Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirt Rally "Online"

Am I the only one who is totally and completely disappointed with Dirt Rally Online. Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 are hands down the most fun online racers to have ever been made. We had online rally, rallycross, stadium trucks, can't remember what it is called but the head to heads to where half the people were on one side of the track and the other half was on the other side ( the one where in the snow had that big hill to go up or down), we had team racing.  I'm a believer in of its not broke don't fix it. I love the Dirt Series but I feel like I have wasted $60. Don't get me wrong...the rally cars and racing on the offline is great. Great feel and great tracks.  The rallycross cars are a little bit of a joke handling wise, but I can deal with that. I guarantee Codemasters sales on this game won't touch Dirt 2 or Dirt 3 sales. Idk....I'm just really really let down. This past Monday night I couldn't sleep because all I thought about was going to get the new dirt the next day. I'm really hoping they can somehow and do somehow make the online like what we used to have. I'm almost depressed because those days aren't around anymore. I raced Dirt 3 until I was the last one online and them went to Grid 2 .  Anyways....am I the only one who misses Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 online?     Should they release a Dirt 3 for PS4 and XBOX1?

You're not alone, I was gutted when I heard multiplayer wouldn't be a real thing.  Stops this from becoming one of the great games imo.

I'm with you aswell..
The more content the better. I hope they release updates with rally mp.

I'm getting tired of seeing these posts every time I log on here. So I'll keep ot short. The game engine cant handle multiple cars on track. Therefore the game cant do online rally.
Use the search function if you want a more detailed explenation.

Rather than a simple rehash of DiRT 3, DiRT Rally has taken a new direction as a more hardcore rally sim and many of us are really happy with that decision and judging by the reviews it is meeting a great reception. A lot of us have been waiting a long time for a successor to RBR and the older CM titles.

Games need to appeal to the masses not a small group of hardcore players.

I am so disapointed with this game 6 tracks and no online wtf. 

I dont want to be on the track at the same time just set times against others in a lobby. Not just keep setting times for a leader board. In a lobby anyone can make a mistake which makes it more fun.

I agree, I really expected online rally stages when i bought the game hope something can be done about it, It's still a great game. Three of my mates and my brother were going to buy the game until they found out about no online rallying so instead of us racing on dirt most nights it's going to be project cars shame because i would rather be playing this .

CAMELCARP said:
Am I the only one who is totally and completely disappointed with Dirt Rally Online. Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 are hands down the most fun online racers to have ever been made. We had online rally, rallycross, stadium trucks, can't remember what it is called but the head to heads to where half the people were on one side of the track and the other half was on the other side ( the one where in the snow had that big hill to go up or down), we had team racing.  I'm a believer in of its not broke don't fix it. I love the Dirt Series but I feel like I have wasted $60. Don't get me wrong...the rally cars and racing on the offline is great. Great feel and great tracks.  The rallycross cars are a little bit of a joke handling wise, but I can deal with that. I guarantee Codemasters sales on this game won't touch Dirt 2 or Dirt 3 sales. Idk....I'm just really really let down. This past Monday night I couldn't sleep because all I thought about was going to get the new dirt the next day. I'm really hoping they can somehow and do somehow make the online like what we used to have. I'm almost depressed because those days aren't around anymore. I raced Dirt 3 until I was the last one online and them went to Grid 2 .  Anyways....am I the only one who misses Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 online?     Should they release a Dirt 3 for PS4 and XBOX1?
Sadly the reason you (may have) wasted $60 is because you didn't read any of the numerous on line reviews, or look at the online videos that have been out on PC for at least 6 months.

The clue is in the name on this one. Dirt Rally. Not Dirt Stadium Trucks, Dirt Head to Head or even Dirt 4.

I do agree though that Dirt 3 was a great game and I hope that CM will do a Dirt 4 which is more along the lines of Dirt 3.

I hope that next time you manage to do your homework and that the next game you pick up is more in line with your expectations ! 

Why are there so many pretentious comments here?  The feedback for DR in terms of how it plays is great, we pretty much all agree that.  Most of us also know the reason why there's no proper online due to the engine limitations, don't shoot those console players who don't.  I'm also pretty sure that all those in favour of a proper multiplayer would also welcome a graphical performance hit for proper staggered srats rallying - not just some daily leaderboards. 

If online multiplayer isn't your thing, don't chastise people for wanting it.  Afterall, its been a staple diet of pretty much every racing game since internet racing began. 

gaski said:
Why are there so many pretentious comments here?  The feedback for DR in terms of how it plays is great, we pretty much all agree that.  Most of us also know the reason why there's no proper online due to the engine limitations, don't shoot those console players who don't.  I'm also pretty sure that all those in favour of a proper multiplayer would also welcome a graphical performance hit for proper staggered srats rallying - not just some daily leaderboards. 

If online multiplayer isn't your thing, don't chastise people for wanting it.  Afterall, its been a staple diet of pretty much every racing game since internet racing began. 
To me there's no issue for people wanting stuff added and that's fine.

But if something is really important to you to have in the game, then  it makes sense to for you to find out before you purchase, not afterwards. This valuable life lesson is given for free.

Pretentious comments? I thought these were simple explanations of why DR is what it is.

If this game cant handle a 1v1 head on like past games then they better start fixing ****
Wow.. Dirt rally uses the same engine as Dirt 3 (an arcade game). This is a lot less arcady than dirt 3, longer and more detailed stages, more detailed cars and the physics are a lot better. The engine simply can't run more than one car on a rally stage at the same time. There have been millions of threads of this, and the game has been out for almost a year now. Do your research.

I wasn't knocking the physics of the game at all. Love the handling and I still support Codemasters and their ability to make really awesome and fun racing games. I am having fun with the rally on this game. As soon as I get home from work everyday I have to get my rally fix in. It's just that after 30 mins I starting wanting some competition and commorodary. So I guess maybe I didn't waste $60 or I probably should have researched the game. There was another thread on here and I can't seem to find it now but it was posted back in September of '15. This guy posted a link to a site to where you could see how many copies of each Dirt game were sold on release and how many people were online average each game and the numbers for Dirt2 and Dirt 3 blew this out of the water. I understand it's a targeted audience. I'm in that audience who wants a rally that can be as realistic as can be. Now I'm going to go get my fix in for the day, it just won't be for hours and hours such as with earlier games. Also i I'm looking for friends to play this game with. 60% of my friends list is from past Dirt games and they have already given up on the game. I have nobody to compare my times with or to race rallycross with. I feel as though I'm a pretty fast racer and a very clean racer. Shoot me an friend request to The__Camel.   There is two underscores in there. Maybe I can enjoy the game more if I can push myself to beat some of your times.

So after numerous hours online playing PC Cars, Forza 6 and getting rammed in the ass or t boned off the track I'm actually okay with the solitude of just me and the track. Nothing like getting pole position only to be knocked off the track on the first turn. I bought it for the Rally portion of the game, I've been watching the videos for months waiting for it to come out I knew what to expect and I really don't care about the Rally Cross aspect to much. This is a Rally simulator. that's what I want. The Rally Cross is just a little bonus for me.

Exactly I bought this game because it was dirt and obviously anybody knows what rally is it's not NASCAR. I just don't see how you couldn't make a separate game mode, they have FIA rallycross which has 4 cars on the screen at the same time why couldn't you make the mode where there's one Car vs one car on a track if you lose your eliminated win you advance like the older versions?  the it cant handle more cars make zero sense why do they have fia with 4 cars on a short track so why not 1v1 This game lacks modes  but a great game.

ick said:
Games need to appeal to the masses not a small group of hardcore players.

I am so disapointed with this game 6 tracks and no online ****. 

I dont want to be on the track at the same time just set times against others in a lobby. Not just keep setting times for a leader board. In a lobby anyone can make a mistake which makes it more fun.
Sorry, what did you call them? Tracks? Thanks for being the one who is proficient at pointing out mistakes.

I've been waiting a long time for this game as for me dirt 3 was by far the best ps3 multiplayer racer. And bought day one as i haven't despite watching all the trailers and alot of preview vids wasn't aware they had not included an online rally mode. 

As an online only gamer this game lasted about an hour and a half as there are only 3 short rally x tracks...   

when you consider seb loeb has all the tracks gps mapped and has a playable online mode i really think codemasters have completely missed the point of a 2016 rally sim,  

and somehow most are seemingly dazzled by the high res graphics into thinking this is a complete game...

I'm only amazed there aren't more journos pointing this out, though it seems most aren't sim racers or online players

Im not an online player but i dont understand the barebones of this game why not add 1-3 more hillclimb places wether real or fake, more fia tracks real or fake, and the mode   head to head would be great even if it was barebones like fia. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VSZOwbnxfng another mode to race in career in atleast

Lmao a fanboy flagged your post. Anyway, I do miss the MP aspect, but the rally portion is just so awesome I don't care as much.

IMO Dirt 2 was the most fun online. Dirt 3 was good too. But sadly the offline on dirt 3 was pretty weak, esp with all the stupid gymkhana crap.

I'm hoping that either through DLC or the next game, more rally cross and perhaps trucks get added in. I doubt we'll get everything this game, but as long as they build from here, hopefully Dirt Rally 2 will be much more multiplayer friendly. I also hope they do something to help the people who aren't as good enjoy the game, so all my friends don't rage quit early like they have with this one.

ccvampyre said:

when you consider seb loeb has all the tracks gps mapped and has a playable online mode i really think codemasters have completely missed the point of a 2016 rally sim, 
It depends what you want from a rally sim, a feature list or something that makes you feel like driving a rally car?

In spite of what we thought a decade or so ago, single player remains far and away the mainstream market. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a decent online rally option but I don't think Codemasters missed the point with their target market.

PaloSamo said:
If it's licenced by FIA then it has to be real, don't you think?                       
What i meant really was rallycross could use more tracks real or fake sponsored or not same with hill climb.

Rather than a simple rehash of DiRT 3, DiRT Rally has taken a new direction as a more hardcore rally sim and many of us are really happy with that decision and judging by the reviews it is meeting a great reception. A lot of us have been waiting a long time for a successor to RBR and the older CM titles.
Nobody is denying they've done great with this game in terms of handling etc, but most people seem blinded by the nice graphics and lovely community interaction which makes CM think its OK to leave proper online rallying out of their titles.  It's not a step I like if future rally titles are going the same way it'll be the last CM game I pay for.

Just to add, I bought the game during first week of EA when there was no mention of online play, I just kind of expected it, as would most gamers who've played online racers for the last decade or so.