Sign in to follow this  

Wow!

Have come from F1 2015 and project cars driving with a G29, consider myself a pretty good sim racer and WOW this game kicked my ass and slapped me purple!

I know it's been said time and time again but, for anyone struggling with it, give it a few hours and it will reward you more than any game I have ever played, ever (and I started with a zx81) . The resulting airpunch from placing first on a stage after many frustrating hours of disappearing over cliffs nearly dislocated my shoulder.

Thank gawd assetto corsa for ps4 was delayed as this would have passed me by completely. This is not just the best rally game I've ever played, it's the best racer

What a game, joined the forum specifically to say massive congrats and thanks to the codies for my new favourite racer :-)

I agree it's one hell of a game codies have done an amazing job. Project cars hasn't been out of my ps4 since last may i was addicted but now Dirt is my new Love, The only time i'll be jumping on pcars now is when i fancy racing multiplayer, If codies add online rally stages then dirt will be staying in my ps4 for quite some time.

Always cool seeing positive response from new players in regards to the difficulty. I have a little over 200 hours logged and I still get super pumped when I win on Master difficulty with a clean stage. It's definitely been the most rewarding racing game I've ever played, hands down. There's always room for improvement and you can really tell when you're getting better, it's a great feeling.

I'm a long way from completing the perfect stage but even just stringing a couple of perfect corners together is amazing. 

I tend to find on stuff like project cars it takes me a few hours or days to get 99% of the way towards nailing the perfect lap and from that point on, the final 1% just becomes frustrating and so the challenge from there just comes down to hitting the 99% consistently over a multi lap race. It's still a great feeling but nothing like the adrenaline kick from this.

Will stop fawning now lol

I find it funny how you say you have played all these racing games and say this one is the best racer I would also agree from playing the original dirt to ,GranTurismo to Forza I feel this game has the best physics the most realistic physics it is just one hell of a intense adrenaline racer. Outstanding game but lacks racing modes and tracks and a few more cars 

Its a good game as far as the driving goes but the lack of content is a joke.

ick said:
That doesn't bother me massively as I've mostly ignored career mode in project cars, I just do single races a lot.
whats the ai like in it? Have heard it's not as good as pc and a bit "procession" like?

MartyBook said:
ick said:
That doesn't bother me massively as I've mostly ignored career mode in project cars, I just do single races a lot.
whats the ai like in it? Have heard it's not as good as pc and a bit "procession" like?

AI is "okay" now, but ACs main selling point for many is it's suitability for organized leagues and cruising/hotlapping.

The AI has a lot of problems. They're constantly trying to rework AI driving lines and their avoidance so they don't ram you off the road. The graphics aren't very good, the optimization is laughable, a lot of new issues brought about with 1.5. I used to get 60-70 fps and no pop in of any kind, they just had some update drop with a bunch of issues, then a hotfix patch. I now get about 45 fps and the track side objects are popping in about 150m in front of me. They don't let you view the forum without registering your game through steam, so you have to own the game, you can't just check out the forums before you buy, and they've been getting fairly ban happy lately. Their going the way of PCars. Except for hot lapping PCars is usually more stable, better optimized and better graphics. So I get about 60 FPS in PCars and it doesn't micro stutter all the time like AC. Even if I play in single screen on my 144hz monitor it never seems that smooth, it freezes frames and it's just really bad, and that's running at like 90FPS. PCars at a lower framerate feels a lot smoother. The game is currently $45, has 52 cars, many of which are like, Lotus Exige, Exige S, Exige Coupe. A lot of Lotus..Loti? and 12 locations. Silverstone, Monza, Vallelunga, and Nurburg have a few variations. But that's not Nordshcliefe, if you want that, it's another $10. I think it's the only dream pack worth getting because of that. I could go on, but I'm getting late for work. Basically, it's expensive, it's got low playable content, it's missing features, it's buggy, and the DLC was released while the game was in Alpha. The only real reason to get it on PC is mod support, which consoles won't have.

As going back to the AI, some AI lines work with specific AI difficulty, with specific cars, at specific track settings. If those don't line up, the AI will go off road or slam into you. OH, one more thing that really annoys me, the game can't handle steep inclines. So if you hit a 45 degree hillside, you'll clip through fall through the earth, and reset at the pits. The Kunos maps are usually pretty good at avoiding that, but for long hillclimb tracks, it makes them unplayabe because there's no reset to track.

So in short, I may have had a lucky break with it being delayed on console then by the sounds! 
(1) avoided sucky AC  conversion and (2) discover dirt rally :)

MartyBook said:
So in short, I may have had a lucky break with it being delayed on console then by the sounds! 
have you ever played any dirt game? I played the first one and was a fan for life

I have to agree. I've been a frustrated racer on Project Cars, messing for hours with ffb settings, losing said settings countless times with updates & constant glitches appearing, the last of which kept fetching the menu up when I turned right :/ I was expecting Dirt Rally to have similar issues but I'm delighted to say it's almost perfect, straight out of the box. So I haven't spent hours messing with settings as expected, I've spent hours trying to master the game & having one hell of a blast doing it. Yes it's frustrating but the rewards from a clean stage are immense. I love this game & Codemasters for bringing it to fruition, so a big thank you to all involved

MartyBook said:
have you ever played any dirt game? I played the first one and was a fan for life
I've always been a track sort of a guy must admit and, although I've played a couple of rally titles down the years, I've never 'clicked' with them up till now. 

its the the improvisation of the driving thats clicked with me now I think, on track based stuff you know the line and unless you're going for a pass and sling one up the inside that line never changes (dependent on the car of course). With this, you can know the course off by heart and of course there's an optimum route through each stage but I don't think I've approached the same corner the same way twice yet and having to make it up as you go along to get through each corner is intoxicating. Seems far less parrot fashion driving by numbers 

Eadie71 said:
I have to agree. I've been a frustrated racer on Project Cars, messing for hours with ffb settings, losing said settings countless times with updates & constant glitches appearing, the last of which kept fetching the menu up when I turned right :/ I was expecting Dirt Rally to have similar issues but I'm delighted to say it's almost perfect, straight out of the box. So I haven't spent hours messing with settings as expected, I've spent hours trying to master the game & having one hell of a blast doing it. Yes it's frustrating but the rewards from a clean stage are immense. I love this game & Codemasters for bringing it to fruition, so a big thank you to all involved
Well, with my recent AC issues I decided to go back and try PCars again, and it wasn't great. Maybe your on console? But I recemmond look up Jack Spades tweaker files if you haven't, and the baseline wheel FFB values thread. It's a bit of a pain, but if you actually read through those two posts (Just the original ones) You'll get an understanding of how the FFB works, and honestly, it feels really good now. With Jacks tweaker files you can jump in any car and drive, and the wheel values will make sure your wheel is giving linear feedback. I'd suggest using the force curve modifier instead of the spreadsheet, it's easier, quicker, and more accurate. In all honesty, I kind of wish the wheel feedback settings they have become commonplace in sims, because once you understand how it all works, it makes 100% total sense. The per car FFB is still irritating though, but Jack takes care of that.

I was getting bored with pCARS' continued bugs and glitches. Got interested in GTA5 for a short while because there were limited options for driving/racing games on PS4 and the demo for Seb Loeb Rally wasn't really gripping me. 
Decided to give DiRT Rally a go whilst waiting for AC and GT sport/7 to release....... All I can say is WOW !!!! I've played a few other DiRT titles, but this one is just something else. 
Thanks Codies, now I've got to buy another TH8A just to use as a handbrake cos this disc ain't going anywhere for a good long while

thegt500 said:
Decided to give DiRT Rally a go whilst waiting for AC and GT sport/7 to release....... All I can say is WOW !!!! I've played a few other DiRT titles, but this one is just something else. 
Snap! Looked at this and AC and had decided to wait for AC as the release date was later this month so bought this as a filler once it was announced AC was delayed. Boy am I glad it was! (I'm assuming ps4 as you mention GT7)