Get Good at DiRT Rally 2.0 - Community Rally School

Short guide for the "Launch Event" Achievement which is unlockable as of today.

Could someone post a collection of links regarding Tuning Tips, Explanation of Tuning Options (as in what does each option do to the car & how that affects its performance), Driving Tips/Tutorials,  and if it's available, a breakdown of the characteristics individual cars & their performance qualities. Thanks

Edited by PoSNameless
Spelling errors

On 1/22/2020 at 3:18 PM, PoSNameless said:

Could someone post a collection of links regarding Tuning Tips, Explanation of Tuning Options (as in what does each option do to the car & how that affects its performance), Driving Tips/Tutorials,  and if it's available, a breakdown of the characteristics individual cars & their performance qualities. Thanks

Read up on these two from DR1, all the same info still applies to DR2

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=478035750
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=662087628

Next, go watch the original tutorial videos from DR1 since all of the same racing principles still apply

As for performance characteristics between cars, we could write you a small novel if we cover every single car. Would be much easier to either give us a class to discuss, or even better specific cars you can't seem to "get a grasp" of. 

17 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

As for performance characteristics between cars, we could write you a small novel if we cover every single car. Would be much easier to either give us a class to discuss, or even better specific cars you can't seem to "get a grasp" of. 

Thanks for the info. As for the car characteristics, I'm most interested in tips on how to handle Group B (RWD & AWD), the Lancia Stratos, Renault 5 Turbo, and the Rally GT cars. I know that's a lot, but that's what I'm having issues with. In short, I'm looking for tips on how to keep from spinning out as often. I play on PS4 with a controller, so I know that's part of the issue (can't feel road/tires as well as a wheel & don't have the same subtlety as pedals). Anywho, I'll check that out. Oh, and @SkyRex, your vids are really helpful & explain some of the more technical aspects of the game really well. Keep it up.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PoSNameless said:

Thanks for the info. As for the car characteristics, I'm most interested in tips on how to handle Group B (RWD & AWD), the Lancia Stratos, Renault 5 Turbo, and the Rally GT cars

In my experience all of these cars benefit from HEAVY left foot braking constantly through corners. You're almost dancing on both pedals the entire way into the corner, braking hard but not coming off the gas 100% - you need to keep the cars balanced on entry which means both brake and throttle.

Also a huge thing a lot of people don't even think of doing is "blipping" the throttle through the entire corner. Don't try to find that perfect balancing point at some random % like 53.48% throttle pressure - that is so insanely hard to hit every single corner you'll drive yourself crazy trying to do it. Instead focus on blipping the throttle from 20% to 80% through the corner, creating a constant state of grip/slip/grip with each pulse of the throttle. You'll end up with an extremely oomfortable slide that you'll be easily in control of. You're basically adding a small amount of oversteer each time you rev the throttle up to 80%, and then "catching" the oversteer slide you just created when you come back off to 20%. Make RWD cars wayyy easier to handle.

Hello I need help to be able to form my cars (differential, muffling you go ect...) since at the moment I know the basic thing that is in ground a soft amortization and in asphalt it lasts. But I need to know for example if the slow comprehension becomes harder than the rapid comprehension (ANY OF SOMETHING LIKE THAT MUFFLING NEEDED TO KNOW AS IT IS FORMED) to Excuse for my English.

1 hour ago, GTDemond said:

I need guide, differential damping ect

I explain almost every bit of car setups and how they work in my Country & Setup Series. You need to be able to understand the english terms though.

Edited by SkyRex
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, SkyRex said:

Explico casi todas las configuraciones de automóviles y cómo funcionan en mi serie Country & Setup. Sin embargo, debes poder entender los términos en inglés.

Thank you very much you could put subtitles in Spanish please?

On 12/17/2019 at 2:23 PM, PJTierney said:

Short guide for the "Launch Event" Achievement which is unlockable as of today.

Good video but I wanted to correct one of your statements on the tuning. You said that the large amount of rear toe in helps with turn-in. Rear toe in actually helps with stability and decreases turn-in ability. The large front toe out is what's helping the turn-in, the rear toe in is just balancing that so that you don't loop into a wall on the straights. Just wanted to make sure that other people didn't get confused and tune their car the opposite of what they're wanting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skylarhagler said:

Good video but I wanted to correct one of your statements on the tuning. You said that the large amount of rear toe in helps with turn-in. Rear toe in actually helps with stability and decreases turn-in ability. The large front toe out is what's helping the turn-in, the rear toe in is just balancing that so that you don't loop into a wall on the straights. Just wanted to make sure that other people didn't get confused and tune their car the opposite of what they're wanting.

Pop that in the YouTube comments and I'll pin it, thanks 🙂 

I don't know how much of a difference this really makes, but should you get your engine revs up before you launch in Rally stages? I know your spotter says to do so in Rallycross, but I've never really been certain if it actually does anything for your initial launch or overall time in Rally stages. I assume that it has more of an effect on cars with a turbo, but even then I can't tell if it does anything significant. Also, should you keep the revs up when in the air after a jump? Other than keeping the turbo engaged, I don't really know if it's a good thing for the wheels to be spinning when you land or not.

=============================================

I'd like to provide a little tip regarding crests and jumps. Whenever you're going over a big crest, and especially when going off a jump, it's helpful to tap the brakes before you hit the top (ideally you do this near the top, just before the angle of the crest/jump starts going flat). What this does is transfer the weight to the front of the car, making it tilt forward as you clear the crest/jump. In an ideal situation, you want to land as close to flat as possible, or at least have the front land slightly before the rear. Tilting forward off a jump gives you a better view of the track ahead and increases your car's ability to steer and decelerate when landing, but don't brake too hard because there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing" (you don't want to nose-dive into the track). What you're trying to avoid is having your car tilt backwards when going off a jump (this happens when you maintain or increase your acceleration while going off a jump), as this leads to an unstable landing position, or even worse, damage to your car. Hope this helps in some small way.

On 2/2/2020 at 8:38 AM, PoSNameless said:

I don't know how much of a difference this really makes, but should you get your engine revs up before you launch in Rally stages? I know your spotter says to do so in Rallycross, but I've never really been certain if it actually does anything for your initial launch or overall time in Rally stages.

I find that it helps. Go into time trial and set a time with your launch at 60% to 70% ish. Then race your ghost without revving at the start. When I've done this my ghost always gets away a little at the start.

Ive had an H pattern shifter for a few weeks now (TH8A) and im struggling to get in gear doing rapid downshifts ie,  one, square, hairpin, acute. I s there a way i can make my downshifting fast but consistent with the shifter or should i order the ricmotech mod?

( I am heel and toe downshifting, im still not as confident as id like to be)

11 hours ago, BPUltimate said:

Ive had an H pattern shifter for a few weeks now (TH8A) and im struggling to get in gear doing rapid downshifts ie,  one, square, hairpin, acute. I s there a way i can make my downshifting fast but consistent with the shifter or should i order the ricmotech mod?

( I am heel and toe downshifting, im still not as confident as id like to be)

Are you skipping gears or are you trying to row down through each individual gear? Don't be afraid to jump from 5th to 2nd gear if the corner requires it, just be smart about when you actually put it into 2nd so that the engine doesn't try to scream up to 13k RPMs

12 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

Are you skipping gears or are you trying to row down through each individual gear? Don't be afraid to jump from 5th to 2nd gear if the corner requires it, just be smart about when you actually put it into 2nd so that the engine doesn't try to scream up to 13k RPMs

I alternate depending on the car, im just finding the gates are too long and it doesnt engage proprerly because i feel like i should be letting the clutch out earlier

2 hours ago, BPUltimate said:

I alternate depending on the car, im just finding the gates are too long and it doesnt engage proprerly because i feel like i should be letting the clutch out earlier

It takes time and practice to get used to a clutch and shifter in racing games, they dont feel like they do in a real car. My advise would be to slow down, not just with yout gear shifts, but your driving. Allow yourself some thinking time till you get into the swing of things. I use a TH8A myself, without any mods to it. Dont worry about heel and toe till you get used to shifting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

It takes time and practice to get used to a clutch and shifter in racing games, they dont feel like they do in a real car. My advise would be to slow down, not just with yout gear shifts, but your driving. Allow yourself some thinking time till you get into the swing of things. I use a TH8A myself, without any mods to it. Dont worry about heel and toe till you get used to shifting.

I think this is some pretty good advice. Even learning to drive a manual in real life can give people some issues when they are learning to shift going into corners/through a turn. One thing they teach you IRL is to be in gear before going into the turn and that applies to racing games as well until you are very comfortable shifting and using heel-toe.

Give yourself a personal goal for this weekend - focus on building muscle memory for your shifting. Turn off all race timers, you are not trying to be faster than your old pace or even fast. You just want to focus on building good habits and removing the need to think about shifting gears. After enough time you should just be able to "feel" what gear the cars wants to be in. 

I can't really help with the long gates, that might just be something to deal with =/ 

On 2/6/2020 at 11:17 AM, BPUltimate said:

https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/product/th8a-en/

go to software and download the calibration software. I havent really bothered since i got my shifter because it felt fine but you can tweak when the gears should engage etc iirc.

1 hour ago, BPUltimate said:

one problem. broke boi here is on an an xbox

The calibration tool doesnt need a powerful computer to work, and you may need the calibration tool if you bought that ricmotech mod. Neither should be needed though, it really is just a case of practice. As said before, the th8a i use is not modded, running default factory calibration. The issue your probably facing, is changing the gear before you have the clutch depressed fully. I assume your using a clutch pedal, so you just need to make sure its pressed fully before you move the gear lever. This js why I suggested slowing down and concentrating on just the act of shifting. Never drive any racing game in an active attempt to go faster, just learn how to drive instead. Speed comes naturally as you get used to it. Not just with driving, but with shifting as well.

When you try harder to do something faster, thats usually when you will make a mistake. So to reiterate what i said before, slow yourself down and give yourself thinking time. It will allow you to practice in a stress free situation, and you will improve from there.

• Like 1

You can also try to increase the saturation of the clutch, if you are missing gears... My clucth pedal has a very long throw, so it was easy to miss gears, trying to shift quickly... After setting the clutch to more or less 100% when i'm pressing at about half the pedal travel helped me, although somethimes i still miss gears, because my hand wants to move way faster than my left foot, in the heat of racing  :D... 

On 2/2/2020 at 9:38 AM, PoSNameless said:

I don't know how much of a difference this really makes, but should you get your engine revs up before you launch in Rally stages? I know your spotter says to do so in Rallycross, but I've never really been certain if it actually does anything for your initial launch or overall time in Rally stages. I assume that it has more of an effect on cars with a turbo, but even then I can't tell if it does anything significant. Also, should you keep the revs up when in the air after a jump? Other than keeping the turbo engaged, I don't really know if it's a good thing for the wheels to be spinning when you land or not

TL;DR: Yes and Yes.

1. Revs up on launch not only preloads your Turbo, but any engine delivers different torque at different revs and you want to launch with maximum torque. Now most times the rev of max-torque is also close to max-rev, so maximum revs are definitely better than idle rev. But even better would be the max torque rev for that car. Which is most times around 80% rev. (Or where the green shifitng lights in cockpit go on)

2. For Turbo pressure yes, For World Record Runs as well. To keep maximum control I sometimes lift during a jump, so the wheels touch down with a speed closer to what they shall have anyway. If you touch down with full spinning, you have little grip in the moment of touchdown, which especially if you land a corner-jump or land sideways, can be problematic. Though you will lose some Turbo pressure. 
Just always make sure that you have full throttle at the split second point of liftoff! As explained here:

• Thanks 1