Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game is just so unforgiving

MartyBook said:
Pitching the difficulty at the level they have was a massive commercial gamble in my opinion as it may well turn the more casual gamers away.

That said, I disagree with offering an easier difficulty setting as the games foundations are based on the risk / reward system that would just evaporate entirely if it was artificially simplified and I don't think it would have got the glowing reviews it has without that. 

I wouldn't trade a stage completing "F*CK YEAH!!!" for a watered down "yessss" for anything :)
Here's the thing you wouldn't have to use an easier mode, but you rather be selfish and deprive others who are struggling a chance to enjoy a game they paid their hard earned cash for.
you seem to think adding a slightly easier AI time wise for the top 3 in a new difficulty level will cheapen a game, GET real it will bring more gamers to the series, nothing has changed within the core of the game you will still have the exact same offering as you do now except with a slightly less tricky top 3 racers in a possible new difficulty.

End of the day here it just seems the only ones against some help for others are PC elitists and so called experts who probably have no jobs who can put hours upon hours of practise in. 
Woah calm it down Mr angry! The OP asked "Game is just so unforgiving" implying there should be an easier difficulty level with a poll to agree or disagree. I disagree and, yes, I think it would cheapen the game to make it easier in the same way that making red shells miss more often would cheapen mario cart. The difficulty is a core game mechanic and what makes this game stand out from the crowd. 

I'm a casual gamer with a PS4 and a 50 hour a week job

I'm not sure why you're so obsessed with winning. I couldn't care less if I finish 1st or 10th, the enjoyment comes from flicking the back end out, drifting around the corners & driving like I stole it. I've never had so much fun as this game gives, the balance & feedback through the wheel is 2nd to none. I've no idea where I'm finishing my championships, I just buy another car & go again, for yet more sideways smiles. 
My advice is chill out, ignore where you finish & revel in this masterpiece of digital entertainment :)

Well go play a casual game then? The game isn't meant to be casual in the way people like their games now adays...gimmicky and easy.

I dont agree.

I came back to dirt after being bite by 3 very odd games not of the CMR era that just didnt quite work.
Now I am playing DR and can say one thing the cars are ultra realistic in handling and a pain in the rear end on fwd vehicles you struggle to power slide and keep the power on the wheels, this game is going to take a huge amount of practice to get right and no disrespect but the silly rewind things of the past are gone and should stay gone they are what let these games down.

If you want a game that will be a easier drive then play forza or driveclub, I am very happy with this game and very happy i paid out the money for it.

Disagree 100 hundred times over! So far the current gen games have been far too easy and hold your hands throughout! I get some people may struggle but guess what keep going at it and you will get there. Seems gamers nowadays want everything to be easy for them. The best thing about this game is that first impression of omg this is so difficult but when you nail it when you start turning the sector greens the sense of achievement is second to none! Me, personally I was sick of buying racing "sims" only to win every race from the start with no challenge, turning difficulty upto max only to still be racing out front on my own or several seconds up. Every victory on forza  gran turismo project cars etc felt very hollow to me. dirt rally has so far bought back all my old memories of playing the old CM games as a kid, though i am missing Oz and Africa :(

This is not a game for PC elitists (as johnnyhotrocks claims), but for rally enthusiasts across the gaming community regardless of platform. It rewards for hard work put into practice.

Since release i have finnished in the top 3 twice on open difficulty in rally, once in Monte Carlo and once in Germany and ive never had a better position than 13th Place in rallycross in the qualifying rounds. The ai in this game is not unforgiving, the ai is ridiculously perfect. I understand the fact that this is a simulation experience but cmon, everyone should get through a career mode who spends money on the product. Of course there should be really punishing difficulty settings for those who wish to fine tune every little throttle push and corner but they should not be tied to the career of the the game, its just plain wrong and a really bad design choice. Either dial down their times or greatly increase the randomness of which position they finnish in every event, that would really help a lot in creating a more balanced experience that everyone who buys the game game can enjoy. DIrt Rally, the car game that takes simulation to new heights but in turn only caters to a selected few individuals. Just take a look at the trophy list percentage on ps4 and you can really tell how severe this problem is. And just to make it clear, im all for the simulation part of the game, in fact i embrace it and love it, but what i do not like is the unbalanced or would i say less random ai that almost set perfect stage times all the time, especially the top 3 drivers. And thats the only thing i can complain about, aside from that this game is an outstanding experience.

In rallying you don't get a penalty for rolling. Cut a corner is a different matter. So get your penalties sorted.  

This is the rally game I have been dreaming off ever since the ORIGINAL Colin McRae games. This is essentially Colin Mcrae rally 3. When the dirt series came along, codemasters destroyed both mcrae himself as well as the fans. The dirt games were crap because it was for everyone, leaving the minority of people who actually knew who Colin McRae was out in the cold. Dirt rally is an apology letter to THE REAL FANS!!! This is the best Racing game ever made IMHO and Forza, Driveclub and PCARS can go stick it up there arses. People also seem to forget that Rally is totally different to circuit racing and the fact that codies made this game with the COMMUNITY!!! They now have confidence to make MORE simulation games. SO those people who adored The previous dirt games should either stop WAH WAH WAH about it, either persevere or go back to forza. Rant over- FYI- most of the community knows that this game is the sequel to the PS1 Colin McRae games, not Dirt. 

Tweak the control settings, experiment with the car setups and practice a bit more. Or give up and play Forza, where you can drive 400 cars that all handle the same.

Speaking as one of the social leppers without a job, spending hours on the game makes no difference whatsoever...

Before im labelled as a sponger by Johnnyhotrocks, im a full time Dad who runs a home with a chronic medical condition...and I dont claim a penny for it

Rally racing is hard. The fact that we can "recover" a vehicle that you've lost control of into the woods is pretty forgiving, methinks. In real life, your rally'd be over...

I agree that like rally, the game is unforgiving, as it should be.

I don't agree that it should be changed, and would encourage you to rise to the challenge. It's worth it.

Speaking as one of the social leppers without a job, spending hours on the game makes no difference whatsoever...

Before im labelled as a sponger by Johnnyhotrocks, im a full time Dad who runs a home with a chronic medical condition...and I dont claim a penny for it
Well try this one if its a competition, incurable Leukemia  daily chemo to try keep it at bay,with a heart condition due to the cancer treatment,  full time dad and still work  as i don't take government handouts either yet the bills need to be paid.
And can only spare a few hours a day on gaming as chemo severally messes with your concentration, then add in daily pains that come with 30+ bonemarrows that dont let up even for a second....so unlike most on this site, it just not physically possible to put hour upon hour of practice in.
No Biggie to want to enjoy a rally game before the c finally decides to win, but i get it you lot rather have it all your own way and feck the not so gifted gamers experience.

I lost both my parents to cancer before i was twenty five...thats rough man.

I'm not a gifted gamer by any means, but i do appreciate having to push past my limits to shave off a few seconds. The first time i won a season was because the ai made a mistake...im still to win a championship outright.
Correct me if im wrong but codies marketed this game as a serious sim from the get go. If you are a casual gamer then it isnt meant for you, but for the 50% of the community who spent four games whining about how dumbed down it was - the shoe is on the other foot as it were.
Codies cant please everyone, so the casual gamers will just have to wait for Dirt 4 or whatever comes next.

I lost both my parents to cancer before i was twenty five...thats rough man.

I'm not a gifted gamer by any means, but i do appreciate having to push past my limits to shave off a few seconds. The first time i won a season was because the ai made a mistake...im still to win a championship outright.
Correct me if im wrong but codies marketed this game as a serious sim from the get go. If you are a casual gamer then it isnt meant for you, but for the 50% of the community who spent four games whining about how dumbed down it was - the shoe is on the other foot as it were.
Codies cant please everyone, so the casual gamers will just have to wait for Dirt 4 or whatever comes next.
Why couldn't they cater for both, thats what im trying to say.
It wouldn be that hard for them to keep the way it is now but patch in a slightly easier "top 3 racers" time wise in a new difficulty setting.
I dont want them to take away the handling as it is now, i dont want that rewind bollocks either, and i dont want a win handed to me on a plate, but i wouldn't mind that top 3 occasionally messing up so maybe we just might nab the odd championship win.
Not once in even open level have i seen the top 3 screw up, not one puncture, they obviously never wrapped the car around a tree, had a wheel pop, slip in a ditch,clipped a fence,over did a drift.
If its all about realism then shouldn't these guys make the odd feck up?

I to  appreciate having to push past my limits to shave off a few seconds, take the hillclimb on pikes peak, i went from 13mins to 11mins and now regularly getting in the 10mins something but open seems to always  late 9mins.
Just not sure i can get anymore out of the 405 LOL.
Rallies i was always coming in  4th and 5th regularly but nows its 3rd and 4th with the odd 2nd (did nab a few 1sts but those are in custom rallys), but like a broke record PERFECT run or nothing as the  top AI will be putting those in seems harsh even for a sim.

Second and third positions for me....not to good on rallycross yet and haven't attempted hillclimb.

The key to winning is consistency...and the ai do make mistakes, particually in the upper classes during the longer stages - my solo rally win can attest to that. :)

I clicked agree as it is unforgiving but that is what makes it so damn rewarding when you improve and get better and better times and don't make as many mistakes.

It is realism over arcade, I played Dirt 3 the other day for the first time since DR came out, just can't play it anymore. There is no challenge in it compared.

Would be great if you could jump back into the car at any point in the replay!
a sorta `this is what i shoulda done` feature.

In my opinion the game is too forgiving.. flying off at pikes peak 280 km/h and all you get is a 15 second time penalty.. Or going 200 km/h straight into a tree and your car only get's slightly damaged..  We need more mechanical faults, and parts breaking easier. There are a couple of hardcore damage mod but installing them means that you can't connect to racenet and the game won't save any progress or changes..

That would be great if there would be possibility to change physics and destructions for easier or harder. Harder than now because the game doesn't give and opportunity to feel like in real rally car.

Hey, I've seen both sides. Started with the Alpine A110, and did pretty well with it, but tried to be clever and restart with the Mini Cooper. What a mistake - my wheel isn't currently set up so I can't use a few of the techniques to improve cornering. I'm getting spanked - but do I care? Not at all.

I don't understand this poll.  If I agree the game is unforgiving, and that makes me like the game more not less (since it's a sim, and driving a car is unforgiving), then how do I vote?