Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wheel needed to be great at Dirt Rally?

i have been trying to get good but on later races particularly where ice involved there is no chance as no precision. Need a wheel realistically?

You can be great with any kind of control input, as long as you put your mind to it. There are people driving with keyboard and mice that are posting very competitive times.

I'd personally recommend the Logitech G27 wheel myself though - it's a great allround wheel for a good price.

Well on the one hand that's great news because I don't have to buy a wheel. On the other hand this confirms I am awful! ;)

I'd personally recommend the Logitech G27 wheel myself though - it's a great allround wheel for a good price.
I can't agree more. Or Thrustmaster T150.

lol

What pad are you using?                              

I've got setting for a 360 pad if you want to try them.

I'm using an elite. I probably can't get a wheel because I sit on a sofa facing a tv at the end of the sofa (so I lie down on the sofa to play). I will try those settings! I'm so bad. Have all assist off though and refuse to switch any on!!! :)

I'm using an elite. I probably can't get a wheel because I sit on a sofa facing a tv at the end of the sofa (so I lie down on the sofa to play). I will try those settings! I'm so bad. Have all assist off though and refuse to switch any on!!! :)
Having the assists off is the right thing to do, anyway :] 
I find that assists hinder progress in rally games, as it tries to make the car handle like a road car, which isn't good. 

You don't need a wheel to pull up good times in DR. I wouldn't go as much to say you suck unless you have a hard time against the AI on elite level.

Ah ok. At the moment I am pretty much just doing career. I will try against elite on a course and let you know where I place. I will use the Opel cadet, which race you think?

Ah ok. At the moment I am pretty much just doing career. I will try against elite on a course and let you know where I place. I will use the Opel cadet, which race you think?
I'd focus on a rally that's not your strongest, or alternatively pick a rally you're okay at but want to improve in. If you just want to test yourself in regards to precision then I would pick Greece. 

I said yes, but that's purely because I think I can make much more smooth corners, but I'm pretty sure with enough practice you can get the same result with a controller or keyboard, but it's much more fun with a wheel.

Ok so I'm doing career and during the first location I got 5th when averaged out. 5 locations to go. I don't know if that's awful or not. I don't know how many points I will need at the end to move up from elite to next level - anyone know?

Wheel definitely can help in getting better times, but it's not a must like some people claim it to be. If you put great amount of practice and you have great "control over your fingers", then you can be highly competitive. Hey, if I won a Pikes Peak daily, where you need a ton of precision, patience and control, then definitely anyone else can do that.

It simply will be more difficult than with a wheel, though the basics required to be fast are still the same. Lines, throttle and brake control.

Doing Sweden at the moment. Nightmare location.
Be patient. Drive slowly if you have to, take your time through each and every corner. You'll be surprised how quick it is, especially when you get some real track knowledge.

I would look for a cheap wheel if the problem is budget.

a Driving Force GT should be a great starter wheel for around 100€ 

There´s no way to compare the driving precission and experience with a wheel. You´ll never feel a countersteering or a back loss using gamepad or kb

OzoreXS said:
You´ll never feel a countersteering or a back loss using gamepad or kb
So that means I'm hallucinating when I feel that happening and it actually happens while using a gamepad, eh? :p 

wheel overall will be quicker if you good but on the tarmac as we have it now and in third person many people on joypads can do tarmac faster or as good.hopefully this gets tweaked at some point.

OzoreXS said:
You´ll never feel a countersteering or a back loss using gamepad or kb
So that means I'm hallucinating when I feel that happening and it actually happens while using a gamepad, eh? :p 
Chase-cam tells you visually what the car is doing, but no, you aren't 'feeling' it. That view would be a no-no for a wheel user. 

Hengist said:
RyuMakkuro said:
I wouldn't call it an hallucination. It's more like the power of imagination, filling in the missing gaps that 'usually' a wheel provides.
Last time I checked, you can have a "feeling" both from sense of touch and sight ;) For example, you can see someone constantly failing, and you can say "I have a feeling this won't end quickly". It's not imagination filling gaps, it's brain translating visual feedback into "feeling", just as it translates feedback coming from your sense of touch into "feeling".
KevM said:
Chase-cam tells you visually what the car is doing, but no, you aren't 'feeling' it. That view would be a no-no for a wheel user. 
It may be "no-no" for you, but not for me. I played with a steering wheel using that view (albeit crappy one) and it felt just about fine. The only time I would switch from chase camera is for a dashboard in a 3-monitor setup.
But that's how it works for me. Just as you prefer other things. There's no one "right way" of doing things here. My view gives certain advantages, your gives others. Just because you don't like it/can't use it, doesn't mean it doesn't work at all, as that's obviously not true.