F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Camera Angle Feedback

Why do any of them need changing? 

I cant see any problem with any of them. 

I would much rather the tuning setups stop changing all my cars setups. 
The grid order was fixed.
Repairs are sorted so you can use your own car and make a profit from winning. 
Custom cup money and xp needs to be equal to online. 
Upgrades need to be re-earned after buying the same car. 

but cameras......I honestly havn't found any problems when using the chase cam.  Chase 1 is always too close and low for me, but chase 2 is ok.

Chase cam needs to be higher and pulled out slightly. I do enjoy the T-Bar style came on the open wheeled cars

I find chase cam elevation fine. I may say it is already a little higher than what was in Grid 2. I liked that as well :). Too elevated turns me feeling more of a spectator than a player. Grid autosport has fine balance.

Most importantly, I only use the cockpit view with wheel and is not bothered with blur and darkness applied in Autosport. It may look unpleasant in a static view, but while racing it adds to the atmosphere and while I agree that it can be made better, it is not bad at all for what it is. Showcasing everything might add to praise on detail, but will be a poor artistic decision. Simulation games look flat and bland in this respect to have no depth.

I only use near chase cam for Gamepad and Cockpit with wheel when using G27, rest all cameras are useless to me. Bumper cams I find as a joke. Makes me feel as a fly sitting at bumper. 

My request and suggestion will be to stick to main cameras that are usually there planned by developers and give option to slightly edit FOV/distance as everyone is having different taste. Nonetheless more views is better than less as it is the only gateway to all what the game has to offer.

GRID ONE APPEARS OBSOLETE IN EVERY WAY AFTER PLAYING AUTO-SPORT. GOOD WORK CODIES...YOUR GAMES SHOW INCREMENTAL IMPROVEMENTS IN A MANNER DESPITE WHAT ANYONE SAYS. LOOKING FORWARD TO WHAT F1 TITLES WILL BRING NEXT. JUST RETAIN LAN MODE PLEASE.

Hi all, 

I have been making a roofcam for every car. I was putting the finishing touches to it last week hence why I have not announced it till now. 

There is a replay camera called gp_roof in every car's camera file, except the formula cars, which is the angle you will see in replays where the camera is mounted onto the roof of the car. 

I used the co-ordinates for this camera for each car and created a TV pod camera for all the cars. The 3 formula cars already had this TV pod camera, which looked great but is not the best for racing as they are too far behind the driver for my liking. So I have adjusted them forwards to the point I feel is optimal. For me, this is where the driver's hands are just off the bottom of the view, as I don't like to see the driver's hands, as I can see my own and this reduces the feeling of immersion. 

All the open wheel cars were especially difficult to create roof cams for, for this reason. So I did not use the gp_roof replay camera for all cars where the driver's hands are visible, such as the Ariel Atom and the Caterham. 

I have set the field of view for all cameras to 60 degrees, rather than the 75 that the replay camera uses as I feel this is somewhat stretched. The replay cameras also use a "gopro" post processing effect according to the file which I believe reduces the frame rate significantly, which is why when the camera cuts to this view upon retirement from a race, or at another time, there is a large reduction in frame rate. I have therefore made sure there is no post processing effect applied in the roof cams to ensure the smoothest possible experience.

Interestingly (well, for me anyway!), I also noticed that all the in car views have a special in car post processing effect which increases frame rate, but this uses more bloom, causing everything to appear brighter and less defined. This works well with the 10% opacity of the windscreens that is also written into the camera settings but not if the view is out of the car.

The only car that caused a significant problem was the Mazda 787B, which had poor frame rates with roofcam, so I had to adjust the dash cam to place it in the position of the roofcam. For some reason, this worked and produced good frame rates, even with the in car post processing disabled. 

I have also experimented with the blur of the cockpit views but it is difficult to strike the right balance between de-blurring the view and then seeing the low resolution cockpit textures to clearly as a result. 

The 4k texture pack definitely helps with this by the way, as it raises the cockpit textures from 512x512 to 1024x1024. This is clearly still too low res to be really pleasing to the eye tho, considering that the original car exterior textures have gone from 2048x2048 to 4096x4096 with the 4k textures DLC. 

The strange thing is that the in car textures are still at a higher resolution than GRID  1, which used 256x256 for low and 512x512 for hi textures. The in car cameras from GRID 1 look much better to me, so there must be something else going on there. Clearly the animated instruments make a difference but it seems more than that. For reference, the car exterior textures were 1024x1024 in low and 2048x2048 in high in GRID 1.

The best solution I settled on was reducing the blur effect by 25% of the original level for near and far objects in the in car view. I also raised the view somewhat and forward slightly, to better represent the view I have from behind my wheel with my TV being roughly 1 metre away from me as it is. I have only implemented this on the Chevrolet Cruze so far, as this was the primary car I used to test everything, such as frame rates on a variety of tracks. 

Barcelona and Paris proving to be the biggest frame rate hogs but just managing to stay above 60 fps with my camera on my specific graphics settings. If you have a better GPU than my aging 480 GTX SOC@820 Mhz, then lucky you, as you should get 60 fps no problem! 

Incidentally, I have made a totally custom hardware config file to improve frame rate whilst giving the best eye candy. On my rig, ( i7 950@4.28 Ghz ) I managed an average of 74.78 fps on the built in SLS GT3 benchmark, with a maximum of 90.16 fps and the all important minimum being 60.47 fps. The benchmark even recognises that I have added a camera to the SLS and switches to my roofcam during the lap which I thought was a really nice touch!

Hmm, an extremely long post I realise I have made, congratulations and many thanks if you have read all the way to this point! I will be uploading the roof cam mod very soon, once I have sorted out a blank cars folder structure with just my cameras inside for easy addition to your car folder. Just make sure you backup your folder, in case you don't like my cameras! I will also upload my hardware settings. For anyone that is struggling to maintain 60 fps on ultra settings, it looks pretty close to everything set to on and ultra ultra whilst providing similar frame rates to everything set to high. It even has soft occlusion turned on, as I really like that effect and could not bare to turn it off even tho it reduces fps by between 5 and 10.

I have not made any changes to chase cam or bumper cam but I can do these for every car if there are enough people who want that urgently, but it looks like Codemasters are listening and will be working on this first so their fix could be quicker than mine. 

See you on the track soon!

Ace

Loore said:
Hey everyone,

Since launch we've seen various bits of discussion over the camera angles within the game and we're currently trying to digest this feedback and where possible dig deeper into it, that's where you come in. 
Why not do camera settings as in Colin McRae 2 ?
Ideally been realized
Angle and rotation for any wish

Normal chase cam blocks too much of the view ahead. Distance is fine it's just a tad too low.

Yes, the bumper cam is way too low.  I feel like this when trying to use it...

youtu.be/HnZw65gsesw?t=1m49s

Both chase cams are too low, I know there's a lot of boot love, but personally I prefer to see where I'm going.

I race almost purely from Chase Cam Far and it's awkward trying to see anything when elevations are involved. A good point is the San Fran jumps, downhill aren't too bad at high speed, but uphill transitioning from low to high or anything in between can get a little bit heart in mouth, especially on landings.

Raised to GRID levels and it'll be fine. Currently though it's a minor gripe.

Only view I really use is bonnet/hood cam and it's fine as it is, please don't alter it or just add option to change height for those complaining about it being too low. Near chase cam is too low and car is too far forward in to the screen.

I only race in cockpit but when I've tried the other cams I found that bumper cam feels like I'm driving an RC car. I can see people feeling the chase cams are too low but one thing that I want to mention is the fact that if the views are too high, chase cams will let the player see too much and too far ahead of the track compared to cockpit users, giving them an unfair advantage IMO.

One of the the best cockpit view I have seen in 3d is from animated video for Crew. It would be awesome to have similar feeling of speed and visuals in game. Do consider it for review.

Another thing that can be added is camera shake slider affecting cockpit view as well, specially open wheel cars. In real life racer's head is not static and is affected by forces. A hint of that effect with increasing speed will be nice and awesome if somehow connected with vibration parameters.  And if something else can be done to increase the sensation of speed, that will be nice as well.

Video below from Youtube of a visor cam from racer Simon Pagenaud probably gives the best idea of the movement of head.

I like the T-Cam view on the Open Wheel cars.  When I go to other forumlas I struggle and end up choosing the hood cam to get as close to the T-Cam as possible.

Every camera for me is fine, except for the cockpit cameras. Not just because of the low res or blurred mirrors, but because of their positioning in some of the cars. Some are just too close to the dash.

A "t-cam" for other vehicles besides open wheelers would be cool. It worked well in the GT games. Another good camera is the dash cam, good for people who use wheels.

I play with the further back of the two cockpit cameras, this is on a triple screen setup.  I think it's just fine (in all cars tested so far).  My biggest complaint (beyond the "blurry cockpit cam") is that the in-car mirrors don't work at all, kinda lame.