Sign in to follow this  

Is GRID Autosport Really Hard....or is it me??

First of all let me start off by saying I have NEVER played a GRID game before. This is my first GRID game...I had to sign up on the forums to ask some questions.

1.) Is this game really hard...because I find myself getting owned a lot. I am not a hardcore racing game fan - but I have played and put in over 200 hours on both Forza 3 and 4 and I would say about 80 hours on Horizon. I didn't finish first all the time, but I certainly did not get crushed like I am now.

2.) ASSISTS - is it possible having traction control on actually slows you down. The only assist I ever played with in Forza and GRID so far is ABS. I was getting owned so I tried to play with traction control and stability...it seemed to make things WORSE believe it or not.

3.) Of all types of races why is ENDURANCE the hardest...I mean unless I set it to very easy I seem to really get roughed up, particularly in qualifying.

4.) GENERAL DIFFICULTY - I played Forza on Medium all the time right from the get go. (Again, no pro racer here, just enjoy the games as a casual fan). So I started on Medium, didn't even finish...tried it on easy...but I found that was a struggle too. I don't WANT to get first place every time, but I should be able to compete. On Very Easy I finish 1st or 2nd always.

Any ideas why I am having such a hard time in general and a REAL hard time on Endurance...

In an endurance race, tire wear plays a big part. Depending on how hard you drive and push the tires, they wear out towards the end of a race, diminishing your grip. That may be a problem you're facing. As for the difficulty, it seems tough, yeah. Definitely ramped up from Grid 2. I can only speak for myself in saying it's hard sometimes even on lower difficulties.

It is quite hard if you are not used to the likes of Toca and the original Grid, to me it is like slipping on an old pair of shoes that are worn in and comfortable, it is simcade and pack racing and very close.

Best advice I can give you is stick to some lower cars i.e Touring, this is a good place to start and learn the tracks and try and earn some cash, use the loaner cars as it will boost your cash.

On Touring you can run the civic, focus etc with traction off and abs on and all the other stuff off and you will do quite well, if need be use the racing line option and you will find you will get better.

Wait a second what are you talking about Super Charger? Cash? Loaner cars? Is this online stuff because I've only played some career and custom cup...I didn't see anything about cash money lol.

Forza is extremely easy even on the hardest difficulty once you take the best car. Codemasters racing game have the difficulty for the real hardcore players which isn't present on the popular sim.

Some users claim that it is too arcade, but it is less arcade than the popular sim in some way which is quite funny to read. The proper term is indeed simcade, which the car doesn't stick up to number, but the way to race is properly simulated.

Sim doesn't equal to skill, just stick up to number. Simcad isn't easier, just different. You can learn a real race track much faster on a simcad over a sim. it is even possible that a real racecar driver may be more efficient with a simcad over a popular sim.

I think it's a case of just sticking with it and learning all the tracks. There are a lot of different layouts in this game (over 100 apparently) and sometimes it can be hard to learn them all. Maybe try  turning the racing line on and try to learn the tracks that way as there are a lot of layouts and ways around. I wouldn't say it's especially hard sometimes the Ai can be a touch aggressive but that's as much as you get I think

I would also say that GAS seems to have taken the approach that you shouldn't be winning with the beginning teams. The objectives they give to finish mid to rear of the pack are acurrate if you're on the right difficulty. I play on Very Hard and get a little above where they want. I would say go all assists off and really learn that finger control. It'll be super rewarding when you surpass their objectives and start fighting for top fives and eventually wins. And if you really enjoy it there's still higher difficulties to do it all over again in! Basically this game gives you a chance to actually strive for a goal over getting all the trophies you could ask for.

I started on hard and found out pretty early that (with damages on) it's pretty damn hard to get anywhere near the podium with some disciplines. Open wheel was the easiest (for me) but street and endurance just killed me so I had to go down a notch to medium... So I guess I'm saying that the game is indeed hard sometimes but keep driving and it will get easier...

I think this game a little more difficult than others but I like it like that. I play the game on medium but I have traction control on and abs on everything else off. I finished most my games in first or second but I did have the occasional 8 or worse. But try tc on and abs on . also not sure how you race but I'm a late breaker into turns and sometimes that's stupid of me.

I'm playing the game on hard & tried the first race of each discipline so far. It have been easy for me so far. I think I should try out the hardest difficulty. In Grid 2, the AI was a nightmare trying to catch up 1st place. I did nearly a whole season on legend in F1 2012 with the default setup also. It take quite a lot of patience.

I don't assist, because it's easier to feel how the car handle & the limit for me. When you drive no assist it's hard to drive with assist, also it's more fun to play that way.

But the endurance races at least to me are indeed insanely harder than the other categories. 

The AI level also seems to very per racing category, at least for me. In open wheel I am about a second a lap faster then the AI, but in Touring or Street I am roughly a second a lap slower. This may also be due to the fact that open wheel uses the same car for all drivers, and touring / street i could have been in a slower car compared to the leaders.

I second the question of Sandman705: "Wait a second what are you talking about Super Charger? Cash? Loaner cars? Is this online stuff because I've only played some career and custom cup...I didn't see anything about cash money lol."

Game's already insane on hard, like F1. It's exactly the same AI

i hated endurance in Okutama, it's quite hard to keep the lead without at least bonking your car! :)

I think this game a little more difficult than others but I like it like that. I play the game on medium but I have traction control on and abs on everything else off. I finished most my games in first or second but I did have the occasional 8 or worse. But try tc on and abs on . also not sure how you race but I'm a late breaker into turns and sometimes that's stupid of me.
so am I but then I'm used to playing the F1 games and in F1 you can get away with late braking given the way the cars behave. I think that's why I've scored pretty high in the open wheelers as well as they perform similarly. You can't do that unfortunately with the other cars though but then you wouldn't be able to in real life so you have to take it easier with the other cars.

First of all let me start off by saying I have NEVER played a GRID game before. This is my first GRID game...I had to sign up on the forums to ask some questions.

1.) Is this game really hard...because I find myself getting owned a lot. I am not a hardcore racing game fan - but I have played and put in over 200 hours on both Forza 3 and 4 and I would say about 80 hours on Horizon. I didn't finish first all the time, but I certainly did not get crushed like I am now.

2.) ASSISTS - is it possible having traction control on actually slows you down. The only assist I ever played with in Forza and GRID so far is ABS. I was getting owned so I tried to play with traction control and stability...it seemed to make things WORSE believe it or not.

3.) Of all types of races why is ENDURANCE the hardest...I mean unless I set it to very easy I seem to really get roughed up, particularly in qualifying.

4.) GENERAL DIFFICULTY - I played Forza on Medium all the time right from the get go. (Again, no pro racer here, just enjoy the games as a casual fan). So I started on Medium, didn't even finish...tried it on easy...but I found that was a struggle too. I don't WANT to get first place every time, but I should be able to compete. On Very Easy I finish 1st or 2nd always.

Any ideas why I am having such a hard time in general and a REAL hard time on Endurance...
I Hope Grid autosport has a patch to make it easy

so am I but then I'm used to playing the F1 games and in F1 you can get away with late braking given the way the cars behave. I think that's why I've scored pretty high in the open wheelers as well as they perform similarly. You can't do that unfortunately with the other cars though but then you wouldn't be able to in real life so you have to take it easier with the other cars.
This could be why I like touring and street because of the bumping and stuff that goes on its a little rougher as with the open wheel its touch actors and spin.

fidjnr said:

I Hope Grid autosport has a patch to make it easy

tbh it's not hard I'm playing on Very easy difficulty because my disability makes it hard to play on hard setiings as I'm quite slow to react and on lower settings it's a little easier to make up any lost time due to that. With the driving aids and the AI I'm either winning or competing with the Ravenwest cars in most races in fact in places I'm finding it a tad too easy and tempted to tweak the AI up a notch but I'll stick with things how they are for now and will tweak it up maybe for a later career and see how I get on then for a new challenge.

This could be why I like touring and street because of the bumping and stuff that goes on its a little rougher as with the open wheel its touch actors and spin.
I think that's why I enjoy the Grid and Dirt games too as they offer different racing challenges from the norm because just playing the F1 series can get boring after a while. Whilst they aer fun games to play because they're fully licensed products they don't offer anything different.

Grid Autosport is harder than Grid 2, in Grid 2 I use to play in  VERY HARD and sometimes I was first sometimes second, in GRID Autosport I play HARD and arrive first but if change to VERY HARD no choice to win, I arrive third or fourth.

if you are a Forxa/Gran Turismo player, you will struggle with GRID as the gameplay is completely different.

in GRID Autosport, you have to be more careful with throttle than in GRID 2. Traction Control helps but it will kill you lap times.

other than that, just take it easy. I was cocky enough to start the campaign on Very Hard (thinking it was as easy as GRID 2) and got my ass kicked hard. in the end, had to go back to Medium and now I can race easily on Hard but it takes a while until you get used to different cars and tracks.

Endurance is hard but Open Wheel can be unforgiving too.

Darhour said:
i hated endurance in Okutama, it's quite hard to keep the lead without at least bonking your car! :)
Okutama is a hard track one of the hardest in the game I'd say to master I don't like the Endurance races there either. I really struggle there but then it can't all be easy there's always  tracks where you're likely to struggle in most racing games though. For example in the F1 games I'd say Monaco and Suzuka are generally tracks I struggle with sometimes I struggle with Spain (Catalunya) as well.

@Sandman705 :

If you played Forza games a lot with an Xbox 360 controller, the CodeMasters racing games (Grid, F1, Dirt, etc.) can feel very different. The different physics & the different response of the controls can really take some getting used to. Plus, there are some tracks in Grid AutoSport that were never in any Forza game, so you're in unfamiliar territory.

It comes with time though. Just keep playing & things will start snapping into place for you. 
If you're playing the single-player career, start by adjusting the AI difficulty level down to its easiest setting, and as you get faster, crank the difficulty up a step at a time.

Personally, I think the Endurance mode in Grid AutoSport is a bit silly with the way it attempts to simulate tire wear (it's like the tires are made of chocolate & melt immediately upon contact with tarmac). I like driving the Endurance-class cars, but to me, they're more fun in normal race modes without the simulated tire wear.

The cash & loaner cars mentioned in previous posts were in reference to the online/multiplayer mode - those elements are not in the single-player career. Oddly, there is no single-player garage, but you have a multiplayer garage you can buy cars for, and you can use those cars in multiplayer lobbies. You earn online credits to buy cars by participating in multiplayer lobbies & RaceNet Challenges. After you buy a car, the car earns XP & levels-up as you race it, which unlocks upgrades & tuning options for that car over time. If you haven't bought a car that fits the requirements for a particular multiplayer lobby, you drive a "loaner" car that can't be upgraded or tuned.

Good luck & have fun.

...Edit... I just realized the OP was resurrected from July 1. :neutral_face:

racrguy66 said:
I agree that if you use TC it will KILL your lap  times as it works like  brake to keep the car from sliding when you try to  put power down. However I leave ABS on because I cant use brakes without them locking. But you do have to learn to feather the throttle, for if you dont you will spin around alot.
technically, TC doesn't work as a break. it will simply limit the amount of throttle that goes into the wheels :)

I use ABS too but had to race some Custom Cups with No Assists and it was quite rewarding to learn that I can break without locking my wheels

I will admit the game is hard, very. 

When I first came to grid games it was with grid 2 and adjusting to Grid auto sport was very hard..... I was very slow and still am slow compared to fastest racers in the multiplayer section. 

As for assists, i use none apart from ABS, i find all assists slow you down, even ABS. I use it out of convenience more than anything.
I find that TC limits the amount of of throttle you can use on the exits of corners which kills your acceleration and exit speed, this also kills the speed of your start from the grid line as the TC does not want to spin the wheels up and results in a slow/poor start.
The racing line is pretty useless as the braking points the game gives you is wrong, you can almost always brake later than what the game tells you is possible, following that line useful if you don't know the track but that's about it, I would not trust it too much as in a racing situation the racing line wont always be available to use so you need to learn other lines around corners to be able to overtake efficiently. Same goes for the braking assist, can always brake later than what the game says is possible so don't bother with them.

Well, what I'm saying is, if you turn all the assists off you will have full control of the car with nothing but yourself slowing the car down, if you learn to control the car properly, mastering throttle control and learning when the best braking points are and all that racing jazz, you can set much much faster lap times than what the assists would ever allow you to do.

Hope that helps a little. I was struggling at first too, :)