Community Rally School

On 5/23/2019 at 3:50 AM, Mike Dee said:

You really don't need the handbrake on hairpins if you are on a fast straight before. Brake hard (but don't lock up), and keep 20-50% throttle pressure when you do brake to so the car stays balanced. As you get closer to the turn-in point, I like to pump the brake really hard to lock up the car and then immediately let off of the brakes while revving the engine - it should cause you to oversteer a bit and is a great way to start a flick.

The key to this setup is that it gets you into a controlled slide, and after that you just balance 50-100% throttle while tapping the brakes 20-50% as needed through the corner. You don't need to make super dramatic turns that are really hard; just really focus on getting a nice smooth pendulum swing as you turn-in and slowly increase throttle. Flicking the car will get you rotated halfway around by itself, adding in a little throttle will give you the other half - stomping on the throttle will just spin you 270° instead of the extra 80-90° you want

Expert level!!! I will give it a try, but not sure if that's too much for my hands on the controller:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

i watched the basic rally tutorial video but i couldn't understand much of what he explained because he was talking so unaccurately....so how do i make my car slide into the corners and how do i use the clutch kick correctly? And how important is clutch kicking, right now i have turned it off... does this mean the clutch is applied automatically through the game? Another thing i found out that i was used to always lift of my foot from the throttle when braking. I'm now trying to stay on the throttle while braking but i still need to learn these techniques....

Thx for any advice for me as beginner.... I'm trying to get better. With the Lancia Fulvia i'm reaching 11th position every else car place 28-30 in open difficulty

Edited by Makromatic

Hey guys.

Can anybody recommend a good practice sequence? Particularly for stability. No matter how much I try, I always spin out of control (half, full, no throttle; steep, shallow turning angles) and it's driving me nuts. I am sure I can nail it with some practice, but there doesn't seem to be practice mode (or I can't find it) here.

17 hours ago, DrongoBongo said:

Hey guys.

Can anybody recommend a good practice sequence? Particularly for stability. No matter how much I try, I always spin out of control (half, full, no throttle; steep, shallow turning angles) and it's driving me nuts. I am sure I can nail it with some practice, but there doesn't seem to be practice mode (or I can't find it) here.

NvOd4EZ.jpg

Hit that section in the red circle. It has all of those consecutive hay bale square's with sprints to get some speed in between. Fantastic place to practice flicks and controlled slides. 

9 hours ago, Makromatic said:

wow, this girl knows how to rallyhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd42XRX-EKU  commentary appreciated !!!

Hey this was the Weekly Challenge stage from 2 weeks ago! The one where we were all chasing down Jon and Cookie for the WR without taking the cheesy cut that started that whole thing. Really fun stage, and definitely was fun turning on the top 3 ghosts and chasing them the entire time

Thank you, @SkyRex, i've been following your guides, quite intuitive and with great setup tips... Keep 'em coming, and have a beer on me...

stupid question: where can i set a ghost to race against? Haven't found that feature yet.

3 hours ago, Makromatic said:

stupid question: where can i set a ghost to race against? Haven't found that feature yet.

Boot up time trial -> get to service area -> Leaderboard -> find player to chase -> Select time -> Select Ghost

Post some videos of you driving some stages, we can't give advice if we don't know what you're doing.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Makromatic said:

how can i learn to drive like her? i'm just driving as fast as i can but can't proceed to clubman. Getting some analysis from more experienced drivers would be helpful!

The biggest things that are generally applicable to everyone:

1. Drive it like you own it, not like you stole it
  2. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast
  3. You have two feet (or two hands on a pad) - YOU CAN USE THEM BOTH AT THE SAME TIME MID CORNER
  4. Learn how to control the weight transfers, and not just through flicks. Learn how to abuse lift-off oversteer on entry, learn how adding 20% LFB while maintaining 100% throttle can add 10° of turn in, get the weight balanced evenly across all 4 tyres, and changes where you are in the the powerband
  5. Turn off the UI pace notes if you have them on - they will only hurt you. Learn to listen to Phil and make mental images of the upcoming corners. If you want to put up some fast times, you need to be able to max attack corners - you can only do that if you know exactly how you want the car to be oriented immediately following it into the next section of corners.
Edited by Mike Dee
  • Agree 1

4. Learn how to control the weight transfers, and not just through flicks. Learn how to abuse lift-off oversteer on entry, learn how adding 20% LFB while maintaining 100% throttle can add 10° of turn in, get the weight balanced evenly across all 4 tyres, and changes where you are in the the powerband

i already read something about weight transfer but how can i exactly benefit from it? And what are flicks and what do you mean by the rest?

8 hours ago, Makromatic said:

i already read something about weight transfer but how can i exactly benefit from it? And what are flicks and what do you mean by the rest?

my favorite gif - https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WhisperedPhonyItaliangreyhound-size_restricted.gif
video example - https://youtu.be/f5IBdsL_KTI?t=11
picture - https://cdn.gearpatrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Scandinavian-Flick-Step-By-Step-Gear-Patrol-2.jpg

^ that is a scandinavian flick, a pendulum turn, or an inertia drift. The short version: turn away from the corner (shifts car weight to inside), then turn towards the corner (shifts weight to outside) to start a drift without the handbrake. Normally they are not as big of a drift, but you can easily use the technique (with lots of extra throttle) to take hairpins without a handbrake.

As for weight transfer... there is a lot to talk about. It is about controlling where the car's center of gravity is. Some of the key points to understand are:

1. If you slam on the brakes, the weight transfers to the front of the car. This means the front tires have more grip than the rear, and normally that means the car has better turn-in potential. This also means that the back of the car is extremely loose and likely to slide out causing oversteer.
  2. If you slam on the throttle, the weight transfers to the back. In a RWD car this means you can put down power easier and accelerate faster. It also means your front tires have weight holding them down in the gravel. That means the turning input does less work, which gives the front tires less turn-in; in any car though this normally causes understeer.
  3. As you turn left, the car's weight shifts to the right. This means the outside tires have more grip than the inside tires - your front inside tire might even start to lift up off the road.

It's kind of hard for me to explain how to use it. You can start to feel what the car will want to do though by paying attention to the weight transfers. You can also make the car do very dramatic turns/saves by transferring the weight at the right time, with correct brake + throttle inputs.

Left foot braking (LFB): using your left foot to apply brakes while still using your right foot to apply throttle at the same time. This comes back to weight transfers, but the big part of this is that the car stays balanced through a corner. Adding a little bit of brake when you are mid-turn can stop you from sliding out or can help keep the car on the inside of the corner. It also helps you tighten a turn, so if you hear "5 Right tightens into 3" you don't have to stop pressing the throttle - you just press the brake at the same time to slow you down just a little bit and tightens your angle.  

Posted (edited)

Thanks Mike-Dee for your explanation, here's another video link from DirtRally about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL85fZlYLQ0

got another question about Left Foot Braking: does LFB also mean not to lift off the foot from the throttle while breaking, so that i'm pushing throttle and brake at the same time?

Edited by Makromatic
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Makromatic said:

Thanks Mike-Dee for your explanation, here's another video link from DirtRally about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL85fZlYLQ0

got another question about Left Foot Braking: does LFB also mean not to lift off the foot from the throttle while breaking, so that i'm pushing throttle and brake at the same time?

Great video, I loved the Dirt Rally tutorials!

Yes - the reason you LFB is so you can manage both pedals at the same time. You don't always keep your foot on the throttle 100%, sometimes you'll go with 60% brake and lift off to only 30% throttle, but you are trying to balance the two. Because brakes do NOT go to all 4 wheels equally. Normally cars have a bias which changes everything.

Think of it this way: assume your car has a 60/40 front/read brake bias (60% of your brake force is applied to the front wheels). If you give it 50% brake pressure, 30% of that pressure is applied to the front wheels and 20% is applied to the back wheels. If you also are giving it 50% throttle, the front wheels will pull you slower than the rear wheels are pushing you. This can help generate oversteer that still feels extremely grippy & stable. You basically can slow the rotation of specific parts of your car and speed up others.

I also love to give it 10-15% brake while going flatout over bumpy sections that feel unsafe. It scrubs just a little bit of speed but makes the car stop bouncing so violently around.

Edited by Mike Dee

I'm much faster in road racing, but principles are the same. You have 4 tires and they all have max grip. A brief liftoff of throttle going into an corner will put weight on the fronts to help turn in. That is fundamental. 

Trail braking is also massive. Typically coming into a hard corner, you want the initial brake application to be hard and fast, just short of locking the tires. Then trail off the brakes and ready for throttle at the apex. Rule of thumb for road cars is 80% braking done before turn and trail off the rest of the 20%.  If you force yourself to go slow and working on hitting the *apex*, everything else will follow. 

Definitely turn off the HUD arrows and just use the copilot. He will screw you sometimes, so listen carefully and as always "Trust. But verify"lol

If you're using an H shifter, you have to force yourself to learn to rev match/heel toe. And left foot braking is more crucial in rally than any other discipline I know of.  The best help I got from that is get your left heel in the ground like your right is when it uses the throttle or brake. You instinctively want to mash the brake with your left foot at first because its muscle memory says to mash it like a clutch.  But, left foot braking doesnt take as long to learn as it initially seems.

Hard braking = right foot and revmatch 

Stability braking with no downshifting = left foot braking.  

A handbrake was too much for my rig, so I had to get rid of it and not having it definitely hurts some of my times, but it isnt the end of the world.

And yeah, Louise Cook is a beast of a driver. Really surprised she hasn't secured a legit sponsor in real life and hope she does.  She appears to be quite fast on the F1 sims, too.

Posted (edited)

i became more comfortable with FWD cars and i think they will be my favorites. But driving AWD and RWD cars is really painful for me. I can't drive them fast without demolishing the whole car. How are you driving them?

Edited by Makromatic

17 hours ago, Makromatic said:

i became more comfortable with FWD cars and i think they will be my favorites. But driving AWD and RWD cars is really painful for me. I can't drive them fast without demolishing the whole car. How are you driving them?

Easy on the throttle and don't mash unless you are pointed in the right direction.  In general terms, the more you are turning your wheel, the less throttle you can give. 

An example instructors use is picturing a your throttle shoe lace being tied to the steering wheel. As you turn, your foot releases and as you *unwind* the turn, you can apply more throttle. 

RWD especially can be tricky with throttle on loose surfaces, so definitely only throttle when pointed straight while learning. 

Other than that, you have to force yourself to learn to left foot brake to help stability. Maybe practice some stages while applying left foot brakes the entire time to help get a feel for it.  The whole stage, even while going full throttle and just modulate the brake.  

Also if you are not using manual, you have to. If gives so much more control. 

Guys any tips or good tutorials on driving FWD cars? I usually drive AWD but want to prepare for AOR league which is in R2. I think in those cars you should keep sliding to minimum and focus on the driving line more so as not to lose speed, am I right? What techniques should I use? Left foot braking, scandinavian flick? Also, what about the handbrake, only for tight hairpins or not at all?

On 6/14/2019 at 10:50 AM, danielofifi said:

Guys any tips or good tutorials on driving FWD cars? I usually drive AWD but want to prepare for AOR league which is in R2. I think in those cars you should keep sliding to minimum and focus on the driving line more so as not to lose speed, am I right? What techniques should I use? Left foot braking, scandinavian flick? Also, what about the handbrake, only for tight hairpins or not at all?

Left foot braking for all cars and driving line in R2 and FWD is crucial to not lose speed. Keeping momentum up with them is crucial.

I don't have a handbrake on my setup and havent found a good way to set it up, so I rarely use it anyway. But you'll just have to test hairpins with it on hairpins with FWD.  The Diff settings are really important. 

GTR Technical and SkyRex have excellent YouTube channels and setups, definitely check out their channels. 

• Thanks 1