Jump to content Jump to content

Cheap gloves to prevent blisters?

pEst410

I tend to get blisters in my thumbs, from the rubber on the wheel... Any suggestion of cheap, breathable gloves that I can get in the UK and will work well for sim racing? Preferably full-fingered because I get the blisters just below the joint, that part might still be exposed...
pEst410 said:
I tend to get blisters in my thumbs, from the rubber on the wheel... Any suggestion of cheap, breathable gloves that I can get in the UK and will work well for sim racing? Preferably full-fingered because I get the blisters just below the joint, that part might still be exposed...
I was also in the middle of looking for some good gloves not so long ago, but my hands actually got used to the abuse! 

If the problem persists, take a look on eBay. Sometimes you can get some decent karting gloves for quite cheap, if it's a wholesaler who's selling them. 
JZStudios said:
And that's why I got a wheel without rubber. :P You could probably even get Mechanix gloves. I however have massive hands that no gloves fit.
Yup, I wouldn't have this problem with the G29, but then if I got the gear stick it doesn't do sequential... So I got the T150.

If the problem persists, take a look on eBay. Sometimes you can get some decent karting gloves for quite cheap, if it's a wholesaler who's selling them. 
Thanks, karting gloves seem like a good option in terms of price, just hope they don't make my hands sweat too much... Would hopefully like something vented somehow...
pEst410 said:

Thanks, karting gloves seem like a good option in terms of price, just hope they don't make my hands sweat too much... Would hopefully like something vented somehow...
I suppose you could always do a DIY job on them? It'd just be a case of getting a thin drill-bit and poking a series of small holes in the problem areas. 
I am using these for racing: http://www.mechanix.com/the-original-vent-covert
 Awesome grip, it's comfortable. The vent holes are ideal for in the spring, summer, etc 
I really want to get some gloves, but even the XXL I've tried don't fit. I have to bend my fingers from the first knuckle.
baseball batting gloves are what i use mostly .... nice light leather, great feel, mesh backs for breathability, inexpensive

if you put in a lot of hours, gloves protect your hands and provide superior grip in sweaty competitive situations

they also protect your wheel from the acids, oils, and dirt from your hands

look for a glove design that places the thumb seam away from the pressure point on the knuckle
(two brands of batting gloves offer this on some, if not all of their models ... Franklin, and Marucci)

like this:

Main point why I wouldn't just buy any gloves is the seams. It's not bad when batting/lifting weights/ etc. but when you are holding wheel for 2 hours those seams start to bother a bit.
I used my sailing gloves at first because I couldn't find good mechanic gloves in nearest stores and it was bad after few hours.
Raiggu said:
I use full fingered(light ones, without any padding) cycling gloves. They are breathable and those with clarino etc in palms are grippy too. Especially with suede wheel rims.
I had a look and those seem to be good options too :)

Archived