DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×
GRID Season 3 - Coming April 15th Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Is GRID Autosport Really Hard....or is it me??

i think yall are smoking crack My Grid AI is super over aggressive i cant get a good lap time when theyre on the track. Now since everyone gives there little bit ill give mine. 
Generally any game i play i turn all assists off accept ABS i love just waiting till the last second to brake. Now ive played Shift 2 , F1 2012-13, Dirt 3, driver, forza 3-5 / horizon 2 And like any need for speed you can think of. Plus ive messed around with handling lines and such for GTA SA so i understand how physics work.
Now my problem... I never played a Grid game b4 this is my first one.  Being so good at other games and tuning my car to perfection etc etc. ive killed the competion so i turned grid on hard. went into the tuner section, open wheel and found the game abit to easy and amped it up to very hard. than it wasent the ai in the race i found hard to beat it was beating there qualifiying times so i went back to hard after about level 3-4 in each category. and than i started noticing something my back end just love to spin out in muscle cars. but i quickly learned how to deal with that.  Doesnt sound to bad now right?
So heres were it gets intresting. i avoided going to endurance racing. i hate going around the track 20 millons times for 1 race we race the same tracks enough i also thought that the races would be atleast 20 minutes long.

So i noticed my tires sorta were away like they were rolled up Velcro u know tearing off every meter more i drove. From playing F1 games they may not have the best tire wear. but that is just stupid 8 times around a track and ur riding rims pretty much

Which brings me to another thing. Now the muscle cars i could deal with these cars why the hell is it everytime i get into 2 gear i find myself facing the wrong way on the track. and if not im sitting there pumping the gas and falling behind. O WHICH FINALLY BRINGS ME TO TTHE BEST THING which ive come to the conclusion of which is one of these 3

1: You Gotta rip it around the corner as fast as you can or the AI RAMS YOU LIKE THE MOTHERF*CKER DIDNT KNOW WHAT BREAKS WAS.
2: You slow Down for the corner , and try n go nicely. WELL SHIT THERES THE AI RAMMING U SO BAD FOR NO REASON.
3: You try and go around the corner with the AI. He fights you for the spot on the line, but its not like you can fight back his car weights like 10000 pounds urs is 20. than u give em room 2 go to wide on a corner and the fucker ethier breaks stupidly on the inside of the corner u ram him. or goes to far out he pushes u off the track IMO WORST AI IVE DELT WITH  and to make it clear

THE AI in GRID:AUTOSPORT is WORSE than the TRAFFIC in GRAND THEFT AUTO GAMES.

Now if anyone can tell me how to friggin make a turn in an endurance car without getting rammed or spinning out. you know comment below but yea thats it. lmao

First of all let me start off by saying I have NEVER played a GRID game before. This is my first GRID game...I had to sign up on the forums to ask some questions.

1.) Is this game really hard...because I find myself getting owned a lot. I am not a hardcore racing game fan - but I have played and put in over 200 hours on both Forza 3 and 4 and I would say about 80 hours on Horizon. I didn't finish first all the time, but I certainly did not get crushed like I am now.

2.) ASSISTS - is it possible having traction control on actually slows you down. The only assist I ever played with in Forza and GRID so far is ABS. I was getting owned so I tried to play with traction control and stability...it seemed to make things WORSE believe it or not.

3.) Of all types of races why is ENDURANCE the hardest...I mean unless I set it to very easy I seem to really get roughed up, particularly in qualifying.

4.) GENERAL DIFFICULTY - I played Forza on Medium all the time right from the get go. (Again, no pro racer here, just enjoy the games as a casual fan). So I started on Medium, didn't even finish...tried it on easy...but I found that was a struggle too. I don't WANT to get first place every time, but I should be able to compete. On Very Easy I finish 1st or 2nd always.

Any ideas why I am having such a hard time in general and a REAL hard time on Endurance...

I usually play on medium and finish mid to top of the pack.  On hard & very hard I finish much lower.  A lot like real life I suppose.  But I tend to be a very cautious or courteous driver. 

Everyone is different.  But as said in the posts in this thread, track knowledge is key.  The more you know the tracks the better.  The AI many times act like "drunken idiots" but that isn't as bad as the public lobbies where the "human drivers" slam you into the wall, etc and give a lame apology.  I just steer clear of the AI.  So I don't win many races but enjoy the game experience.  Although I suppose if I ever get to the point where I was winning races consistently on very hard I doubt it would get boring.

I'm obviously a few months late to the conversation but yes this game is hard. I've been playing racing sims since a game called Duel for super nintendo. Thatwasthe 1 1st game I'm aware of that offered manual transmission as an option cuz super nintendo were the 1st controllers with an L & R button. Anyhow, as the controllers have evolved I've always kept that base configuration of X as throttle square as brake, shift up & down on L1 & R1. I have never came across a racing game of any kind that i couldn't master with that setup until autosport. It's impossible to corner in a rear wheel drive. I have a good steering wheel but I'm too lazy to use it. So, after 20+ years of gaming with same configuration I'm having to relearn how to drive. Grid & grid 2 have me no problems whatsoever & the only driver aid i ever use is anti lock & flashback. Trying to drive now, for me, is like someone changing thehometyrow keys on your keyboard & expecting you to know how to type. Reallyfrustratingafter really enjoying the 1 1st two grids & dirts & most codie games. Btw, don't know what's up with this forum but sorry about all the typos. It's adding letters & taking out spaces & it won't let me correct them.

Using R2 for throttle and L2 for brake makes a huge difference imo and that is coming from someone who played countless hours of Grand Turismo 3 and 4 with X as throttle. It is far easier to control the power pressure with the triggers and also a lot kinder on the hands.

@Sandman705‌  hi mate. Il be honest I would say that it's you for now, obviously your used to straight up simulation games, it's all about finding the lines and getting a feel for the game.  I was like that when I recently switched to forza 5. I used a lot of swear words before I actually understood the game and  how to play it. Find it really enjoyable now :)

SeaDawg said:
I'm obviously a few months late to the conversation but yes this game is hard. I've been playing racing sims since a game called Duel for super nintendo. Thatwasthe 1 1st game I'm aware of that offered manual transmission as an option cuz super nintendo were the 1st controllers with an L & R button. Anyhow, as the controllers have evolved I've always kept that base configuration of X as throttle square as brake, shift up & down on L1 & R1. I have never came across a racing game of any kind that i couldn't master with that setup until autosport. It's impossible to corner in a rear wheel drive. I have a good steering wheel but I'm too lazy to use it. So, after 20+ years of gaming with same configuration I'm having to relearn how to drive. Grid & grid 2 have me no problems whatsoever & the only driver aid i ever use is anti lock & flashback. Trying to drive now, for me, is like someone changing thehometyrow keys on your keyboard & expecting you to know how to type. Reallyfrustratingafter really enjoying the 1 1st two grids & dirts & most codie games. Btw, don't know what's up with this forum but sorry about all the typos. It's adding letters & taking out spaces & it won't let me correct them.
What you've got is a binary throttle control. It's like driving a car by either having your foot full on or full off the accelerator. This would be possible, but very difficult in real life ?

If you move the throttle to R2 then you get analog control which allows you to progressively apply the throttle out of corners. There are some cars that if you don't do this then the back end will spin out - it makes a big difference. In fact the travel on R2/L2 is pretty small on a PS3 controller, so it takes some practice and fine work on the throttle control to do this, but it is possible.

I know there are some guys out there who can work wonders with the keyboard (we have seen the vids on here), but my guess is that in order to achieve the same times as an analog throttle they need to press the throttle control on off pretty fast to try to simulate an analog control. Plus they might go to a higher gear when accelerating out of the corner to reduce the chance of the back end spinning out.

Stabilty control will slow you down a bit because the car is trying to get you around the corner in the safest way possible so turn that off. Tracition Control is fine, it will not affect your perfomance or speed. Traction Control helps with keeping your wheels from spinning out and if one of your wheels gos into the grass it will try to make up for it. I have traction control turned on because I use a wheel and its really quick, Traction Control doesn't slow me down at all. The difficulty LVL I have set is Medium. Medium difficulty is a nice balance between the AI keeping up with you and trying to overtake. You can still make a gap but the AI can still catch you. Those are my favorite settings and it makes GAS a fun and challenging racer. Its way more fun then Forza 5 because Forza 5 is easy.

@dirt3joe‌ I wasn't clear in my comment & didn't mention that how you advised is exactly how i have my controller configured. Throttle & brake is fine but it's shifting with something other than L1/R1 that's tripping me up. I saw the sun come up this morning, however, & got a little better. Lol. I tried leaving the shifters alone & just moving the throttle/brake to the 2's but i found it awkward & uncomfortable. So i just ran a bunch of laps on automatic until throttle/brake was muscle memory & added square & X as shift up & down. I'm getting there but will be awhile until i don't have to consciously think about the controller. Until then laps, laps, laps. I made a huge mistake by going from touring car to endurance. I'm already committed to a race i don't wanna lose so right now it's all about gaining throttle sensitivity in my dinner instead of my thumb & learning how to manage tires in this particular game. They fall off fast after about 5 minutes. I appreciate the advice tho & I'm glad i found this forum. It's awesome.

@gor‌ I would love to play a real sim but i am, however, strictly a console gamer. I'm not really a techie & do not enjoy using a PC for something other than business. I like the convenience of plug & play. Also, i have a good life & if i started playing on a PC I'd probably end up playing WOW & other similar games & my good life would evaporate. Lmao. So until such a time they offer actual sims (probably never) on a console, sim/cade games is about as realistic as i can get.

SeaDawg said:
@gor‌ I would love to play a real sim but i am, however, strictly a console gamer. I'm not really a techie & do not enjoy using a PC for something other than business. I like the convenience of plug & play. Also, i have a good life & if i started playing on a PC I'd probably end up playing WOW & other similar games & my good life would evaporate. Lmao. So until such a time they offer actual sims (probably never) on a console, sim/cade games is about as realistic as i can get.
I guess you are right at some point)
Its is so bad we should sacrifice something we want to something we must :(

SeaDawg said:

I use the right analog stick for my throttle and brake.  It works for me because I don't have to hold any buttons down for an extended period of time.  Just quick presses for the shift functions, e brake etc.  Went over to them after my fingers started giving me problems (slight carpal tunnel issue, I guess.)  A guy named smallhorses over at GTPlanet years ago recommended it.

oldmodelt said:
I use the right analog stick for my throttle and brake.
Its better to use brake separate from throttle axis.
You lost time when finger goes up and down.
I prefere use down axis on left stick with deadzone ~20(coz when you steering you can braking a bit, lose time and even do not know about it =) ).
You can try use something begind pad.

gor said:
oldmodelt said:
I prefere use down axis on left stick with deadzone ~20(coz when you steering you can braking a bit, lose time and even do not know about it =) ).

You really need to read what posts you are commenting on. In my post I explained why I use my current controller setup. You then proceeded to tell me I'm doing it wrong. Wrong for you maybe. But it's right for me. Everyone is different. My post DID NOT ask for advice (which you chose to give) on a controller setup.

I do it any other way my fingers hurt.  So the choice is to use my setup or play the game less.  What would you do?  Hmmm.  Wait until you start pushing 60.  lol.

oldmodelt said:
gor said:
oldmodelt said:

You really need to read what posts you are commenting on. In my post I explained why I use my current controller setup. You then proceeded to tell me I'm doing it wrong. Wrong for you maybe. But it's right for me. Everyone is different. My post DID NOT ask for advice (which you chose to give) on a controller setup.

I do it any other way my fingers hurt.  So the choice is to use my setup or play the game less.  What would you do?  Hmmm.  Wait until you start pushing 60.  lol.
I did not blame or said you are wrong.
Just said what is better for speed.
I do not know about your pain or about freedom area when you move fingers, but i was sure that you can use 1 finger on left hand for steering and braking. As i understand you cannot hold buttons down. So my advice is not forcing you to do hold something.
If i am wrong - im sorry. I just allways trying to give advice... Its my problem, im annoying and boring person, lol.
Peace.

gor said:
oldmodelt said:
gor said:
oldmodelt said:

I did not blame or said you are wrong.
Just said what is better for speed.
I do not know about your pain or about freedom area when you move fingers, but i was sure that you can use 1 finger on left hand for steering and braking. As i understand you cannot hold buttons down. So my advice is not forcing you to do hold something.
If i am wrong - im sorry. I just allways trying to give advice... Its my problem, im annoying and boring person, lol.
Peace.

No worries.  I use the left analog stick for steering.  The right for acc/brake.  The right & left R1 buttons for the up & downshift.  The right trigger (R2) for the e brake.  No long button holding and I'm good to go for hours if need be.  I probably over reacted too.  My apologies.

i think yall are smoking crack My Grid AI is super over aggressive i cant get a good lap time when theyre on the track. Now since everyone gives there little bit ill give mine. 
Generally any game i play i turn all assists off accept ABS i love just waiting till the last second to brake. Now ive played Shift 2 , F1 2012-13, Dirt 3, driver, forza 3-5 / horizon 2 And like any need for speed you can think of. Plus ive messed around with handling lines and such for GTA SA so i understand how physics work.
Now my problem... I never played a Grid game b4 this is my first one.  Being so good at other games and tuning my car to perfection etc etc. ive killed the competion so i turned grid on hard. went into the tuner section, open wheel and found the game abit to easy and amped it up to very hard. than it wasent the ai in the race i found hard to beat it was beating there qualifiying times so i went back to hard after about level 3-4 in each category. and than i started noticing something my back end just love to spin out in muscle cars. but i quickly learned how to deal with that.  Doesnt sound to bad now right?
So heres were it gets intresting. i avoided going to endurance racing. i hate going around the track 20 millons times for 1 race we race the same tracks enough i also thought that the races would be atleast 20 minutes long.

So i noticed my tires sorta were away like they were rolled up Velcro u know tearing off every meter more i drove. From playing F1 games they may not have the best tire wear. but that is just stupid 8 times around a track and ur riding rims pretty much

Which brings me to another thing. Now the muscle cars i could deal with these cars why the hell is it everytime i get into 2 gear i find myself facing the wrong way on the track. and if not im sitting there pumping the gas and falling behind. O WHICH FINALLY BRINGS ME TO TTHE BEST THING which ive come to the conclusion of which is one of these 3

1: You Gotta rip it around the corner as fast as you can or the AI RAMS YOU LIKE THE MOTHERF*CKER DIDNT KNOW WHAT BREAKS WAS.
2: You slow Down for the corner , and try n go nicely. WELL SHIT THERES THE AI RAMMING U SO BAD FOR NO REASON.
3: You try and go around the corner with the AI. He fights you for the spot on the line, but its not like you can fight back his car weights like 10000 pounds urs is 20. than u give em room 2 go to wide on a corner and the fucker ethier breaks stupidly on the inside of the corner u ram him. or goes to far out he pushes u off the track IMO WORST AI IVE DELT WITH  and to make it clear

Now if anyone can tell me how to friggin make a turn in an endurance car without getting rammed or spinning out. you know comment below but yea thats it. lmao
Throttle control is king in GAS endurance, enter the corner at the right speed (In other words brake a bit early), NEVER use more than 60-70% throttle in ANY corner, on exit wait till the car begins to straighten out before GENTLY increasing the GAS. Most importantly avoid ANY Tyre squeal to save the grip for later in the race.

Listen to the throttle in this vid i made when I got early access to the game in May.

http://youtu.be/mn1sr0ca4HI

You can hear me feathering the throttle in high speed corners, more and more as the race goes on, also lifting off and coasting, all these things make for a cleaner line, faster laptimes and more importantly saves your tyres

With regards to the AI? It's really quite simple, don't ever touch any of them and they race clean, if you DO rear end someone don't pass them, let them recover and then pass.kinda like this.

http://youtu.be/2P4_-BDfidU

I was the lucky gamer playing GAS before it was launched, during that time there was an update for the AI, I made a comment to Loore about the AI

"I'm liking the AI's responses as it's always pushing you, it also seems to respond in kind to, lets say, "over exuberant" contact to pass scenarios. Twice I think now I've had an AI driver I thumped return the favour the next time we met up in that race."

The response I got contained this comment.

"
Hey 
Sounds like you're having a good time with the game, awesome to hear 

That's right, an AI driver will retaliate if you knock them around a bit!"

So in a race, series or cup, aggressively hit an AI driver and pass them and, given any opportunity, they'll return the favour.....

Throttle control is king in GAS endurance, enter the corner at the right speed (In other words brake a bit early), NEVER use more than 60-70% throttle in ANY corner, on exit wait till the car begins to straighten out before GENTLY increasing the GAS. Most importantly avoid ANY Tyre squeal to save the grip for later in the race.

Listen to the throttle in this vid i made when I got early access to the game in May.

http://youtu.be/mn1sr0ca4HI

You can hear me feathering the throttle in high speed corners, more and more as the race goes on, also lifting off and coasting, all these things make for a cleaner line, faster laptimes and more importantly saves your tyres

With regards to the AI? It's really quite simple, don't ever touch any of them and they race clean, if you DO rear end someone don't pass them, let them recover and then pass.kinda like this.

http://youtu.be/2P4_-BDfidU

I was the lucky gamer playing GAS before it was launched, during that time there was an update for the AI, I made a comment to Loore about the AI

"I'm liking the AI's responses as it's always pushing you, it also seems to respond in kind to, lets say, "over exuberant" contact to pass scenarios. Twice I think now I've had an AI driver I thumped return the favour the next time we met up in that race."

The response I got contained this comment.

"
Hey 
Sounds like you're having a good time with the game, awesome to hear 

That's right, an AI driver will retaliate if you knock them around a bit!"

So in a race, series or cup, aggressively hit an AI driver and pass them and, given any opportunity, they'll return the favour.....

Yes the AI will occasionally tick me off.  But it usually because of something I did.  Like trying to fit into a space the size of a breadbox.  I stay away from them and they usually behave quite nice.  Some times better than humans who slam me every which way then give me a half assed apology like "I'm sorry" for the 23rd time.  lol.