Sign in to follow this  

Camera Angle Feedback

Hey everyone,

Since launch we've seen various bits of discussion over the camera angles within the game and we're currently trying to digest this feedback and where possible dig deeper into it, that's where you come in. 

Currently we're looking into bumper and chase cam, so any feedback (good or bad!) would be most welcome.

In particular, we're looking for a breakdown of the following:

• Your feedback on bumper cam
  • Your feedback on chase cam (both chase, and far chase)
  • Is the feedback car specific, is it certain cars that you feel need to be tweaked? If so, please let us know!
  • Regarding chase cam, is it the starting position / low speed angle that causes an issue
  • Anything else you happen to think of.
Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

I want roof cameras, like spectator mode and open-wheels have (even if you ll not do this, community already did this, but official is better )

far chase camera should be a bit higher

Bumper cam is the cam i use 90% of the time, i find it way to low and a vast majority of the corners are blind,when following other cars closley the problem is 10 fold......in grid 2 i used the Racedepartment mod to raise it and then some, that applies to all vehicles imo,

I know its called bumper cam for a reason but the little extra height makes all the difference.

:-bd

On PS3 I find with the chase and far chase camera that a lot of the view is blocked by your own car - making bends blind, even with the racing line on (which you also can't see!)

It's also strange that there is a "rooftop" type view in open wheelers and only one chase cam - this view would be great in the other disciplines as well.

Found an image of the car's position on screen in Grid, and compared it to GAS with the chase cam - even though the view angles seem pretty similar, car seems to be significantly higher up the screen in GAS, meaning less of the track ahead is visible.

Chase cam is too low. Not a problem on all cars but on an uphill rise, the next bend can be virtually blind. Or maybe the screenshot above explains the problem?

gor said:

far chase camera should be a bit higher

Agree. The normal chase cam is okay, the far one should be higher though.
Found an image of the car's position on screen in Grid, and compared it to GAS with the chase cam - even though the view angles seem pretty similar, car seems to be significantly higher up the screen in GAS, meaning less of the track ahead is visible.

I believe its because the field of view on Grid was higher. Thats why it looks a little "stretched" on the sides.
Mikeeboy said:
Chase cam is too low. Not a problem on all cars but on an uphill rise, the next bend can be virtually blind. Or maybe the screenshot above explains the problem?
Not like you can look over hill when you are sitting in a car. You should not be able to see beyond that. But i agree that the far chase could use some lift.

Both near and far boot cams are too low.

They are too low on start and too low on fast.

I have a small understanding of the process of how a cam moves according to acceleration and speed and think they need to be raised a few notches.

We had a roof mod in Grid 1 but for me that was too high, somewhere between that and where it is now would be perfect . . .as it is I keep rising out of my seat trying to see over the cars, lol . . .
~O)

On PS3 I find with the chase and far chase camera that a lot of the view is blocked by your own car - making bends blind, even with the racing line on (which you also can't see!)

It's also strange that there is a "rooftop" type view in open wheelers and only one chase cam - this view would be great in the other disciplines as well.

i agree with the guy here.... In chase view car must go closer to the screen cause its meaningless to exist so much 'dead' space in the back of the car....Or maybe camera to go higher...

About angles i always prefer in racing games in  chase view the camera to stick in back of the car (Gran turismo style) and not to see the side part of the cars when you turn ...

I think you could add as gameplay camera the top of the car view shown after race finishes .. this view is gameplay camera in project cars..

about hood cam  in some cars you see a lot of the hood and in some other cars you see it very little...this should be fixed for having a common sense about this view in all of cars... 
L-)

i loved the rood mod on grid 1 for the pc, surprised no body has done a camera mod pack for it yet :-(

Balb0wa said:
i loved the rood mod on grid 1 for the pc, surprised no body has done a camera mod pack for it yet :-(
some ppl already did it
everyone can did it, but it takes few hours

Roof cam plz. Interior cam blur toggle in options plz. Bumper cam and chase cam are both too low for my liking, especially chase cam where you literally can't see the racing line aid.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the chase far cam.  Chase far is perfect.  

DO NOT FIX......... ITS NOT BROKEN

Chase close, and bumper I dont know, never use them.  

Bumper cam needs to be a lot higher up, both chase cams needs a sticky option and lot higher up.

In GRID2 we had amasing camera mod by AgentHeX 0007, that was perfect solution and was working online: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/camera-mods.334/

"Camera Heights Raised - Cam FX OFF

Mod raise the bumper cam height to 1.1000 and both the
chase camera heights to 2.1000 for ALL cars models. (Higher than default)
And have a lot of the camera shaking/bouncing FX turned OFF.
The idea behind these mod is that I found the default values for the bumper camera
to be to low to the ground and the chase cameras view to be to low behind your car
obscuring the view of the track. I also found the shaking camera effects a little
distracting so that can now be disabled or enabled if you prefer.

LagRoll ON or OFF:

This mod turns off the lag and roll of the camera when using chase cam view,
The car will stay in the centre of your view when driving instead of swaying
left and right. This makes driving in chase view more like bumper cam mode and
I personally find that it makes driving your car more precise as it is easier to line
your car up with the apex of corners more accurately. It does take a while to get
used to but once you have adjusted your driving style it can work great especially
in combination with some of the other mods.

Car Pull Away DEF, LOW or OFF:

The idea behind this mod is that I did not like the way the car pulled further
away from your point of view the faster you car travels when in chase cam mode.
I found it made picking you racing line unpredictable especially when camera
roll and lag is turned on which it is by default.

Options:
Car Pull Away DEF: This is the default game values, nothing has been changed.
Car Pull Away LOW: The car will now take longer to pull furthest away from your viewpoint.
Car Pull Away OFF: The car will not pull away from the camera at all. With this mod the
position of the camera has also been adjusted so that the car is in full view at all times, whereas
by default when the car is stopped it is very close the the bottom of the screen or slightly off
the screen and pulls away from your viewpoint as speed increases.

Enjoy, AgentHeX 007"

And most important that this mod can be used online, and no any problems with saving. Except DLC cars.

If codies can impement such functionality in options, many loyal racers will be very grateful for that.

The chase cam needs to be fixed. It is too low at its current state, just like what MightyQuin said.

About angles i always prefer in racing games in  chase view the camera to stick in back of the car (Gran turismo style) and not to see the side part of the cars when you turn ...

Well said!
Since GRID2 i can't understand why i need to see the side part of my car when i turn, and all this lagrolling effects. Chase camera must be sticky in back of the car or there can be an option to stick it in both chase views.

In my previous message here i've already wrote about amasing grid2 camera mod by AgentHeX 0007 that fixes all this and stick cam in back of the car. That would be great.

Btw, my respect to codies, for their quick reaction to grid autosport community requests. Thank you for your work.

Hi Loore.

I'm loving Grid AutoSport on the Xbox 360, and I'm glad you asked about camera angles in particular.

I like that the far chase cam gives me the widest & most elevated perspective on the track ahead and nearby cars...

...However, as MightyQuin & others have mentioned, it does seem to me that the far chase cam is positioned lower than optimal - so low that my own car partially obstructs my view of the track. It can be a bit difficult to clearly see where I'm going sometimes. It's also hard to judge precisely how close I am to the car immediately in front of me.

Thanks for keeping an attentive watch on the pulse of the community.

Here a few examples from previous TOCA's chasecams. The current chasecam in GRID is to low. When you compare chasecam with these screenshots you see exactly what is wrong with them in GAS.

I have played mostly in the touring discipline and here I find the chasecam too low. It's extremely difficult to judge what is happening in front of you. You can't see apexes and opponents in front of the car.

I would be great of the camera could be raised. Both views are 2 low. I prefer the chasecam closer to the car. In the second view the car is to far away. If we take the chasecam closer to the car it has to be raised a bit and the angle should change as well. See the first screenshots of TOCA as an example. Personally I find those the best you have made so far and they give a clear view infront of the car.

Bumper cam needs to be raised, it is too low at the moment. Would be nice to have the option of being able to raise and lower the camera as an menu option when pausing the game. This could apply to chase cams too.

I know this is probably a little off topic, but I think it's worth mentioning, I absolutely love using the bonnet cam in traffic and spotting the next corner apex through the car in fronts rear windscreen, so Kudos on the bonnet cam CM. @P308R I didn't want to quote your whole post, and waste precious scroll time on another set of them fantastic photo's, but WOW! All off those images bring back some great memories of long days past spent racing! Cheers