Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This game is so frustrating if you can't play it consistently.

Man, try and survive a light contact with a wooden barrier in RBR with Realistic Damage. Then we can talk about frustration ;)

Lol, why do you keep disagreeing with people who give you pieces of advice according to their large experience with the game? 

PaloSamo said:
Man, try and survive a light contact with a wooden barrier in RBR with Realistic Damage. Then we can talk about frustration ;)
Did I play a different game? In RBR, even on realistic, I could smash into everything and survive just as in any other rally game.

It seems that you played a different game :) Or maybe people from RallyeSim tweaked the damage system. Either way it was much more unforgiving then here. And much more frustrating... 

what you want dude ? 

you want a casual mode for you, no way the game is fine like that play more that it.

I'm just noobing it up in open championships.  I'm already super happy if I see my name in 3rd place in the green boxes but I never even won a championship, let aside progress to the next tier.  But I don't mind, for me it's not about winning, it's about trying out all the cars and stages and have fun.  It's those "wooaaaaahhhh" moments when you take a few corners in (what feels to me) perfect succession what it's all about.  Back to reality the next corner I might park against a tree or drop in a ravine but who cares. :)

I do play with ALL assists off though for the extra immersion.  Because I am recovering from a knee injury I don't use my racing rig yet so I'm just sitting in front of my living room TV with a controller.  Which is really hard for me too steer, I'm not used to it.  But I can already see progress.  I a few weeks/months I will use my rig again, you can be sure I will be better then. :)

Anyway, as sharing the part of the frustration, I just totally my Delta Integrale TWICE in the same ravine on Monte Carlo and that was while this particular stage was 4rd out of 4th.  So near 8 full stages in total with no credits gained but expensive engineers that eat my wallet.  Yeah the game does have some frustrations but hey I'm not complaining.  Coming from Forza Motoryawn 6 and experiencing my first ever rally game here, I'm totally lovin' it.

Keep up the good spirit and don't give up! :)

I've found the game is punishing at first not only because of the tough tracks and damage but also because the available cars- the older cars are much harder to get the hang of now I'm into the 90's cars (and the 80's BMW) I finding it more rewarding and it's easier to throw them around. Stick with it, it's well worth the effort.

Aside from the stupid 'same Ai guy win's all but one rally in any given championship unless you do' which is just, well, pathetic & pretty unrealistic imo

Otherwise it's a superb game  :)

You just have to accept that you can't win in this game. I've played this from the start and I've not won even once. In first championship I was 3.rd.
But when you understand to not keep up false dreams then you can drive this just fine.

Other example is iRacing where general level is so high in races that normal guy can't succeed there, I've been in iR from 2/2009 and I have one win from same year, no more, and I simply don't have capabilities to win anymore, other drivers are too good.

This Dirt rally is same kind as iR, you just have to understand which is possible and which is not and forget everthing else.

KK78 said:
Aside from the stupid 'same Ai guy win's all but one rally in any given championship unless you do' which is just, well, pathetic & pretty unrealistic imo
*Looks at the last 10 years of WRC*

I think you confuse what unrealistic means :p 

If there was a Seb Loeb in every tier of rallying I'd accept the point, plus the guy winning at all levels in Dirt has a different name each time ;)

Raiggu said:
You just have to accept that you can't win in this game. I've played this from the start and I've not won even once. In first championship I was 3.rd.
But when you understand to not keep up false dreams then you can drive this just fine.
You have to accept that you won't win from the start. It's not that you can't win at all, those dreams are not false, the wins will eventually come.
But in the beginning it's more of a race against yourself, against the stage and the weather. Once you can get to the end cleanly and start improving times, it will click and you'll start to beat the AI as well. But it does take time and practice

KK78 said:
If there was a Seb Loeb in every tier of rallying I'd accept the point, plus the guy winning at all levels in Dirt has a different name each time ;)
If there was, more money for the licensing would be required. So just accept it's Sebastien Loeb/Ogier there every single time, just changing names xD

When I get to Elite I'd expect it mate, not before. It's my only gripe with the game, it feels fixed, repetitive and almost as if one driver is not affected by the trials of rally as the rest of the field are.

KK78 said:
When I get to Elite I'd expect it mate, not before. It's my only gripe with the game, it feels fixed, repetitive and almost as if one driver is not affected by the trials of rally as the rest of the field are.

But when winning isn't mandatory for progression it's okay as is.
It would be frustrating for more experienced drivers to beat everybody by 20-30 seconds right from the start.
You need to think that side of the coin too.

Yes. Currently the AI for the Alpine is "off"  I'm winning every stage at Masters' level by miles. Fun...at first, but subsequently lacking any challenge.

Kakkela said:
It would be frustrating for more experienced drivers to beat everybody by 20-30 seconds right from the start.
You need to think that side of the coin too.
I'm kind of frustrated, because the only place where I don't win by 20-30 seconds over AI is with Mini... in rallycross. Game is definitely too easy on the Master level. Then again, difficulty is a highly relative term. What for one can be unbeatable for the other can be a piece of cake.

only difference I found between open and masters difficulty is maybe 10-20 seconds slower AI and in Open, AI drivers make more mistakes.

Spokster said:
only difference I found between open and masters difficulty is maybe 10-20 seconds slower AI and in Open, AI drivers make more mistakes.

Completely different for me. Masters is a cakewalk and the AI has lots of random breakdowns. Of course I'm faster now than I was before, but not so much. At least that's what I thought.

One factor might be the choice of class. Some are much more difficult to beat. But that might be dependent on personal preferences, too.

This game is very hard, and those that say its easy is just trying to show off...
Its as OP says, frustrating and for me plain boring that they set the bar so high only 0,1% of the players playing this are able to finish "missions" in the GAME. 

Im trying to take the achievements where you have to win championship with different classes, and I been second on first 4 races. Same guy wins every race and when I check leaderboard, its 25-40 players in the world that is able to match/beat his time. That means I have to be among the best 50 players in the world to this, so dont try to claim this is easy!

Add the fact that slow speed and collisions are superarcadish, and when you hit a rock the size of a golfball in 10 mph the car actually flips...Thats actually a bit funny and reminds me of Burnoutseries...
The gravel on roadedges are made of concrete for some strange reason, the tracks have more jumps than a rollercoaster for a even stranger reason, the codriver is WAY off on his notes in some corners on every track and you cant trust him(Very big flaw IMO), so you have to learn the tracks instead of driving after his notes.

The driving itself is superb, but tracks and codriver are terrible, so for me that plays to have fun, Im hoping for some tracks where we can ENJOY some fun rallying and not have to be trained by Loeb to have a chance to win a rally...

coastkey said:
Im trying to take the achievements where you have to win championship with different classes, and I been second on first 4 races. Same guy wins every race and when I check leaderboard, its 25-40 players in the world that is able to match/beat his time. That means I have to be among the best 50 players in the world to this, so dont try to claim this is easy!

I doubt you are telling the truth here

Kakkela said:
coastkey said:

I doubt you are telling the truth here
Im playing R4 and instead of doubting why dont you play this chanpionship and see for yourself. According to achievementsites its 31 players that has done this achivement. My times are between 100 and 200 on leaderboard and I cant get a win. Im in Monaco right now. I have won the 2000 championship.

coastkey said:
The driving itself is superb, but tracks and codriver are terrible, so for me that plays to have fun, Im hoping for some tracks where we can ENJOY some fun rallying and not have to be trained by Loeb to have a chance to win a rally...
Might be some mistakes here and there, but in general the pacenotes ar pretty acurate. Speaking of Loeb, in SLRE the pacenotes, even on the earliest setting were too late
About those top 50 times, don't know where you got that from, but I've unlocked all of the achievements, including winning a championship in each of the classes, and my times weren't even close to being in the top 100, let alone top 50

I understand those defending the Ai times, or particularly the guy who is always top, but I don't agree it is a good thing. I get that it is a simplistic system adopted probably in the interests of costs and it certainly is not the 1st game to implement a less sophisticated system to emulate the real life sport.

For me however it is very transparent and while it means it is 'challenging' it also means you can pretty much guarantee that every championship will follow the same prescribed formula, namely;

- Only 1 A1 driver will remain competitive & consistent throughout- with the exception of one rally 
- That Ai driver will be immune to the same damage/incidents which affect the rest of the field
- Conversely you don't need to beat the top Ai guy all the time, you just need to make sure you finish 2nd which is pretty straightforward, albeit contrived, considering the rest of the Ai field will be minutes behind by the end of an event
- By doing this you can tactically focus on half the rallies that you do better in, for me this is Wales, Germany and Monte Carlo so as long as I beat the top Ai guy there there is a liklihood that I can draw level and this will give you the Championship

In short I love the game but a more competitive, realistic Ai engine would have made it amazing, 3-4 drivers battling it out, rarely with a clear winner until the final stage.

As it is it's a bloody tough game at times but don't expect people to not be hitting the reset button more often because Top Dog Ai Bob will only once in an event make a mistake.

After playing DR with a wheel for the majority of my 466 hrs on the PC, I bought the PS4 version for times when I just want a quick blast using the pad. 

I'll preface what I'm about to say with this: I'm not saying that the following is gospel, but I thought I'd share my experiences with PS4 DR in the short time I've owned and played it; time has been short due to a lack of free hours in the day to play on either platform (at the age of 26, more and more free time is slipping away), and that point plays a major role in this...

I've just completed the Open championship on the PS4, and it took me over 4 days to do so because of the aforementioned time constraints. I am pretty average when using a PS4 pad, mainly because I'm so out of practice using one for racing games. 

However, I completed every stage of that Open championship in first by being no less than 15 seconds ahead of the driver behind. 

Now, if I haven't got much time to play the game and practice with the pad, and am not able to play consistently, then what does my massive advantage mean? In my opinion it means that I've the knowledge of logical car placement, and the mental awareness of knowing when to push and when not to push. Oh, and throttle and brake management.

It isn't elitist, nor is it snobbery... it's just logic, and patience. I may have the advantage over some people in that I'm actually an avid follower of rally as a sport, and not just the WRC, like many others on the this forum, which has given me some knowledge about basic behaviors of a rally car. 

But ultimately, it's down to my approach to the game. So long as the buyer has done their research and knows that this is leaning towards a punishing simulation, then they can correctly approach the game with the correct state of mind. 

Practice makes better, but I hope that my story has inspired some of those whom struggle and get disheartened to focus and use their head; apply logic to their methods. DR on the PS4 w/ pad feels completely different for me compared to DR on PC with a wheel, so in regards to physical control it was a completely new experience, and I felt a little uncomfortable because of the transition.

But then that feeling disappeared. 

Keep playing :] 

I'll definitely keep playing and I appreciate your points Bear, I've done a little real life rallying in the past (for fun not competitive) and I do think Dirt has nailed the feel and potential dangers of the sport. I'm also sure your knowledge of the courses helps somewhat too- I don't doubt now only knowing the course but also where the chunks of time are is advantageous, I don't think any new player a few weeks in will be spanking the Ai like you are.

One side of this is how tough the game is to get to grips with for newbies but the other is how much of an effort it will be for most to even mildly master it. I'm here for the long haul and, simplistic Ai times aside, it's gonna be a hell of a run!!!