miss the shot either. ;) )It honestly seems like you want a less serious and less time inducing hobby, or choice of game. The blame falls on you, not us. If DR is too difficult, move on.

These guys are cuddly teddy bears compared to any one on the AC, iRacing, or PCars forums, ESPECIALLY @Porkhammer and @thecraicbear, who may not have been in this, so, sorry if you weren't.

BrySkye said:
Kakkela said:
This topic should probably die, but I need to point one thing out here. Everything takes time in game development. So when they chose to not do rewinds they allocated that time to somewhere else. 
People think about it differently, but there is no simcade game with rewinds, why should this game have them. You learn stage better when it's bit more punishing to fail, or at least that's usually mindset with people that like more realistic gameplay.
Actually they are there, just restricted to the dev builds and then removed from the public ones.
They are a pretty fundamental part of the engine. It took more time to remove them than it would have to leave them in (there's still remnants of the code in the game files).

It's been openly stated that in order to determine the delta times for each stage (the 'if you're going faster than this, you're probably cheating' benchmarks), Codies staff played with unlimited flashbacks to make sure they could get almost flawless runs.
Also an invaluable tool for creating their in-house videos, along with free camera.

Oh I have missed that, I stand corrected.

Operator1 said:

LOL! "Because these are my special collectible action figure toys & I don't want the little kids touching them - they should only be allowed to play with their teething rings & plush dolls!"  :s

Always funny to see how the mention of rewinds elicits such a prolific & sour response from people who express disgust at the mere principle of it & utter contempt for those in favor of it, automatically assuming/implying awful things about anyone with different gaming preferences (e.g.,"rewinds are for whiny babies who want instant gratification & need constant hand-holding because they're too lazy to make any effort for anything in life," etc.).

Since when is the only meaningful & justifiable purpose of playing a game solely to "get good" and be "competitive?" Since when does anyone have to "earn" the right to be a "fan" by "proving" that they're "hardcore" enough to deserve to play a game? Since when are someone's gaming preferences a direct reflection of their personal/professional life & character? (...which kinda begs the question: if you've spent hundreds/thousands of hours of your life playing one game that hasn't even been out for a year, are you really in any position to call others "lazy?")

Last I checked. video games are a recreational pastime - they're for fun & entertainment. If I just can't get enough effort & stress in my life, I'd just continue endlessly working until I go to bed each night instead of taking a break from work to relax & have a good time with some gaming. Of course challenge has a place, but challenge doesn't need to exclude the possibility/potential for casual fun. I don't recall ever seeing anyone asking for rewinds to help them get top leaderboard times, so your precious competitive standings & bragging rights are perfectly safe from all the "babies."

Not that there's anything to be done about it now in DiRT Rally, because the game's already been out & this aspect of it won't change - but a toxic attitude towards people who enjoy optional game features that have absolutely no effect on you says a lot more about you than it says about anyone else.

I like The Jimquisition's recent "Zero Difficulty" YouTube video on the topic.

That's how enthusiasts are, but in this particular case it's more about people being annoyed as this thing has been discussed earlier already.