Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game is just so unforgiving

Granted, everyone loves a challenge, but come on. 5 games later you're just going to make it one of the hardest racing games out there? First game gave you like 5 or less feedbacks. You should be able to choose the difficulty of a game, not be forced to play one. Constantly coming in second and third is just getting old. Blame it on me sucking, I don't care. But I'll more than likely be going back to Forza. Shame cause DiRT was one of the best racing games ever. I mean, you get penalized for crashing..... Pretty sure crashing in and of itself is penalty enough. 
 Again, not saying make the game easier. But you need to give players the option to not play what appears to be the hardest difficulty on the hardest racing game to date. 

The game is unforgiving and seeing as you mention Forza - I'll assume you play on xbox. With that said, the game has only been out 2 days... how good do you think you will be after 2 days?

Any game you beat within 2 days is not worth playing in my opinion. Unfortunately, if that's the type of game you are looking for then this is not the game for you.

As a side note, For console release they actually DID reduce the difficulty, imagine how hard it was for the rest of us who joined in at early access!  

Hope you stick with it as it's very rewarding and satisfying once it all come together... but that will not happen overnight.

I'm not sure what you expected from a game that claims to be a simulator... Of course you are going to get penalized in time for crashing, that's how it works in real life rallying. You either make it through the course clean or you don't. D:R wouldn't be D:R if it had "easy modes" and time reversal or any of those shenanigans. That's what's so great about this game, it just drops you in head first and forces you to adapt to it's unforgiving rules. 

Also I don't really see whats to complain about getting second or third place, those are pretty competitive placings. If you dislike not getting first place enough then take it as a sign that you still have lots to improve upon. 

To be 100% honest, all other dirt games have been craptastic. Yes, I've played them. But there wasn't a lot of enjoyment from them. Dirt showdown was fun for about 30 minutes. That was free though. 

It's OK though, go back to forza. That game is pretty good, but it doesn't require much skill do well in, and I find that less rewarding and the sense of accomplishment for acting it is non existent.

I loved the previous Dirt games, but DR trumps them all. You really should've read the warning signs that this game will kick your ass at first though. It's a big learning curve for sure, but it's not completely unforgiving either imo. You just have to practice and understand the cars a lot more than you would do with Forza.

Evilsmurf said:

The game is unforgiving and seeing as you mention Forza - I'll assume you play on xbox. With that said, the game has only been out 2 days... how good do you think you will be after 2 days?

Any game you beat within 2 days is not worth playing in my opinion. Unfortunately, if that's the type of game you are looking for then this is not the game for you.

As a side note, For console release they actually DID reduce the difficulty, imagine how hard it was for the rest of us who joined in at early access!  

Hope you stick with it as it's very rewarding and satisfying once it all come together... but that will not happen overnight.

All I said was have an option to choose. I don't see why that would be such a problem? Or some sort of section that appeals to the older DiRT games. Since I mainly play racing games I'd say I'm pretty good. What's the point in playing a racing game if you're never first? lyxer01 said:
I'm not sure what you expected from a game that claims to be a simulator... Of course you are going to get penalized in time for crashing, that's how it works in real life rallying. You either make it through the course clean or you don't. D:R wouldn't be D:R if it had "easy modes" and time reversal or any of those shenanigans. That's what's so great about this game, it just drops you in head first and forces you to adapt to it's unforgiving rules. 

Also I don't really see whats to complain about getting second or third place, those are pretty competitive placings. If you dislike not getting first place enough then take it as a sign that you still have lots to improve upon. 
The first Dirt game also claimed to be a simulator and you still got 5 flashbacks.... Forza and Gran Turismo have all be claimed "simulators". and why that's fun and all it's still a game and should be treated as such. I have been playing pretty much non-stop and am getting a steady second place and in the top 200 in the weekly and dailies. I should be able to get first place in this game and it's just not happening and it's extremely frustrating. Like I said, I like a challenge and all, but this is too much especially since it's past games weren't like this. LOSTVENGENCE96 said:
To be 100% honest, all other dirt games have been craptastic. Yes, I've played them. But there wasn't a lot of enjoyment from them. Dirt showdown was fun for about 30 minutes. That was free though. 

It's OK though, go back to forza. That game is pretty good, but it doesn't require much skill do well in, and I find that less rewarding and the sense of accomplishment for acting it is non existent.

Nah, the first 3 Dirt games we awesome and Showdown was just garbage. But, all a matter of opinion. Forza does require some skill and if you say it doesn't than you're just being arrogant. I find Forza to be extremely fun, especially online. Lets not even mention either how you get crap rewards in this game and takes forever to even get a second car. KingOfTheCakes said:
I loved the previous Dirt games, but DR trumps them all. You really should've read the warning signs that this game will kick your ass at first though. It's a big learning curve for sure, but it's not completely unforgiving either imo. You just have to practice and understand the cars a lot more than you would do with Forza.
I still like the game,just saying it's way harder than the previous ones and not having any option to change difficulty or go into a more forgiving championship or something. 

Seems most of you think I hate the game or something? I am just stating my opinion on some things. I come in 2nd frequently and in the top 200 in the weekly and daily events. I'd say I'm well above average in the game and still, have yet to receive my first actual win. On top of that I have come in first, second and third in the 6 stage events and on one of the them I was 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, and 1st and still ended up getting 2nd in the championship and not leveling up. Sorry, but although I like a challenge I don't like being forced to play the same first part of a race over and over and over trying to learn the track, car, environment, etc especially since the consistency is all over the place. You're pretty much forced to play using manual to be able to drive correctly.

If they want to make a hardcore simulator directed towards elite rally racers, fine. But either have some of the content the prior games had before, or change the name of the game. Although I do find winning a race in this game satisfying, I do not appreciate spending over an hour plus on a track and either hoping for the best, or replayed the track so much it's brainwashing.  

Nah, the first 3 Dirt games we awesome and Showdown was just garbage. But, all a matter of opinion. Forza does require some skill and if you say it doesn't than you're just being arrogant. I find Forza to be extremely fun, especially online. Lets not even mention either how you get crap rewards in this game and takes forever to even get a second car. KingOfTheCakes said:
the first how many ever dirt games were mediocre at best. Forza takes skill is being arrogant? Okie dokie. I didn't realize that licking up the game and constant first place finishes on hard difficulty is skill. As stated many times, this game takes real skill. You placing where you are is testiment to that. With time and willingness, you'll master it and think man, that was actually pretty easy to get where I am now. 

I'd love to see you play world of tanks with this attitude. 

BreakdowN said:
Seems most of you think I hate the game or something? I am just stating my opinion on some things. I come in 2nd frequently and in the top 200 in the weekly and daily events. I'd say I'm well above average in the game and still, have yet to receive my first actual win. 
I really don't know what to say, you seem really upset about something that frankly nobody else has cared about or really seen as an issue. Honestly it's not impossible to win championships and move up ranks. If you aren't winning them then you aren't pushing hard enough, really simple as that. 
Sorry, but although I like a challenge I don't like being forced to play the same first part of a race over and over and over trying to learn the track, car, environment, etc especially since the consistency is all over the place. 
Sorry for being blunt, but are we suppose to have pity because you somehow can't have perfect runs on difficult maps and actually have to practice learning them? Welcome to rally racing dude, there absolutely nothing consistent about the motor sport. I guarantee you there are few one hit wonders on here, I've been playing this game since August of 2015 and I still cant say that I could tackle any one map with an 80% certain win.
You're pretty much forced to play using manual to be able to drive correctly. .  
What's the issue with that? It's practically impossible to be competitive with the computer fully shifting for you in real life too. There is so much stability and speed gain in being able to select your own gears it's like a no brainer.
If they want to make a hardcore simulator directed towards elite rally racers, fine. But either have some of the content the prior games had before, or change the name of the game. Although I do find winning a race in this game satisfying, I do not appreciate spending over an hour plus on a track and either hoping for the best, or replayed the track so much it's brainwashing.  
Dirt Rally is suppose to be a shift away from Codemasters previous Dirt titles and move on to a more realistic approach. You cant have both realism and arcade completely existing in the same realm otherwise it ruins the immersion of it being a simulator while simultaneously being a mediocre arcade game.  If you don't like the amount of time you have put into Dirt Rally then I'd suggest taking some of the other posters suggestion and just find another game that suits your interest.

This new title from codies is a masterpiece..thrills spills and pure mayhem with each stage you try to concur is yes frustrating but can also be exhilarating, if in doubt flat out? Cut don't cut? This is without question the best rally title to grace our PC Xbox ps4 to date.

Ok the arrogance from most of the posters in here is outstanding. (so what your ok with a difficulty setting so feck everybody else?)

Sure you may love the difficulty but the vast majority of the casual gamers who bought the game especially on console are not liking the high difficulty.
Those buyers bought this game of the strength / rep of the previous Rally games from codemasters and have come to expect similar in the way of offerings.

NOBODY is asking for the game to be dumbed down but what the topic creator and most non expert racers are asking for is for a easy setting so we can all enjoy the thrills of winning.
Think about it cater for all types of gamer not just the Elite who like it the way it is.
People don't have time to sit and put hours upon hours in to trying to perfect a rally games physics....there are such things as work and families, ARE we/they not allowed to have fun because that's what any game including this one should all be about.
Fun comes 1st not repeated 2nds,3rds and 4ths...because of  this games insistence to require perfect runs to get that 1st place.
Who the hell would it hurt if an easier to win setting was included/patched in? 
You dont have to use it, its called choice....some of you so called elitist need to remember that.

I'm glad those of you who can handle the game as it is, your £45 has been well spent, but for those of us not blessed with the reactions of Colin McRae himself or the gaming god skills such as the above  in the previous posts its not nearly as fun as it should be and in the long term it will be codemasters and eventually the rest of us who will suffer.
Because word of mouth is already spreading this is the Dark Souls of console racing games and people will be turned off buying it and codemaster will lose sales and in the future gamers may not risk another codemasters car game just incase of similar issues...............No sales no games.......codemasters disappears like several of the other developers have done recently after just 1 game that failed to outperform the sales predicted.

Anyway that's  my 2 pennies on the game, But it don't mean squat as the rest of  the  elitists have all ready decided for us all LOL.

To be honest this game was sales pitched as a simulator experience meaning the gameplay wasn't going to be driving miss daisy around her garden pond,at the end of the day it could have had an easier option setting and probably should have,but any review I read about the PC version clearly stated the difficulty of it all,and that was my reason to buy it for ps4,my comments were certainly not meant to be arrogant or cause upset. 

Evilsmurf said:
For console release they actually DID reduce the difficulty, imagine how hard it was for the rest of us who joined in at early access!  
This                                                                      

To be honest this game was sales pitched as a simulator experience meaning the gameplay wasn't going to be driving miss daisy around her garden pond,at the end of the day it could have had an easier option setting and probably should have,but any review I read about the PC version clearly stated the difficulty of it all,and that was my reason to buy it for ps4,my comments were certainly not meant to be arrogant or cause upset. 
I didn't have you in mind when i stated the arrogance of some of the posters. LOL

Thing is the game was not pitched as this Dark Souls Dirt Rally on console, yeap it was expected to be a bit more sim like but i was imagining project cars style, where you are given the option to tinker and tailor make the game that suits your level of skill.
At the weekend i watched one of the developers chuck his car around the stages (on playstation live via twitch) making a few mistakes and still nabbing the odd win and i'll be honest it gave me confidence that maybe this game had such options to balance the skill levels out to the individual player's ability as he was belting the car around the course in dark/snow i instantly said it must be similar to project cars setting wise as this is supposed to be a bitch of a game on steam. 

But codemaster have forgot about the normal not so skilled gamers who will feel like they wasted £45 on a game they can never enjoy as they should be able to.
Like i stated already what harm would it do to include a easy mode......you elite racer dont need to use it but give us the option.

Evilsmurf said:
For console release they actually DID reduce the difficulty, imagine how hard it was for the rest of us who joined in at early access!  
This                                                                      

Ahhh that makes it alright then, again lets just ignore the fact people are struggling on something that cost us £45 which lets not forget is a heftier price to pay than it is on steam.
Your all forgetting about the different types of skill levels that many people have, I bow down to all you experts and congratulate you on your abilities, but this game should not just cater for you.
Do the right thing codemasters and add a new difficulty that mimics the previous Dirt and rally codemaster games.

BreakdowN said:
Again, not saying make the game easier. But you need to give players the option to not play what appears to be the hardest difficulty on the hardest racing game to date. 

I play-tested the beta of the last two DiRT titles (obviously we don't count Showdown). The DiRT 3 play test was one of the most enjoyable days of my life! It was great to sit down with what became DiRT Rally. It initially seemed to have everything that a fan of the series could wish for: amazing graphics, sound, new tracks and a completely new challenge but, after soon wanting to move from the Mini, I started to look very, very poor! I played it for an afternoon but I didn't have to be dragged away from the D-Box like I did last time around and it felt weird as I drove out of the gate at Codies HQ; I wasn’t on the massive high that I expected. The game, for me, just lacked the element of fun that had characterised D2 and D3 – I wouldn’t likely be getting the mates around for a few beers and a craic running time trials with this one as things stood!

It was clear that the game wasn’t targeted at fans of the previous titles. I can accept that - I was definitely in a minority of one as in I was a fan of the game rather than the sport itself! Having gotten to know Paul, Jon and some of the other testers, it has been great to see them achieve what they set out to do. The title appears to have been a massive success and I’m chuffed to bits for them – I hope it makes a fortune and spawns lots more titles. But DiRT isn’t my game any more: I just don’t have the time to spend in order to develop the skillset to be able to progress as I would like. I grew frustrated with restrictions in place to limit my ability to restart, to be forced to experience real rally and to have the difficulty level set for me. I get the hardcore challenge but it could easily have catered for all audiences: break up the stages as they stand currently into smaller sections to make a ‘clubman’ tour or similar so that those of us without a lot of time can take on bite-sized stages. I know the stage lengths of the old titles were panned but they were great for the fun players. Let me choose my own difficulty level and I’ll move it up when I’m good and ready. Let me opt to switch on the fantastic sounds of the in-car view even though I’m running bonnet or bumper cam. Let me switch on auto-mechanic so that I can spend my time driving, not fixing. A lot of hardcore players don’t get that this title could have been a game for everyone. In that respect, I find it a real shame.

I still get an urge to sit at the wheel when I see my lad having another go but I can still remember the frustrations of being stuck trying to get a reasonable run at a single stage for three hours and having to put endless quantities of coins in the swear box!

Ahhh that makes it alright then, again lets just ignore the fact people are struggling on something that cost us £45 which lets not forget is a heftier price to pay than it is on steam.
Your all forgetting about the different types of skill levels that many people have, I bow down to all you experts and congratulate you on your abilities, but this game should not just cater for you.
Do the right thing codemasters and add a new difficulty that mimics the previous Dirt and rally codemaster games.
You're missing the point, which to be fair, is easy considering my previous post. Let me try and explain.

It wasn't about us being experts, or you just suck, deal with it. Everybody hits that wall when they first start playing. When we first started playing the game none of us were experts. All of us, like you, found the game hard. For weeks the leaderboard times didn't come close to the AI times. People complained about the difficulty, so Codies spaced out the AI times for console release. They even added a series of tutorials that explain how to get the most out of cars. I'd watch them if you haven't already, they're very useful.

However...

Because the game is attempting to recreate as realistic an experience as possible, you will have to master the skills required to win. You don't have to win every race to advance through the levels though, you only have to make top 3.

You don't get upgrades based on position, you get them based on the amount of miles you have driven in that car in Career mode. You can come 16th in every race and you still get the same upgrades as would have done if you came 1st.

Once your car is fully upgraded, you should have the skills, and pace, to get 1st place.

You're missing the point, which to be fair, is easy considering my previous post. Let me try and explain.

It wasn't about us being experts, or you just suck, deal with it. Everybody hits that wall when they first start playing. When we first started playing the game none of us were experts. All of us, like you, found the game hard. For weeks the leaderboard times didn't come close to the AI times. People complained about the difficulty, so Codies spaced out the AI times for console release. They even added a series of tutorials that explain how to get the most out of cars. I'd watch them if you haven't already, they're very useful.

However...

Because the game is attempting to recreate as realistic an experience as possible, you will have to master the skills required to win. You don't have to win every race to advance through the levels though, you only have to make top 3.

You don't get upgrades based on position, you get them based on the amount of miles you have driven in that car in Career mode. You can come 16th in every race and you still get the same upgrades as would have done if you came 1st.

Once your car is fully upgraded, you should have the skills, and pace, to get 1st place.

look i can understand all this, but its very demoralising when one slight miss timed hair pin, one slight over break, one single mistake of any sort and thats it forget about a win possibly even top 3.
I dont want to win every single sector or stage but i do expect a chance of nabbing a few, but like i said one fluff and thats it forget it.
I've put in so far 100+ stages and went from finishing 7th  to 5th then 4th and now i bag 2nd's and 3rds but if the leader is alway winning...........well like a broke record its very disheartening.

I can only speak for myself here but this game needs 110% concentration but i'm physically not able to dish that out due to chemotherapy treatments, this stuff messes with that sort of thing.....not much of an excuse i know but im not able to devote the amount of time some of you lot seem to use as defence towards the difficulty even on lowest settings.

Anyway
still think codemasters could have catered for every skill considering this is not a cheap bit of entertainment, if it were the prices seen on steam for console i would be more inclined to not be so upset, but we have to pay more and being console most of us expected a game similar to the previous rally/racing games from codemasters.
THEY SHOULD HAVE NEVER USED THE DIRT BRAND NAME..............thats whats lead to so much anxiety when hit by the constant wall.
If they were going for this new type of rally game they they should have named as a new brand.
Rally Sim or whatever they liked but they choose to use an established Arcade/sim hybrid brand.

Plus not you personally but some of the posters make things worse with the feck you attitude i'm ok so bugger off and go back to console racers.

The tutorials were useful but it would have been better if they had ones that showed you and let you try the technique immediately after.
If they even put one of those racing lines in that changed colour for breaking zones that way you keep your difficulty as it stands and us not so talented gamers can learn the breaking and speeds required to master this beast.
(yes i know the steam version had no such help but what harm would it do, more people will buy the game and isn't that what counts)

END OF THE DAY
I think most  console owners were expecting a Project cars type sim were you could tweak settings to match your skill level...........not a PC elitist game.

I've been playing racing games and sims for about 25 years and I am finding this game nearly impossible. Usually within 2 or 3 days I have it wired, but not this time. I'm playing on XB One. I've run three rallies in the 1960s open championship in the A110. I've finished 4th, 1st and 1st. Now in Sweden and It's just not working. Keep thinking that if I get the controller setup right, and the car setup right that it will all fall into place and it will actually be fun. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm not giving up.

Pitching the difficulty at the level they have was a massive commercial gamble in my opinion as it may well turn the more casual gamers away.

That said, I disagree with offering an easier difficulty setting as the games foundations are based on the risk / reward system that would just evaporate entirely if it was artificially simplified and I don't think it would have got the glowing reviews it has without that. 

I wouldn't trade a stage completing "F*CK YEAH!!!" for a watered down "yessss" for anything :)

MartyBook said:
Pitching the difficulty at the level they have was a massive commercial gamble in my opinion as it may well turn the more casual gamers away.

That said, I disagree with offering an easier difficulty setting as the games foundations are based on the risk / reward system that would just evaporate entirely if it was artificially simplified and I don't think it would have got the glowing reviews it has without that. 

I wouldn't trade a stage completing "F*CK YEAH!!!" for a watered down "yessss" for anything :)
Here's the thing you wouldn't have to use an easier mode, but you rather be selfish and deprive others who are struggling a chance to enjoy a game they paid their hard earned cash for.
you seem to think adding a slightly easier AI time wise for the top 3 in a new difficulty level will cheapen a game, GET real it will bring more gamers to the series, nothing has changed within the core of the game you will still have the exact same offering as you do now except with a slightly less tricky top 3 racers in a possible new difficulty.

End of the day here it just seems the only ones against some help for others are PC elitists and so called experts who probably have no jobs who can put hours upon hours of practise in. 

This is going to be a weird analogy for some people, but as as far as I see it this is going back to old school gaming where the games didn't cater for people that HAD to complete every single game with ease in the first few days of owning it.
Did any of you play Sonic on the mega drive? Did any of you complete it? I doubt it. But did it ever stop you to relentlessly keep trying? No! And how awesome did it feel when you reached a level you'd never got to before! Then you'd die and have to start all over again.
Games are far too easy these days so I think it's refreshing to have a challenge, and hearing people like BreakdowN sound bemused because you get penalised for crashing and saying that he "should be able to get first place in this game", makes me cringe!
Despite what children get taught at school these days, everyone is NOT a winner and it's NOT the taking part that counts! If you want to win, grow some balls and take the time to practice things, and keep practicing until you're happy with the standard you've achieved. Everyone wants everything on plate that's what frustrates me, not that a game doesn't let me win after owning it for hours!
Rant over...

jimbowarr said:
Oh and johnnyhotrocks, I have it on PS4 and have a full time job!
And what you want a medal?
Try having a full time job a family and cancer treatments daily...get of your high horse!

If still like to see all the whiners junp in and play world of tanks. That game takes even more skill, but in a different way then this game. And takes a lot longer to master. However, once you do, it's the easiest thing in the world. 

jimbowarr said:
Try having a full time job a family and cancer treatments daily...get of your high horse!

jimbowarr said:

jimbowarr said:

johnnyhotrocks: "End of the day here it just seems the only ones against some help for others are PC elitists and so called experts who probably have no jobs who can put hours upon hours of practise in".
That's all I was referring to!?