Sign in to follow this  

2016 Formula 1 Smirnoff Russian Grand Prix

Nico Rosberg is on a roll with 3 successive wins in the opening races of the 2016 season, but Lewis Hamilton will be looking to bounce back after a disappointing start to his title defence. #LH44 is the only person to win in Russia, so he'll be looking to win a third time in Sochi.

In shock news, Smirnoff has been announced as title sponsor for the Grand Prix, and as part of the one-race deal, the podium champagne will be replaced with bottles of the famous Russian vodka brand.

That means that Kimi Raikkonen has already won the race, and it marks his first win at Ferrari since Spa 2009, and his first win since Australia 2013.

If Kimi wins I can see him falling off the balcony like this.
http://youtu.be/rBMRsY_UI4E

MBKF1 said:
In shock news, Smirnoff has been announced as title sponsor for the Grand Prix, and as part of the one-race deal, the podium champagne will be replaced with bottles of the famous Russian vodka brand.

WAIT IS THIS ACTUALLY LEGIT??? Someone buy me tickets to Sochi!!!

Oh for fuck sake :angry:

So that's Rosberg winning the race, and probably the title already....

lol                                                                                                         

If Hamilton was such a good driver he wouldn't keep breaking his car...

The Mercs are damn quick there, some impressive laps by Rosberg in qualifying. Expect Hamilton to make the podium from 10th given how much quicker that car is than anything else on the grid.

Hughesy said:
Oh for **** sake :angry:

lol, have you actually watched an F1 season before? Feel like I'm back in 2014. 

We're 3 races in to the longest season ever and Rosberg's obviously going to have bad luck at some point too. Hamilton is at least lucky in the sense that this stuff is happening in qualifying and not the race. 

VetteIfan said:
Hughesy said:

We're 3 races in to the longest season ever and Rosberg's obviously going to have bad luck at some point too. Hamilton is at least lucky in the sense that this stuff is happening in qualifying and not the race. 
I have probably been watching F1 longer than you have been alive ;)
Yes a comeback is possible, no I don't think it will happen, Hamilton is on the back foot massively and doesn't look motivated. This is a long season, and Hamilton has already had 2 failures which isn't good due to the rules...

VetteIfan said:
Hughesy said:

If he wins tomorrow I don't think it'll matter he'll obviously put himself into an odds on favourite position. Generally those that end up on the kind of streak he's on at the moment end up walking away with the title in the end Schumacher  did it so did Mansell in 92 when he won the first 5 races in 92. It would a complete reversal of fortune for it to stop I think especially given the only car that seems to be able to match him is mysteriously breaking down a lot atm. Because Hamilton I think is the only guy right now that can match him. Right now though unfortunately he doesn't seem to have a car that is working properly.

Hughesy said:
VetteIfan said:
Hughesy said:

Yes a comeback is possible, no I don't think it will happen, Hamilton is on the back foot massively and doesn't look motivated. This is a long season, and Hamilton has already had 2 failures which isn't good due to the rules...
Maybe so, in which case you should know that other drivers have come back against far worse adversity than this before. At this point with 18 races left he'd need to catch up with Rosberg by an average of 2 points a race if he wants to be level with him at the end of the season... personally I'd say that's more than "possible", but whatever. 

It's possible, but it isn't exactly an easy task. Even more so with more possible (another reprimand) and guaranteed (power unit) penalties.

But yeah, the season is long, and we've seen crazier things happen in this sport. Like that one time where they bolted a flipping Merc engine in a Honda and won the championship. Or when that German won the championship with a margin of 3 points in a car ready to fall apart (I still maintain Newey made a deal with the devil that day).

The only thing clear as day is that Ferrari is not close to Mercedes. By no means of measurement. And that if Merc continues to prattle on about how close it is, I will have to buy a Merc just to drive it into a river.

Hughesy said:
VetteIfan said:
Hughesy said:

Things change very quickly in F1. Take 2010 and 2012 as examples. In 2010 going into the German GP Alonso was what, 50 points behind 1st place? And he went into the final race leading the championship. In 2012 at the half way point it looked like Alonso would win the title but he still managed to lose it at the last race. 

Nah, it isn't over by a long shot. If Rosberg retires today and Lewis somehow wins, the gap will only be 9 points. Then the next week it could be a Hamilton-Rosberg 1-2 and it will only be 2. That isn't exactly a stretch of the imagination. I don't really get why you don't think something like that will happen - it almost certainly will because people always retire during a season.

Had fun this morning reading many conspiracy theories about Mercs sabotaging Hamiltons car, some people really are deluded. :joy:

Always love the start of this race as its crazy. Lewis did slow down after cutting the corner, but did he still gain a lot? As it seems he did.

It looked like that Vettel crashed because of  Hamilton slowing down after cutting the corner? But need to see a replay.

Perhaps Kvyat should start from the pit lane for the next race, probably still find a way to hit Vettel.

Platy said:
Perhaps Kvyat should start from the pit lane for the next race, probably still find a way to hit Vettel.
Kvyat will just say i saw a gap and went for it.

Platy said:
Kvyat will just say i saw a gap and went for it.
I don't think the gap between the rear wing counts.

This is slowly becoming an absolute disaster of a season for Ferrari and especially Vettel.

Have no fear, Kimi is here B)                        

Should've done it on Mr. Freeze instead.

Get it?

Because he's the Icem