Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What wheel to choose for PS4?

Hello everybody 

Having just bought the game for PS4 and logged about 8-10 hours in it with a controller - I am beginning to think about taking the plunge and buying a wheel + perhaps a playseat challenge to mount the sucker (the wife is not a huge fan of a permanent race-seat in her living room so it needs to be put away when I am not using it). I have been looking at the forums and seen some complaints with the FFB. Anyone have any experiences on wheels for PS4? I am currently looking at the Logitech G29 with add-on shifter or the Thrustmaster t300 (would also like the good Thrustmaster peals and a shifter but damn thats expensive once you're all done).

And by the way! Thanks to Codemasters for making such a great game!!! I crashed a million times and my laptimes suck but I am slowly feeling improvement every time I play. Just how i like my racing games! ALMOST made it out of the OPEN category and on to the next level in the championships yesterday evening. My first go at a championship and made it to 4th place. Next time...

Hope to hear some suggestions on wheels for PS4 from all the experts in here.

Best regards!

I use the recently released Thrustmaster  T150. Its an excellent wheel for a reasonable price.

The drive system is a hybrid between gears and belt which makes it smoother than the G29 and a little less smooth than the T300. The FFb is excellent with no notacible deadzone (like the G29 has)

It has a 11 inch wheel which has 1080 rotation, and can be used with the shifter and the add-on pedals just like the T300. You can't however change the rims like on the T300.

Given its price it is the ultimate beginner wheel imo.

I started off with a T300 but that only lasted a couple of months before it died so I opted to go for the T500  instead. It is by far a better wheel but it does lose some of  the PS4 functions of the T300. I need my DS4 for certain things in the menus but it's worth it imo for the superior product. If you have the budget & will be using it a lot,go for the T500 <span>:smile:</span>

I own and use a T300 regularly and can really recommend it, feels very nice. 

I have to say the first base broke after like 3 months, but I got a replacement unit no problem and thats running fine for over a year and probably over 1000 driving hours by now. (Maybe it was only the first production run that was faulty)

But the pedals are crap, if you want to dirive serious you'd probably want one of their addons, I have the T3PA ones, together with a TH8A Shifter. Works marvellous for Project Cars on PS4. Can't judge DiRT as I have it on PC, but I would think it's equally good, because on PC with T300 it is

Cheers

Stevie777 said:

I use the recently released Thrustmaster  T150. Its an excellent wheel for a reasonable price.

The drive system is a hybrid between gears and belt which makes it smoother than the G29 and a little less smooth than the T300. The FFb is excellent with no notacible deadzone (like the G29 has)

It has a 11 inch wheel which has 1080 rotation, and can be used with the shifter and the add-on pedals just like the T300. You can't however change the rims like on the T300.

Given its price it is the ultimate beginner wheel imo.

Hi all!
 Just got the game for PS4 yesterday and felt very disappointed when I found out game it's not recognising my G25?!?! So this wheel is supported on PC but not PS4??? bug? error??? is this gonna change? huge shame....

Did you not read up on what wheels are supported?
You are using a 6 year old wheel...and feel surprised?

actually I got the game almost "by accident" as a gift, not bought it... my intention was to get the PC version which does support G25 (which btw is 7,5 years old and better than lots of current wheels) and probably will get it... thanks for the positive feedback bro

Thx for the feedback folks. I looked into the T150. Unfortunately you cant mount it on a wheel stand. Only has the clamp-on thing for desks/tables... I think that I have pretty much settled on the T300 (although alot of reports on broken wheels disturbs me a little). We will see...

Happy racing to everyone!

Dbkmac said:
Thx for the feedback folks. I looked into the T150. Unfortunately you cant mount it on a wheel stand. Only has the clamp-on thing for desks/tables... I think that I have pretty much settled on the T300 (although alot of reports on broken wheels disturbs me a little). We will see...

Happy racing to everyone!
I might be wrong..but doesn't the T300 also have the clamp?
I have my T 150 clamped on a playseat and that sucker hasent moved since i put it there... think it's one of the best clamps in the business.
The T300 can't justify it's pricetag imo, it has the same plastic pedals as T150, same clampsystem, same wheel size...only big difference are the leather and the brushless motor.

But which ever you buy, you will be more than satisfied i think.

Kiros15 said:
actually I got the game almost "by accident" as a gift, not bought it... my intention was to get the PC version which does support G25 (which btw is 7,5 years old and better than lots of current wheels) and probably will get it... thanks for the positive feedback bro
Your welcome.

Kiros15 said:
Hi all!
 Just got the game for PS4 yesterday and felt very disappointed when I found out game it's not recognising my G25?!?! So this wheel is supported on PC but not PS4??? bug? error??? is this gonna change? huge shame....
Its the PS4 that doesn't recognise the G25, not the game.

I got the T150 (upgraded from the DFGT which is not PS4-compatible) and am very happy with it so far. I'm using it with the WheelStand Pro I had bought for the DFGT, I checked with WSP before I bought the T150 to see if it would be compatible with the stand and they confirmed it. Very good support from them. 

I would have gone for the T300 which I could have got for just a little more money, but the guys from WSP said they'd recommend another stronger stand for it because the wheel is heavier and more powerful (though I could just buy some cheap parts from them to adapt the stand I have, but they didn't recommend it due to the weight of the wheel).

I don't recommend the G29 because I checked and it seems the gears can't work as sequential? If that's true and you really want gear stick, I'd recommend T150 or T300 + gear stick add-on which comes with a neat sequential plate.

Btw, your wife would love the WheelStand Pro. I just fold it and store it in the wardrobe in seconds and use a dinner chair to play, perfectly good enough for the job, nothing added to the living room. The Playseat Challenge doesn't look that great at least for me because I have neck problems and I'm sure that reclined position with the neck forced forward with no support behind it (from photos I've looked at) would kill me. I tried armchairs and so on (like the cheap Ikea Pello) but I think anything short of a very expensive seat with proper head support would not work for me, so prefer to sit upright on the dinner chair.

Just googled a bit and it looks like the clamp-thing will work with playseats challenge chair. pEst410... I looked into the wheel-stand and it just looks a bit flimsy + i dont suffer from neck problems and like the "hammock-style" Playseat. Sooo... Maybe the T150 will do me just fine. Leaves more money for shifter and decent pedals with clutch. Excellent! Thx!

Looks are deceiving (i had the same worries before getting mine), the WheelStand Pro is built like a tank and incredibly steady and balanced while playing. It doesn't move in the slightest. Maybe look up some reviews? But sure, if you don't think it will cause you neck strain, go for the Playseat, but looking at photos of it and having had the WSP for years, I have very little doubt that the Challenge is much more flimsy than the WSP.

Dbkmac said:
Just googled a bit and it looks like the clamp-thing will work with playseats challenge chair. pEst410... I looked into the wheel-stand and it just looks a bit flimsy + i dont suffer from neck problems and like the "hammock-style" Playseat. Sooo... Maybe the T150 will do me just fine. Leaves more money for shifter and decent pedals with clutch. Excellent! Thx!

I have the T150 and a Playseat challenge it fits on there perfectly , One piece of advice i can give you is on the playseat there is Velcro straps you should  buy two small clamps to clamp the velcro together , You don't want to be sitting in the seat and it collapsing like it did on me :D  my thumb got caught and crushed between the bars. But other than that it's a decent little set up.

Dbkmac said:

I use the playseat challenge and i'm 6'4 and 240 lbs.
I thought it would break...sturdy as hell (your weight makes it sturdt) and easily foldable to hide in a closet/under a bed.

Its a very good buy if you ask me

I agree with Benja that the T300 is the best buy mainly for strength of FFB, if you can get it for not much more money than the T150 or don't mind the extra cost. But coming from a controller, you'll be very happy with the T150 too, and have more money left for extras.

Personally, I don't like very strong FFB, so I usually turn it down a bit anyway (used to with the DFGT and so far ok with the T150 but will probably lower it a tad soon). I try to find the sweet spot between getting a complete feel for the physics while keeping my arms attached to the rest of my body at the end of every stage.

I've got a Fanatec GT2 wheel and Clubsport Pedals. It says on the website it is compatible on PS4 but I can't seem to find where to calibrate the wheel in the game. Any help would be appreciated! 

Bought a T150 with a playseat challenge. Great fun but I find that I am having to learn the game all over! Will get there though. Already noticed a lot better speed on sections that caused me trouble beforehand. A wheel is a lot less "twitchy" than a controller.

Thanks for the input guys!

Dbkmac said:
Bought a T150 with a playseat challenge. Great fun but I find that I am having to learn the game all over! Will get there though. Already noticed a lot better speed on sections that caused me trouble beforehand. A wheel is a lot less "twitchy" than a controller.

Thanks for the input guys!
Your welcome, hope you enjoy it.
Btw, did you get the playseat mat aswell?
In another thread you can see my wheel setup for the T150 if you want to try it out, love to hear your settings.

Didn't get the mat. Am setting up the seat on a carpet so I didn't really see the need to buy a mat. The wheel settings are on 45-ish percent saturation and soft lock as far as I recall - otherwise i haven't messed about with the pre-loaded wheel-settings in the game. Feels alright to me! Will chek out your settings and see if i like it. THX.

I'm currently using the Logitech G29, with the Driving Force Shifter that I set as my handbrake (4th gear, with a couple of elastics that disengage the brake as soon as I let go). I have it mounted onto a Pagnian Next Level Racing Wheel Stand. this stand is ROCK SOLID. I'm a big dude (6' 4" - 240 lbs) and it stays where I want it. The cool thing about it (the stand) is that you can upgrade to install a frame for a seat, and you can also install a three screen set up if you want to go all out...and not have to speand $3K right off the bat.

Someone above mentioned that the G29 won't allow sequential gearing, but mine is set up like that and it works well. That said, the clutch pedal isn't active. So there's that...but all in all, I love it. You will probably want to set your turning radius lower once you get into faster cars, but I personally love the G29.