DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

T150 rubber texture gets flattened by a damp cloth!!!

I was feeling the rubber getting sticky and with some residue from my sweaty hands so today I got a tiny bit of water on one of those yellow dusting cloths and wiped it a little to try to clean it. To my dismay I noticed the rubber got really sticky (like melting) and on one place that I passed the cloth not too hard or anything it completely flattened the texture, rubbed the whole thing out! WTH? How are you supposed to clean this then? Is the rubber on the T300 this crappy? It's bad enough that it happened to this one, I would get seriously p*ssed off if I had paid that much money and this happened!

That's good to know in case I decide to upgrade. Hope others can confirm your experience. I also noticed now that my flat has been getting quite warm these days due to the weather and that makes the rubber 'melty' and sticky. If I just rub my thumb on it, I get that white 'residue' that I mentioned that I thought all along was skin from sweating but it's actually rubber bits similar to what you get when you use an eraser on paper except much finer. This is unbelievably poor quality! I got in touch with them and hope to return it for a refund and get a T300 or (more likely to avoid rubber again) a G29.

No, it doesn't have a modular base. The T150 is one of the cheapest FFB wheels available so the build quality isn't going to be great, but that is odd that the rubber is reacting that way. The T300 is rubber-lined also but I haven't heard any complaints about it reacting, just that its not as comfortable as leather.

Hengist said:
I have seen similar rubber degradation on the DS4 thumbsticks, which I got with the release day PS4 (I believe that they use a different manufacturing technique now on later models). I ended up buying some covers that fit on the sticks. I hope that you do get a refund. Failing that, and worse case scenario, does the T150 allow interchangable wheel rims, like the T300rs? That may be an option for you.
That happened to my DS3, haven't had problems with the DS4 yet... The problem with the T150 is not quite as bad, but it's still unacceptable in my view... I've had more resilient pencil erasers!

Yeah it may come to the steering wheel tape. But to be honest, I'm so annoyed at this and at Thrustmaster (they asked for photos which I've sent yesterday, waiting to hear from them now) I may just sell it before it gets any more devaluing damage for a 2nd hand sale and go for the G29. I googled this issue and found a few other people complaining about sticky rubber on the T300RS as well, so not really interested in going for that one :-/

You can always buy a T300 base and a different rim for it. The 599XX rim is popular, since it's fitted with alcantara exactly the same that you can find on an actual Ferrari 599XX. There's also a version of T300RS with the Ferrari GTE rim. A lot of options there, all better than what G29 delivers when you compare different reviews.

Or you can go completely mad and go for this: http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/products/t300-ferrari-integral-racing-wheel-alcantara-edition

You get T300 base, T3PA pedals and that 599XX rim in a package that costs less than buying all of them alone.

I looked at all those options but they're way too expensive for me. Yes the Integral would be my favourite choice, the G29 is not quite as good but it's a better all-in-one package than the T300RS (better pedals) everything else costs way too much money.

Sorry, I should have stated that I'm on the PS4, so G27 is not an option.

Thrustmaster will have me send just the wheel to them to inspect the rubber and see if there was some sort of manufacturing problem. Then they should send me a replacement but anything else like a refund or an upgrade I don't think is an option...

Yup... But as soon as I notice the stickiness happening again I'll shift straight away. My flat has gone up to 30 degrees during the afternoon these last warms days and that seems to have sped up the degradation. Don't think this rubber can make it through a whole summer!

Just got confirmation from Thrustmaster btw, that the rubber used on the T300 is a different type than the one on the T150.

Damn, now that you mention it, you're right! It's more like 1000 / 1020 on the T150. How do they get away with that? 

I've said it in other threads, but I got the TM Ferrari special blah blah Xbone, the $400 one, and was pretty disappointed. For $400 the pedals and wheel rim were absolute trash. The start engine button is the d-pad and it literally fell out after about 15 minutes, and would only stay in sideways. At that point in time it was at my friends house , and I only used it for an hour or two. I went back a week later and the wheel was dead. It had somehow managed to fry itself. So I sent it back through Amazon and got a second one, that lasted just long enough to put the drivers on it before it died. At this point, I had already bought the $150 wheel add on that wasn't garbage, and the $150 pedals that weren't garbage. I managed to be able to thankfully return everything through Amazon before I got completely screwed out of $600. Others weren't as lucky. Some people claim the wheel add on shorts the wheel hub, but I know that to date, based on current Amazon reviews, that TM is now acknowledging it as the USB hub not having a ground wire. They were happy to SELL you another USB cable/port that you could try to fix yourself, while simultaneously voiding your warranty, and not being assured it would actually work. Not that their warranty is worth a damn anyways, as every report I've heard is terrible customer service and worse warranty support.
Someone mentioned that doesn't fly in Europe, (I'm American) but for a $400 product, that's unacceptable anywhere. The amazon reviews are full of "It worked great for x number of weeks/months, but now it's killed itself."
After the second wheel died, me and my friend took it apart, and had no reason to blame the USB cable. The board was clearly very sloppily handmade, had flux all over the board, and a lot of solder bridges on generic chips. The one decent TI chip they had, had three pins soldered together. FYI, in case you don't know, TI is Texas Instruments, and I'm not sure about Europe, but in America they make all the big graphing calculators. That's only a tiny part of what they actually do, they make some of the worlds best chips, and my friend works at TI and he's made products that are now in both consoles, motherboards, the apple watch, and more I don't even know about. Not trying to show off, but TM doesn't make quality products, and doesn't care, and I now refuse to buy anything from them.
I know they don't care by looking at other Amazon reviews of newer products that all have the same problem.

Yeah by googling this issue I could see that TM reliability is terrible. I also read one guy who opened the T300 and the G29 and although he preferred the force feedback feel on the T300, the insides looked a mess like a cheap toy while on the G29 they looked very neat and sturdy and built to last. 

pEst410 said:
Yeah by googling this issue I could see that TM reliability is terrible. I also read one guy who opened the T300 and the G29 and although he preferred the force feedback feel on the T300, the insides looked a mess like a cheap toy while on the G29 they looked very neat and sturdy and built to last. 
I ended up returning the TM and got a Fanatec GT2. For me, it came out to about the same price, and I haven't had the inkling of a problem. Fanatec has since discontinued the GT2, so I took it apart to see what it would take to put a custom wheel on it, (the biggest advantage of the TM) and the boards are flawlessly immaculate. They're perfect. The only thing is they hot glued connectors in, and that's a bit messy, but at least it doesn't short your board, and it comes off.
There's murmurs that Fanatec is making a new wheel hub for the Xbone as they released the budget wheel rim for XBone and it claimed that it works with a wheel hub they don't offer. Hopefully they'll actually go through with it and it's another budget oriented wheel.

Do any Fanatec wheels work with PS4? 

What's wrong with the G29 being a reskin of the G27? It was a good wheel with good pedals and most owners would have happily kept it if it was compatible with the PS4. Yes the T300 has some new FFB tech and you can replace the wheels, but they're expensive, and then you'd want the T3PA pedals too, and might as well get the shifter... I think the G29 is a package that is excellent out of the box, while with the T300 you pay a lot for starters and then are not fully satisfied until you spend more and more on upgrades... 

I haven't used a G29, but from what I've read they made the FFB system smoother and quieter, and significantly reduced the deadzone the G27 had. It may use the same design but I wouldn't say it's just a reskinned or rebadged G27. I don't think it's worth $400, but for around $300 it would be my first choice. I see the prices fluctuate a lot but they do come down to $300 every once and a while. It's the pedals and cost of the shifter that win me over on the G29, the Thrustmaster shifter is better but more expensive, and you pretty much need the T3PA pedals.

There is a Fanatec offering for PS4. It happens to cost about $1000. So, sorry. If only consoles could do custom controllers. The Fanatec shifter I have is way better than the TM one, which I had also bought. Unfortunately, it requires a separate table clamp purchase. And USB adapter as well. It is however a quick flick of a switch to a pretty decent SQ mode instead of TMs unscrew the top, turn it, flick a switch screw it back on. The biggest advantage of the TM shifter is being able to set it sideways as an analog handbrake, but the Fanatec handbrake beats it out as well. Overall just really unimpressed with any TM product. I have zero say on any Logitech wheel. I think back in the day my introduction to racing games with a wheel was my brothers friend with the original GTR. Was probably the DFGT or something.

So as an update, TM have repaired my wheel, they replaced the whole rim I assume (same wheel because same S/N). Now since I tried and didn't like the G29 and the T300RS has issues with FFB in this game, I'll stick with the T150 for now and try playing it with cycling gloves because after just a few minutes playing with bare hands I could feel that stickiness coming up again... Eventually I should upgrade to the T300RS.