Community Rally School

Hey look, official tips videos ūüėȬ†

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/9/2020 at 5:00 AM, SkyRex said:

TL;DR: Yes and Yes.

1. Revs up on launch not only preloads your Turbo, but any engine delivers different torque at different revs and you want to launch with maximum torque. Now most times the rev of max-torque is also close to max-rev, so maximum revs are definitely better than idle rev. But even better would be the max torque rev for that car. Which is most times around 80% rev. (Or where the green shifting lights in cockpit go on)

So, I've been testing out keeping revs up before launch the past few days, and I have to say that it is helpful in getting a better/faster launch. If the car has a Turbo, it helps to push the revs up just before you launch because this gives more power to the Turbo. If you just hold your revs steady, the power of the Turbo settles down to about *50%*, whereas if you push your revs up just before launch, the power for your Turbo goes up to around *75%*. I don't know if the same applies to the Supercharger since that works differently than a Turbo. Anywho, thanks for the info. I've been playing racing games for over 15 years, but you can always learn new things.

Also, if you find your car is threatening to tip over onto its side, here's how you can (prepare for terrible pun) get back on track. ūüėĪ¬† When you start to roll, turn your wheels away from the side that is coming off the ground.¬†If you do end up on your side, you still have a chance to correct that by turning the wheels towards the ground to lift your car up a little & hope that its enough to roll you back onto your wheels.

EDIT = I checked the car list, and the only car with a Supercharger is the Lancia 037 Evo 2 Group B (RWD). The Lancia Delta S4 Group B (AWD) & its Rallycross variant have a Supercharger & Turbo.

* = Turbo behaves differently for each car. The older cars tend to have less Turbo power & need more RPM to activate it. Whatever car you use, if it has a Turbo, push your revs up just before launch for maximum power.

Edited by PoSNameless
  • Like 1

A little tip from me.

If you're at Monte Carlo at the top of Col de Turini, launching in 2nd gear helps FWD cars gain traction quicker. Worked a treat in the MINI.

5 hours ago, PJTierney said:

A little tip from me.

If you're at Monte Carlo at the top of Col de Turini, launching in 2nd gear helps FWD cars gain traction quicker. Worked a treat in the MINI.

Same thing also works in rwd and on other loose surfaces. I barely ever launch fwd and rwd cars in 1st gear when on snow/ice/gravel/dirt. Its a good tip, and one thay can get you off thr line faster.

What do you guys think is the best way to tackle tight corners and hairpins in FWD cars? Is it more effective to use the handbrake, play with weight transfer or left foot brake? I'd assume on tarmac it's best to just take the proper racing line without sliding, but does it work like that in DR2?

SkyRex, could You share your car setups?
Like few different general for gravel and tarmac.
I think I like more your setup style than from guy who share his setups at Youtube.

Posted (edited)

With Scotland now in the game, I figured it would be a good time to make a video in regards to learning a new stage.

I do need to work on editing and recording for future videos, but hopefully it will help those that need it.

Edited by Ialyrn

On 3/20/2020 at 9:16 PM, MJV1973 said:

SkyRex, could You share your car setups?
Like few different general for gravel and tarmac.
I think I like more your setup style than from guy who share his setups at Youtube.

I would always recommend to learn to do the setup, than to copy an existing one. In some of my videos you see setups for cars, but that might still change slightly depending on the car for me. You might use them as a starting point, but dont shy away from experimenting to adjust them to your driving style.
For general Tarmac Knowledge:

And for a general Gravel Knowledge:

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

Do the standard repair vs replace parts actually affect the car in any way? Also lets say im at the end have have a service and then 2 short stages: if needed is it better to quick repair one part to get another part replaced?

Posted (edited)

So, basic questions after 9 days with the game, not related with rally school, but maybe I will try to seek help... for example I struggle driving at Wales with the Audi Quattro, losing time in Club level  (career mode)... but it does not bother me right now (I have already seen SkyRex's video and maybe will comment my experience on slow rebound and fast bump on the Audi, although I do agree completely that the ride height should be set very high)... after winning monaco by several minutes I am losing 20-30 seconds per stage here (again: not worried because of a lot mistakes from my driving)

I am doing not so good with an Audi Quattro in Career mode, currently at wales, 2 stages remaining, I have available new tires at service and it is raining (hard rain).... And I only have 3 types of tires for choosing: soft/medium/hard...

In Monaco I did have the choice to put wets, and I happily did... but here no wet tires

Why they do not offer wet tires in this case? Do I have to unlock the wets with the training of my engineers or what?

what does the game expect me to do, drive with softs/medium in flooded stage with water?

Next questions: 

• which are the main differences between fast repair, normal repair and replace? (apart from the amount of credits)
  • Do the cars run slower if I do not fix broken headlights? I have several cars with destroyed headlights and I do not know if I should fix them (if no night stages coming...)
  • Why I can not buy new cars such as new Lancia Delta S4 or Lancia Delta HF... only used ones appears selling... Are the used ones¬†slower/worse in some kind of things? what if they were totaled a couple of times?

thank you for reading

Edited by IgorPr

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, IgorPr said:

So, basic questions after 9 days with the game, not related with rally school, but maybe I will try to seek help... for example I struggle driving at Wales with the Audi Quattro, losing time in Club level  (career mode)... but it does not bother me right now (I have already seen SkyRex's video and maybe will comment my experience on slow rebound and fast bump on the Audi, although I do agree completely that the ride height should be set very high)... after winning monaco by several minutes I am losing 20-30 seconds per stage here (again: not worried because of a lot mistakes from my driving)

I am doing not so good with an Audi Quattro in Career mode, currently at wales, 2 stages remaining, I have available new tires at service and it is raining (hard rain).... And I only have 3 types of tires for choosing: soft/medium/hard...

In Monaco I did have the choice to put wets, and I happily did... but here no wet tires

Why they do not offer wet tires in this case? Do I have to unlock the wets with the training of my engineers or what?

what does the game expect me to do, drive with softs/medium in flooded stage with water?

Next questions: 

• wÔĽŅhich are the main differences between fast repair, normal repair and replace? (apart from the amount of credits)
  • Do the cars run slower if I do not fix broken headlights? I have several cars with destroyed headlights and I do not know if I should fix them (if no night stages coming...)
  • Why I can not buy new cars such as new Lancia Delta S4 or Lancia Delta HF... only used ones appears selling... Are the used ones¬†slower/worse in some kind of things? what if they were totaled a couple of times?

thank you for reading

It does not look like there is a specific tyre for wet conditions on gravel

K "RALLY TYRES GRAVEL A symmetric tyre based on the ‚ÄúK‚ÄĚ version, designed for use on soft, wet, loose or rocky gravel. It ensures an excellent balance between performance and stability on these types of surfaces.KMGravel tyre for universal application, suited to dry or wet/damp surfaces.The internal part of its asymmetric design ensures excellent performance during acceleration and braking, at the same time maintaining an excellent level of wear. The external part, thanks to the arrangement of shoulder blocks, favours high lateral grip.The Reinforced version is specially protected against any accidental impact thanks to its specifically designed interior structure and special strengthening of the sidewall"

KM "RALLY TYRES GRAVEL A symmetric tyre based on the ‚ÄúK‚ÄĚ version, designed for use on soft, wet, loose or rocky gravel. It ensures an excellent balance between performance and stability on these types of surfaces."

XR "Tyre for heavy use on gravel roads. It is also suitable for use on mixed gravel/asphalt routes, hard, compact and rough surfaces.It is especially protected against any accidental impact thanks to its specifically designed internal structure and special strengthening of the sidewall"

https://www.pirelli.com/mediaObject/pirellityre/fr/fr/catalogue/motorsport/pirelli_ms_rally_catalogue/original/pirelli_ms_rally_catalogue.pdf

Just use softs ingame

Edited by somethingthing
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, IgorPr said:
  1. which are the main differences between fast repair, normal repair and replace? (apart from the amount of credits)
  2. Do the cars run slower if I do not fix broken headlights? I have several cars with destroyed headlights and I do not know if I should fix them (if no night stages coming...)
  3. Why I can not buy new cars such as new Lancia Delta S4 or Lancia Delta HF... only used ones appears selling... Are the used ones slower/worse in some kind of things? what if they were totaled a couple of times?
  1. Normal repair is... normal. May still have a bit of wear but will be back in working order. 
    Fast repair means you take less time to repair the car in service, but it's a rush job. The part will wear faster and is more likely to break.
    Replace gives you a fresh new part, with its full lifespan and no wear.

2. Theoretically there may be a very minor aerodynamic risk but I don't know if that's simulated in the game.
    If you're not planning to use your lights there's no need to replace them.

3. You can't buy new ones of those in real life either ūüėȬ†
    Used cars already have a bunch of worn/damaged parts, but once you repair them you're good to go.

Exactly. Wet Tyre mainly means better profile, for water offrun. Gravel Tyres already have deep profiles for the dirt and rocks, so they are also good for wet always. Off course wet is gonna be more slippery, that's just how physics are. Though the difference is much less than trying to drive tarmac slicks in the wet.

Other questions:
- fast repair will degrade the part over time and you can not repair it again, only replace. Most useful, if you are at last service park and need to save time
- normal repair, basically as new.
- replace, for parts that can't be repaired (lights) and for stuff you previously quick-repaired.

- Yes, you don't need to fix headlights if no night comes up. If there really is different aerodynamics at play, they are negligible.

- You can only buy new cars, that you could buy today, as the game is set in todays time. So any historic car can only be bought used. If it was totalled several times or not is IMHO just for statistics. If you don't care about those numbers, just buy the cheapest offer and repair that. It's all just as fast.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Perfect explanations fellows! I feel ashamed thinking that there would be gravel wet tires with big blocks to have better grip in rain. Not more headlights repairs, and maybe I will stop changing gearbox and engines, just only normal repair them to save credits.

And do the driven kms in showdown (or maybe test lap in English) add to the research engine mapping in career? and what about it in daily, weekly events?

Are the mapping upgrades to the engine always beneficial or there are some locations/stages that would benefit from a more conservative mapping? (thinking in maybe something purely of slow speed corners in Argentina, etc)

I am just suprised how at club level (something "easy" would I expect) I was overwhelmed by the AI in Wales, my pace was not completely bad, I believe +40" to +1' from WR on every stage and with mistakes from my side (I did worse in Monaco and get the win by several minutes)... will try the Fulvia in career mode for the first time to see if I can keep up with the AI... did not manage to promote from the club with the audi quattro

PD: I also wonder if I could replicate in time trial the conditions of particular stages that I get in career mode, combining rain/night or snow/night in order to practice it

Edited by IgorPr