DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
How to contact Customer Service Read more... ×
F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Get Good at DiRT Rally 2.0 - Community Rally School

On 4/15/2016 at 7:10 AM, mostlybobbins said:

As an Xbox One player with a controller, I'm currently at a loss with a couple of things. Firstly, use of the brake - firstly, I'll qualify that I'm literally just doing the first two Rallycross stages of Lydden Hill and Holjes without leaping in before I'm ready. In my head, I'm thinking I used be using the brake as little as possible to maintain momentum (apart from the Joker area, obviously.) So in my head I feel I should use the gears to maintain high revs but am I damaging the engine by doing so? My results are OK, but definitely not stellar. I can win Sweden, but not in the UK! (Yep, that bad!)

Secondly, with my setups (I have two that I'm trying out) I honestly can't tell the difference apart from altering the gear ratio. I can't 'feel' what's transferring from car to controller, if you follow. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to deviate from the norm so early on in the game or just go for it from the off. Without being a proper car nut, I will admit I don't understand what the many sliders are supposed to do in laymans terms. I read the description of each but it's not resonating! 

I have abandoned so many rallycross stages so far because it's such a different experience from stage rallies, and I'm just getting my head wrapped around that.

I think I saw someone mention an add-on or something that would keep your telemetry in DR2 in a thread here, but now I can't find it. My question is somewhat related, and maybe I'm an idiot for not finding it yet, but where can I find my results from all the races I've done? I see them flash by at the end of each stage and event, but not sure where they'd be collected so I can look back on them?

Thanks.

On 2/6/2020 at 12:47 PM, Mike Dee said:

I think this is some pretty good advice. Even learning to drive a manual in real life can give people some issues when they are learning to shift going into corners/through a turn. One thing they teach you IRL is to be in gear before going into the turn and that applies to racing games as well until you are very comfortable shifting and using heel-toe.

I had to learn how to drive a shift stick in a church parking lot after I'd purchased my friend's Mazda 323 before I could drive it to work the day of. He let me have it for $500 because it's all I could afford. Great little car, like this one except sort of brown/tan.

7ef1d840ced5894a46a5ac61c1bc9ff3.jpg

Love this thread. I just started playing DR2 about a month ago and it's damn frustrating. BUT.... When you nail that one corner or clean a whole section it kinda makes up for it. Last driving game I was into was Gran Turismo 3, yes that long ago. Great videos PJ, thanks for sharing those. 

• Like 1

I haven't read through all of the posts here, but I am wondering if there are any tutorials tips for Tuning?

Not being mechanically minded I am finding it a little difficult to figure things out and would like some help with tuning for the different locations and cars.

I play on an Xbox Series X.

Thanks

55 minutes ago, evaredy1 said:

I haven't read through all of the posts here, but I am wondering if there are any tutorials tips for Tuning?

Not being mechanically minded I am finding it a little difficult to figure things out and would like some help with tuning for the different locations and cars.

Thanks

Well, I have no clue at all how to tune a car, but I use these tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ05BZF9F6q2xKyV6viCBGg/videos

14 hours ago, evaredy1 said:

You know what, I haven't seen any rally-specific tuning guides online at all.

There's plenty of driving guides (I've made a ton) but nothing for setups.

14 hours ago, evaredy1 said:

Thanks

@PJTierney this is what I have always used, they're originally for DR1 but the general principles all hold up in DR2.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=662087628
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=478035750

I don't know about any video ones, but I'd check SkyRex's youtube channel and probably GTR Technical's. I'd be surprised if neither of them had something about how to tune

• Like 1

If you've seen my full-length guides on YouTube you'll have gotten these tips already, but here's a few 1 minute guides that should help some people out 🙂 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies and links, much appreciated.

This one is very useful Thanks for the link, Mike Dee.

Through searching the internet for specific Dirt rally 2.0 Setup guides, I have managed to find some guides that may be of use to others.

This one is really quite good and has quite a few setups for various cars.

This one is for those, like me that have no clue what is what when it comes to mechanics. It has very useful links, that when clicked, open up a relevant page or video that explains it in more detail.

And last but not least, This one posted here on Codemasters by 2Technical.

• Like 1

Nice, I'll watch now 🙂 

I've already scheduled guides for every location which will go live on my YouTube over the coming weeks but it's good to have more tutorials out there.

[edit: Quick tip, add chapters to your video since you clearly call out segments in your video]

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Nice, I'll watch now 🙂 

I've already scheduled guides for every location which will go live on my YouTube over the coming weeks but it's good to have more tutorials out there.

[edit: Quick tip, add chapters to your video since you clearly call out segments in your video]

I've been looking for it but haven't found a way to make the feature work yet...

I did put timestamps in my description afterwards the way it was explained in the official video but the chapters don't appear on my video's progress bar. 😞 

Edited by SRD_SimVansevenant

5 hours ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

I've been looking for it but haven't found a way to make the feature work yet...

I did put timestamps in my description afterwards the way it was explained in the official video but the chapters don't appear on my video's progress bar. 😞 

Look at my videos, they work perfectly if you copy that format. You need at least 3.

4 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Look at my videos, they work perfectly if you copy that format. You need at least 3.

I'll check it out. It should be working as I did it as well. The timestamps in the description work, just not showing on the progress bar. It's really strange. 

I wonder if it's limited to a certain number of subscribers but it really shouldn't be.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I wonder if it's limited to a certain number of subscribers but it really shouldn't be.

It’s not limited to subscriber numbers or anything like that. It does seem a bit random when first using them and then suddenly seems fine for every vid.  I couldn’t get them working the first time I tried.  I kept adding the stamps in the description and one day noticed they showed in the progress bar.

One thing I’m wondering if it makes a difference, cause I can’t remember what I did, is if you put the time stamps in when you uploaded or editing after?

It might be that it just starts working the next video you upload. 

I always add them on the first upload but it shouldn't matter.

Google will soon be forcing them on any video that appears in Google Search results anyway, so either we add them ourselves or we trust AI to do it properly.

Posted (edited)

The RWD classes are the most fun to drive by far in my view. Not only because it is so well done, but also because of the great selection of cars. It's been an absolute blast. 

Edited by richie
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, richie said:

The RWD classes are the most fun to drive by far in my view. Not only because it is so well done, but also because of the great selection of cars. It's been an absolute blast. 

The audio work done for the cars in these classes alone is reason enough to drive them 🎶🎵 The M1 😍

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

The audio work done for the cars in these classes alone is reason enough to drive them 🎶🎵 The M1 😍

Absolutely. Audio in general in this game is... Well I've run out of superlatives to describe the outstanding work of the DiRT Rally team's sound department. They must keep the quality in the future 🙏

Posted (edited)

My setup philosophy is a little different. And I don't use a separate setup for each rally.

Greece, Wales, New Zealand and Australia get the same setup: soft suspension because bumpy and vehicle higher because the track edges and jumps are more difficult. Differentials a bit more open (acceleration I always set firmer) because many tight corners. (There are some hard landings because of soft suspension, but it rides smoother).

Finland, Scotland and Poland get the same setup: Harder suspension because faster and slightly higher because jumps and/or nasty edges or ditches. Differentials firmer because it's dangerously fast with jumps. Camber Angle more bacause fast.

USA gets an extra setup: Very hard suspension because smooth gravel and fast, and lowered Ride Height because fast.  Firmer diffenrentials because fast. Camber Angle more bacause fast.

For Argentina there is also an extra setup: Open differentials (for acceleration I use firmer ones everywhere, only for RWD you should not exaggerate) and also other settings on oversteer: rear toe angle out. With such a setup it is easier to lose control, but it needs higher speed and jumps, which is rare in Argentina. Soft suspension and higher because bumpy and mostly slow driving. Gears shorter.

In Sweden I never have problems with understeer, so here I like to set the setup towards safety=understeer, so I don't lose control at high speed.  Brakes weaker and rearward because slippery. Gears longer because little grip. Anti-roll bar softer because little grip. Very soft suspension because bumpy and little grip.

Germany is more dangerous to drive than Spain, so in Germany I go more for safety and accept more understeer for that.
For Spain just more oversteer, a little harder suspension and a little lower than for Germany. Hard suspension and Anti-Roll Bar is standard for asphalt, because high speed with a lot of grip.

In Monaco I mostly (but not always) use the winter tires. With them, I constantly have problems with understeer. So I set the whole setup to oversteer. Suspension softer and Anti-Roll Bar also softer than for soft tires.

Edited by PaulNbg

For those that want to watch onboard footage of a world record run in order to improve your own times.

Road to World Record Ep.2 - Ascenso bosque Montverd - Citroën C4 WRC - DiRT Rally 2.0!

I hope you will enjoy it!