Jump to content Jump to content

Really? U sure? Cos I've raced Street, Open and Touring and my gearbox always, always degrades as the race goes on, and is "shot" (in the words of my radio guy) by the end. No collisions, just racing. I've got the race distance at 5x usually but I tried 3x and the gearbox just degraded faster so that it was still "shot" by the end.
SolidSean said:
I haven't experienced a loss of gears (through wear and tear without crashes) and even if I did, it hasn't impacted my performance enough for me to notice. Maybe you are being too aggressive out of corners?
Would aggressive throttle wreck an automatic gb irl?
GJ77 said:
SolidSean said:
I haven't experienced a loss of gears (through wear and tear without crashes) and even if I did, it hasn't impacted my performance enough for me to notice. Maybe you are being too aggressive out of corners?
If you are bouncing on the limiter and spinning tires out of every corner, something is going to get damaged, right?

As for the game, I'm not sure if this is actually the case. In fact, I've been told by my race engineer I have gearbox damage after a few minor collisions without losing ground with my competitors and my gears (at least the ones in use) still being there. I'm making a realistic assumption based on the information you gave.
SolidSean said:
GJ77 said:
SolidSean said:
If you are bouncing on the limiter and spinning tires out of every corner, something is going to get damaged, right?

As for the game, I'm not sure if this is actually the case. In fact, I've been told by my race engineer I have gearbox damage after a few minor collisions without losing ground with my competitors and my gears (at least the ones in use) still being there. I'm making a realistic assumption based on the information you gave.
How would an automatic bounce off the limiter? Regardless, thanks for the clarification. I do throttle hard out of corners but hard to imagine that's the issue, I mean throttling out of corners is standard practice amirite?
GJ77 said:
SolidSean said:
GJ77 said:
SolidSean said:

How would an automatic bounce off the limiter? Regardless, thanks for the clarification. I do throttle hard out of corners but hard to imagine that's the issue, I mean throttling out of corners is standard practice amirite?
The only way I would imagine an automatic would bounce off the limiter is when you powerslide out of corners. Drift events are a good example of how gears don't automatically shift up every time you hit the redline due to wheelspin.

True, throttling hard out of corners is standard practice in most racing disciplines apart from endurance, where you need to control your throttle pressure to maintain your tyres.
I've had an auto gearbox failure where it only left me 2nd gear to use which I found hilarious!  =)) Nice reality check Codies!  However, it was a one off and i'm not getting noticable damage very often at all unlike you're  reporting... even at 3x race distance.  Not tried 5x yet to be fair.

I run x5 race distance and use paddle shifters on my wheel. I have gearbox damage every race, and it makes a horrific noise by the end of the race sometimes but I've yet to loose any gears, and I haven't noticed any drop in performance per say. But I'm usually pretty aggressive with trans braking downshifts. 
You can bounce off a limiter in a AT if you are going at Top Speed and it just will not go any faster. Like when you run IRL cars at Indy. And the car will just not go any faster. Have you tried different gear ratios to see if that makes any difference in durability? Brake bias? The only reason I say this because of "wheel hop". I do not know if the game actually goes that in depth for these 2 ideas to actually come into play.

I too run AT but I have never had this problem either. But I have not ran that many offline races. Mainly online. I have never had this problem in MP.
You can bounce off a limiter in a AT if you are going at Top Speed and it just will not go any faster. Like when you run IRL cars at Indy. And the car will just not go any faster. Have you tried different gear ratios to see if that makes any difference in durability? Brake bias? The only reason I say this because of "wheel hop". I do not know if the game actually goes that in depth for these 2 ideas to actually come into play.

I too run AT but I have never had this problem either. But I have not ran that many offline races. Mainly online. I have never had this problem in MP.
I have my gear ratios set long enough to accelerate all the way along the straights. Brake bias generally to the front, though in one car I had to push it to the rear to get my nose in on the corners. I do tend to favour an open differential - could that possibly contribute to gb damage?
Saw this some time ago.

Hard to tell whether it is a bug or a feature !

For me in the circumstances described below it is nearly always gear 5 that goes missing.
--

OK I understand this now. Basically the problem is as Thorinbur describes. The gearbox gets damaged, but because there is no damage indicator for the gearbox, you cannot tell it is damaged, except by asking on the pit radio. 

One more point is when the gearbox is damaged, it gets damaged towards the end of the practice run (20 mins) on an automatic gearbox. In other words on an automatic gearbox for 10 laps of Istanbul GP circuit on the Openwheelers, the gearbox will always be damaged by lap 10. This doesn't feel quite right to me. If the auto gearbox shifting cannot go more than 10 laps without damage, how can a manual shift be expected to ? It would be nice to have some clues on what actually damages the gearbox...is it just shifting or does overrevving do it ?

Re the damage indicators, I also find it a bit strange that when you burst a tyre this is not shown on the damage indicator section. I understand that the real point of this is to show tyre wear on endurance, but it seems a bit silly not to use it to show when you are running on wheel rims as well.

All this was on PS3.
After more testing I'm now certain this is due to race length, Badically gb damage accumulates at the same rate for "Normal" as for "5X" so if you race at 5X you end up with five times more gb damage.
TUSMBOX said:
I have never ever experienced gearbox damage. I honestly thought they took that feature out of the game. I even tried to go out of my way to try and damage it, just shifting gears willy nilly. Nothing.
Have you got full damage turned on ?

What is your race in laps ? If you only race for 3 laps max you will not see it. Even 5 laps. If you want to see it go to Custom Cup, select the openwheel (first one I think) and go to Istanbul and do the 20 minute practice with an auto gearbox. After ten minutes or so contact the race engineer using the pit radio. As you get towards lap 10, maybe lap 9 you will start to lose gears. Normally gear 5 dies for me. FTR I lap about 1:50.

I'm on PC with a G27 and with full damage and i have never had any gearbox damage, not once. My shifts are not perfect, i sometimes shift down 1 too many gears and the wheels lose all traction, but still no damage.

I feel like you'd have to drive like a madman to break the gearbox in this game.
I've never had any gears dropped on me either. I've even trashed my Civic online to see what would happen to it but the only problems I've ever experienced is that occasionally it slips slightly when downshifting.

I don't call myself necessarily the best at gear-changes either. I have a habit of mashing them down as quickly as I can and making the car bounce on the limiter for a second or so. I've done some 3x races in custom cup too and still had no problems with it.

... I should count myself lucky.
Every single race this happens to me, at least with the open wheelers in the custom cup mode.

Lap 4 is when it starts, always. By lap 8 it gets slightly worse and by lap 10 a clanking noise starts appearing with gear shifts. After that it starts to affect the performance, gear 5 seems to disappear.

To those that claim to not have this problem:
-Which system are you playing on?
-How often do you ask for a damage report from the race engineer?
-Automatic or manual gears?
-TC on or off?
-ABS on or off?
-Any other assists?
-Do you use flashbacks?

For me:
-PS3
-At least once every lap
-Automatic gears
-TC off
-ABS on
-No other assists
-Yes

It seems like it would have to be a bug rather than a feature. Could possibly be related to using flashbacks since Codemasters have a history with them causing weird bugs.
TL77 said:
Every single race this happens to me, at least with the open wheelers in the custom cup mode.

Lap 4 is when it starts, always. By lap 8 it gets slightly worse and by lap 10 a clanking noise starts appearing with gear shifts. After that it starts to affect the performance, gear 5 seems to disappear.

To those that claim to not have this problem:
-Which system are you playing on?
-How often do you ask for a damage report from the race engineer?
-Automatic or manual gears?
-TC on or off?
-ABS on or off?
-Any other assists?
-Do you use flashbacks?

For me:
-PS3
-At least once every lap
-Automatic gears
-TC off
-ABS on
-No other assists
-Yes

It seems like it would have to be a bug rather than a feature. Could possibly be related to using flashbacks since Codemasters have a history with them causing weird bugs.
My list is pretty much the same as yours. But no ABS and I do not use flashbacks, so that is not the problem.

I think the issue is that they got the wear on the gearbox too bad. TBH the only reason I see it is because I run a long race (10 laps) although people on say 5 laps would start getting damage they wouldn't be able to wreck it enough to lose a gear. Maybe on manual they could.

It's hard to figure out how to do stuff like this in the game. For example you would never expect a gearbox to go after 10 laps normally ? But in order to make gearbox damage have real effect in the game at the laps most people do (3-5) they need to speed it up. 

I would have thought though that auto gears would be "the best" ie no damage to gears. I will moan again that since geabox damage is a feature their should have been an icon for it on the HUD.