Jump to content Jump to content

2014 British Grand Prix

A really enjoyable race!  A nice one for Lewis, but even better for Williams I feel.

It'll be interesting to see whether Vettel ends up losing that place to Alonso, or gets a grid penalty for Germany, given he did clearly go over the track limits after the crucial overtake and gain an advantage imho.  The radio bickering was funny tit-for-tat to listen to.

Fair play to Massa also, superb reactions on his 200th Grand Prix!
fIsince08 said:
AMS97KRR said:
Whoever decides Vettel's tyre strategy needs to be fired immediately.

Great race though, the Alonso-Vettel battle without the complaining was good, didn't even realise they'd be complaining until I watched some stuff on Sky. 

The noise the fans made when Hamilton came round the last corner was insane, great atmosphere, and it was nice to see Lewis win, even though I am not his biggest fan. 
Interesting you say that about the noise. I've watched the 2008 race and you could hear the noise over the loud V8s, yet this time the crowd could be heard over the V6s just as much. As the V6s are quieter, the crowd weren't as loud :(
They were as loud as anything I've heard at Silverstone since I've been (2009-2014). Not much to shout about since 2008 though.

The new engines are not so bad if I am honest, it didn't spoil the race and although the V8's are better, I can't say I thought about that sound much during the race. It was a more comfortable level of noise, you could just about talk to someone while a couple came past. 
I don't mind the noise so much, as long as the racing is quality. Sure I'd love the V8's back, but having actually heard the V6's, I don't think they're awful, certainly better than on TV.
I forgot how loud the V8's were until DC drove the RB8 down the wellington straight on Friday, so loud. 
AMS97KRR said:
Whoever decides Vettel's tyre strategy needs to be fired immediately.

The strategy was fine, just not well executed. The second stop was a little on the average side, and with even a half second gain through that he would've stayed ahead of Alonso out the pits and closed down Button and Ricciardo at a vast rate. He started closing down Button at half a second to a second a lap even after he passed Alonso, which shows how easy it would've been to get 3rd. Oh well, another day. 

AMS97KRR said:
I forgot how loud the V8's were until DC drove the RB8 down the wellington straight on Friday, so loud. 

I feel sorry for anyone who couldn't attend a V10 race. I caught the end of that era by witnessing the 2005 race. They 
were loud, the V8's after that have always seemed a bit tame to me, although still not inconsiderably loud. But obviously now in terms of noise they are made to look brilliant alongside the V6 power units. 
Completely agree with Will Buxton here. 

"For clarity, Alonso complained that Vettel was exceeding track limits to get within DRS detection. Vettel complained about hard racing."
Vettel was complaining about track limits as well. "Another one, another one, another one"
AMS97KRR said:
It's hard to pass someone when your straight line speed is non virtually non existent and it's Alonso in front. I don't know why you'd laugh, it was a great battle.
That isn't an excuse to go off the track though. He went off to get a better run on turn 5, and when he overtook Fernando he went all 4 wheels off on the exit. Not great to see.
I have to say, both sounded so funny when they complained. The difference was: Alonso sounded like a highly emotional grown up, Vettel once again like a highly emotional kid.

But massive respect for both of them, that battle was simply amazing to watch. 2nd best thing in the race after Rosberg retiring for me.
I have to say, both sounded so funny when they complained. The difference was: Alonso sounded like a highly emotional grown up, Vettel once again like a highly emotional kid.

But massive respect for both of them, that battle was simply amazing to watch. 2nd best thing in the race after Rosberg retiring for me.
Wait, are you now complaining about his voice over a crappy radio? Some real petty things being thrown around now.